Author Topic: LTWOO eGR  (Read 6036 times)

trcycling

Re: LTWOO eGR
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2024, 11:52:19 AM »
I was wonderung why both break leavers have shifter buttons anyway? Would only make sense if both buttons/leavers can be used for shifting the rear derailleur, true.

Are there 2 leavers for shifting on both sides or just one leaver?

Both sides are set up for full control. Two paddles each. On one level, it kinda makes sense IF they are planning on adding a 2x gravel setup. Then it would be an easy add. But they only offer it 1x for now AND the battery case only has one port so you'd have to swap that out anyway. The battery case is surely a FAR cheaper component than the shifter.

I actually wrote to L-TWOO yesterday to ask. They confirmed that there is not currently any way to use both sides at once. The agent didn't say it was coming either but also said that IF it did they'd let me know :-)

Frankly, if they are going to ship the hardware that way, they should allow configuration of the buttons in the app. One option of dual control. But you could also set it up AXS style (up on one side down on the other)

trcycling

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2024, 11:57:04 AM »
I will try to ask them. Usually, I can contact them directly through platforms like Taobao or WeChat, without the need for emails. However, based on the feedback I received from secondary distributors in the past, the new versions of the EGR did not improve the waterproofing performance. In special cases, it is necessary to disassemble the rear derailleur and manually apply some waterproof sealant. But such an operation may result in the loss of warranty eligibility.

Based on the experiences of my friends, they had to wait until the rear derailleur got water inside and caused issues before contacting Ltwoo for repairs or part replacements (mainly due to water ingress in the rear derailleur). This process can be frustrating, and this issue may not necessarily occur in every kit. I am inclined to believe it could be a quality control problem. Moreover, purchasing Ltwoo from outside China would incur higher post-purchase costs, both in terms of money and time.

However, there have been some software improvements for the EGR, such as enhanced logic for situations like stationary shifting and accidental button presses. As for hardware improvements, there is currently no information available.

China does have similar forums, but we are not exactly like BBS forums. We are more like Reddit, with channels categorized based on discussion topics, and the discussions tend to be more basic. For more specialized discussions, we usually rely on WeChat group chats, which are more closed-off but allow for deeper conversations.

Interesting (and unfortunate) news on the water resistance. Do we have any idea where the ingress is? I was planning on using dielectric grease in the ports to help ensure that isn't the ingress. But I wouldn't want to have to rip apart a new one to coat it with that or conformal coating.

trcycling

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2024, 12:04:47 PM »
That's good info, and I'm sure many people would be interested in an electronic remote dropper post option. I think it would be neat if there were some compatibility between the eGR lineup and the eR9 lineup, so that an eR9 front derailleur could be paired with a eGR rear derailleur and still function.

Also, I don't know how open the protocols are, but it would be neat if those buttons could be used to control a bike computer (i.e. scroll through screens on a head unit). We have these 2 extra buttons just sitting there, sure would be nice if there were more things we could do with them.

THIS is the single most confusing decision I've yet seen made for this system. I noticed the same thing when I installed my eGR, that the battery pack has a space for the second power port but that it was blanked off. WHY?!!!  I can't imagine it saves them money, if anything it probably costs more in the long run to have to maintain two different part production, stock, etc. Maybe it was to prevent issues related to moisture or other things, but then why not a little rubber plug or something. Even if it wasn't an elegantly designed rubber plug, just some random bit of rubber shoved in the hole that was a PITA to remove later would be better than no port at all.

Assuming that their customers like their products and buy more of them, it sure would be nice to have an extra battery pack that could be used between the 2x systems and the 1x systems. I'm still wary of how long my eGR may last and wary of all the reports about failures in the eR9, but so far it's been great and the price was incredible. If that continues to be the case, I could see myself buying an eR9 for my road bike.

Two good observations.

On the mix and match, I think it was in a China Cycling video on the Shanghai show where there was a claim of cross compatibility on all the e components. So that would make sense.  I do find the dropper post thought interesting (and sensible) but not sure why you'd want two paddles for that unless they are going to make one that can be switch activated in both directions (someone has one of those with a pre-charge air tank allowing a certain number of activations on the trail)

As to the battery case, I had the same thought. It can't really be the economical decision, particularly when compared to a shifter with controls. There must be some reason but I can't figure it out.  The only partly sensible idea was from my son who suggested that the way that end cap is built, the molding has the two outer rings in it. But the inner 'post' with the contacts comes from an inside plate that is molded with the wires. If that's true, it might be more sensible to use one of those parts with a single post and a blank to ensure sealing in the other spot. Then again, I'd rather have a second port as a backup for a few pennies more.

FabioZang

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2024, 12:06:59 PM »
The attachment contains the reply I received from Ltwoo's official support regarding the waterproof performance of the EGR. The main point stated in the response is that the waterproofing of the EGR has been improved compared to earlier versions (at least according to their official statement).

... Do we have any idea where the ingress is? ...

Unfortunately, I don't have the physical EGR item with me, and my friends are also unaware of the specific areas where potential gaps may exist. All repairs are handled by Ltwoo officially.

However, I have a suggestion that may not be fully matured. Perhaps applying some waterproof spray meant for outdoor clothing on the outer layer of the rear derailleur could be helpful?

trcycling

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2024, 11:42:47 PM »
So, the installation gets serious and raises another question:

I was told by the seller that the brake calipers are post-mount compatible (only in fact which I'm not sure can be true). Conveniently my V1 Cutthroat frame/fork are post mount. But the brake caliper, adapