Author Topic: New frame: Longteng RD301-D  (Read 18394 times)

BeR

Re: New frame: Longteng RD301-D
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2024, 05:33:38 AM »
Yes, Winow is OEM for Hygge but they told me that they don't install BB shell for them.

I don't know if it changes something in the quality.

INSVNX

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2024, 05:58:36 AM »
On the 301 and LC 17, the tyre clearance and vibe of the bikes are pretty different. Hygge is not on my radar, starting with the ugly paintjobs. Hygge would have to pay me to ride a frame that says Hygge on it. Would be like somehow having to ride a bike that says wallmart on it and be expected to be psyched about it.

I know that these 3 frames are different from each other, but that doesn't mean they cannot serve the same purpose. Frame for me should be:

- Pretty stiff, but nothing crazy. My current bike is uber stiff and yet I could live with that,
- Fit at least 30c tires - 32c would be even better and more future-proof, but since I'm light and even 28c (measuring 28mm on rim) is pretty comfy for me 30c is more than fine,
- Modern looking (that's very subjective),
- Fully internal routing (SMR on handlebar is fine),
- Geometry that fits me,
- Fit the 105 11sp mechanical group with hydraulic brakes (I already have that ready to fit on new bike).

All of these frames actually meets my requirements. Now it comes to the price and how easy the process of getting the frame shipped will be. I live in EU so I'll have to pay at least 100$ for shipping for all of the mentioned frames. All of the frames are around 650-700$ shipped. I'm looking forward to order the RD301 (size 50) because the geometry is almost identical to SL8 size 52 and that fits me very well. That downtube man... The thing is so freaking thick, I don't know if it's only on pictures and videos but that looks so wide and massive. I find it funny, not a dealbreaker tho.

When it comes down to LightCarbon it is what it is, there's a lot of weird things going on with the LCR017 rn. I just want to wait and see what they say about the voids in the carbon and all of that jazz. Not looking to order a frame and then fight 1v1 with a company that says "Our expert says it's fine, if you crash we'll send you new one" because I'm not on a YouTube. I'd rather have that Aliexpress "protection" when it comes to them. Aliexpress is dodgy and all but sometimes they could solve some problems. The ST height is also kinda meh for me, it's just okay - it'll fit anyways. Also, that downtube bus ahh type thing smh, at least it looks skinny.

I have a lot experience with Chinese brands like Hygge, not specifically around bikes but I understand their thought process. They have okay product, pack money into marketing and say yes to everything even if you have to pay extra for something (they will inform you after the fact - obviously). Gotta be careful. You just have to ask questions one by one, be patient and ask the same questions few times in a different way. I like the painting they offer, that's subjective. The funny thing is - this is the cheapest option out of the bunch when I sum everything up and I could get it on AliX in around a month. The Winow frame is also on AliX, almost the same price matte black.

It's 60/40 with RD301 and Hygge. With Longteng I have to pay the invoice and pray that they send me the frame, on AliX (Hygge) I 'm not worried about anything because I could use pay after 30 days method and even stretch that possibly to 45 days - if something goes wrong I just cancel the order. I'm looking forward to Ahodesu build and what he has to say about the frame  :)

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2024, 07:45:10 AM »
Hygge is not on my radar, starting with the ugly paintjobs. Hygge would have to pay me to ride a frame that says Hygge on it. Would be like somehow having to ride a bike that says wallmart on it and be expected to be psyched about it.

I've seen a couple of frames without the HYGGE logo on the down tube. So I think you can ask them to leave it off.
The logo's and text on the frame are some sort of very thin decals. Waterslide or something else. So maybe you can remove them...

Serge_K

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2024, 08:41:58 AM »
I've seen a couple of frames without the HYGGE logo on the down tube. So I think you can ask them to leave it off.

If Winow OEMs for them, I'd liaise with Winow because i'd rather speak with a factory than with a broker / brand.

The Winow frame is also on AliX, almost the same price matte black.

With Longteng I have to pay the invoice and pray that they send me the frame,

LT is legit, if Lisa sends you an invoice, she's not going to run away with the money. I understand the concern, but for LT, you run no risk. I stopped using paypal years ago, doing bank transfers directly. To be fair, it's also because i absolutely loathe paypal.
If you buy a Winow frame, liaise by email w Terry, you're likely to get a better price than on AliX (TBC, though).

Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

INSVNX

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2024, 03:45:11 PM »
LT is legit, if Lisa sends you an invoice, she's not going to run away with the money. I understand the concern, but for LT, you run no risk. I stopped using paypal years ago, doing bank transfers directly. To be fair, it's also because i absolutely loathe paypal.
If you buy a Winow frame, liaise by email w Terry, you're likely to get a better price than on AliX (TBC, though).

I reached out to Terry, we'll see what he says about the FM236 :) You are right, it is better to contact the factory and Hygge also has very "unpredictable" support. Your comment about the contact with Terry does not really encourage me to get the frame from them haha I have to judge it myself tho.

I know that LT is legit, many chinese factories and manufacturers are great, but it's the same as it is with their frames - it is hit and miss. I believe that the % of getting very bad frame from LT might be lower, but you just cannot be sure. I've been there and right now I'm very careful when it comes to ordering from them. I also don't use PayPal, bank transfer only and I have the option to chargeback if things go horrible. RD301 is tempting tho, looks promising for that price.

I'm kinda considering something like the Delihea Rest Tank 2 - hideous name but the geometry is close to SL8/SL7. No idea who produces the frames, it is the same as TFSA so it might be open mould, no idea if it's EPS or not. It sits at the last place on my list, probably won't get it.

kwantani

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2024, 09:08:56 PM »
For those who decided to order from LongTeng, just keep this in mind...
-Does not come with rubber cover for the seat tube/seatpost junction.
-Does not come with internal storage bag for the downtube storage opening, for me. I think the other buyer got it.

that's the minor negatives when order direct from the factory, they don't supply you all the non-essential accessories. Make sure you check with them if it comes with the above when ordering.

Serge_K

« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2024, 06:25:45 AM »
For those who decided to order from LongTeng, just keep this in mind...
-Does not come with rubber cover for the seat tube/seatpost junction.
-Does not come with internal storage bag for the downtube storage opening, for me. I think the other buyer got it.

that's the minor negatives when order direct from the factory, they don't supply you all the non-essential accessories. Make sure you check with them if it comes with the above when ordering.

I think you can ask for them sepcifically. Pretty sure the rubber cover they just forgot: I'm looking at my 268 as i type this, and i have a rubber cover...
The storage bag, you'd think that you'd obviously have it included in the package, but then again, they charge separate for thru axles, bearings and all these things, so they probably expect to charge extra for the storage bag. I would suggest you point it out to Alisa for future reference: it's in everybody's interest that people have the option to buy the storage bag. When she sends invoice mock ups, she should put TA, bearings, storage bag.
One thing to bear in mind is that Chinese people doing bike stuff all live within a short distance of each other, but they're across the planet from their foreign customers. So they probably dont have in mind that shipping a tiny object across the planet is a major nuisance.

I know that LT is legit, many chinese factories and manufacturers are great, but it's the same as it is with their frames - it is hit and miss. I believe that the % of getting very bad frame from LT might be lower, but you just cannot be sure.

no idea if it's EPS or not.

My sample size of LT is 2. So, indeed, and unfortunately for the forum at large, i may simply have been lucky. Probabilistic decisions: all else equal, until further datapoints arise, i'll go w LT over Winow. If someone receives a dog from LT, then i'll revisit my stance.

EPS - i'm chatting with a seller that seems to be lying to my face about that very topic. Ask for pictures of inside the frame. Then when they say no, insist. After you ask 3, 4, 5 or 6x they probably will send a photo, at which point you may look at something that's obviously not EPS moulded, and if you point it out to them, they may 1. ghost you and shrug their shoulders because they lost a sale and thought they could get away with it, 2. keep face and keep lying. Either way, you will know.

It's 2024, i would absolutely never willingly buy a frame that's not EPS moulded anymore, unless it's 250 bucks. And even then, i'd spend more to get something that is, in fact, EPS moulded.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Ahodesu05

« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2024, 07:49:08 PM »
I know that these 3 frames are different from each other, but that doesn't mean they cannot serve the same purpose. Frame for me should be:

- Pretty stiff, but nothing crazy. My current bike is uber stiff and yet I could live with that,
- Fit at least 30c tires - 32c would be even better and more future-proof, but since I'm light and even 28c (measuring 28mm on rim) is pretty comfy for me 30c is more than fine,
- Modern looking (that's very subjective),
- Fully internal routing (SMR on handlebar is fine),
- Geometry that fits me,
- Fit the 105 11sp mechanical group with hydraulic brakes (I already have that ready to fit on new bike).

All of these frames actually meets my requirements. Now it comes to the price and how easy the process of getting the frame shipped will be. I live in EU so I'll have to pay at least 100$ for shipping for all of the mentioned frames. All of the frames are around 650-700$ shipped. I'm looking forward to order the RD301 (size 50) because the geometry is almost identical to SL8 size 52 and that fits me very well. That downtube man... The thing is so freaking thick, I don't know if it's only on pictures and videos but that looks so wide and massive. I find it funny, not a dealbreaker tho.

When it comes down to LightCarbon it is what it is, there's a lot of weird things going on with the LCR017 rn. I just want to wait and see what they say about the voids in the carbon and all of that jazz. Not looking to order a frame and then fight 1v1 with a company that says "Our expert says it's fine, if you crash we'll send you new one" because I'm not on a YouTube. I'd rather have that Aliexpress "protection" when it comes to them. Aliexpress is dodgy and all but sometimes they could solve some problems. The ST height is also kinda meh for me, it's just okay - it'll fit anyways. Also, that downtube bus ahh type thing smh, at least it looks skinny.

I have a lot experience with Chinese brands like Hygge, not specifically around bikes but I understand their thought process. They have okay product, pack money into marketing and say yes to everything even if you have to pay extra for something (they will inform you after the fact - obviously). Gotta be careful. You just have to ask questions one by one, be patient and ask the same questions few times in a different way. I like the painting they offer, that's subjective. The funny thing is - this is the cheapest option out of the bunch when I sum everything up and I could get it on AliX in around a month. The Winow frame is also on AliX, almost the same price matte black.

It's 60/40 with RD301 and Hygge. With Longteng I have to pay the invoice and pray that they send me the frame, on AliX (Hygge) I 'm not worried about anything because I could use pay after 30 days method and even stretch that possibly to 45 days - if something goes wrong I just cancel the order. I'm looking forward to Ahodesu build and what he has to say about the frame  :)

FWIW, I was torn between the LT301 and the LC017. 

What I really liked about the LC017:
- Weight (slightly lighter than 301)
- 27.2 seat tube
- Seat tube (again) available in both offset and non-offset
- Aesthetics - this is personal but I'm not a big fan of huge oversized tubes, the Aethos is my standard of beauty :)

Why I ended up going with the LT301:
- More neutral geometry - the LC017 has pretty aggressive stack, which I really don't need for what I do on the bike
- Tire clearance up to 38 - I plan to ride 32, and may never need anything wider, but ... always good to have
- Internal storage - I love not carrying stuff in my jersey pockets or saddle bag
- Longteng was more flexible on frame paint/design/decal - LightCarbon seemed a bit more fussy if you ask for anything beyond a basic paint job (but this might be irrelevant if all you need a stealth or simple one-color frame)

As far as weight, my size 52 LT301 ended up weighing 970g, which is the same as Hambini's LC017, so that ended being a non-factor.

I still think the LC017 is a better looking frame, but I'm very happy with my LT301.  It's being built up and I will share my ride experience after I spend some time on it.

INSVNX

« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2024, 01:27:30 AM »
I still think the LC017 is a better looking frame, but I'm very happy with my LT301.  It's being built up and I will share my ride experience after I spend some time on it.

Is the downtube on 301 really as thick and wide IRL as in the photos? From your video it looked so damn huge, almost e-bike territory haha

Ahodesu05

« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2024, 01:53:36 AM »
Is the downtube on 301 really as thick and wide IRL as in the photos? From your video it looked so damn huge, almost e-bike territory haha

It's thicc for sure, I think I could eat off of the downtube if I had to ;D

rasch

« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2024, 08:43:15 AM »
FWIW, I was torn between the LT301 and the LC017. 

What I really liked about the LC017:
- Weight (slightly lighter than 301)
- 27.2 seat tube
- Seat tube (again) available in both offset and non-offset
- Aesthetics - this is personal but I'm not a big fan of huge oversized tubes, the Aethos is my standard of beauty :)

Why I ended up going with the LT301:
- More neutral geometry - the LC017 has pretty aggressive stack, which I really don't need for what I do on the bike
- Tire clearance up to 38 - I plan to ride 32, and may never need anything wider, but ... always good to have
- Internal storage - I love not carrying stuff in my jersey pockets or saddle bag
- Longteng was more flexible on frame paint/design/decal - LightCarbon seemed a bit more fussy if you ask for anything beyond a basic paint job (but this might be irrelevant if all you need a stealth or simple one-color frame)

As far as weight, my size 52 LT301 ended up weighing 970g, which is the same as Hambini's LC017, so that ended being a non-factor.

Some tiny corrections lcr017 seat tube is proprietary. It's not 27.2
You can't compare weights unless they are the same size. I assume hambini has a 56 or 58. My 58 with painting and screws was 1.040 o similar
Lc is not crazy agressive. But yes, it's more agressive than lt301.
I'd prefer the internal storage as it's easier to store things than an ugly bar. Now I'm actually looking for a bottle like storage since I only really use 1 bottle.

Ahodesu05

« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2024, 09:22:10 PM »
You can't compare weights unless they are the same size. I assume hambini has a 56 or 58. My 58 with painting and screws was 1.040 o similar
I'd prefer the internal storage as it's easier to store things than an ugly bar. Now I'm actually looking for a bottle like storage since I only really use 1 bottle.

You are absolutely right on the seat tube - I got the LC017 confused with a Workswell frame that I was looking at, good catch.  This is what happens when you get older ... and why I'm not slamming my stem  :P

On geometry, I should have said that the LC017 was on the aggressive side for what I'm looking for.  Just fyi, I did a comparison on Bike Insights - the LC017 has slightly longer reach and lower stack.  Of course the lower stack can be mitigated by spacers and such.  So it's down to personal preference, both frames appear to be really good for the value.

PLA

« Reply #117 on: Today at 02:39:10 PM »

The fidlock one is big enough to store a phone + tools
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.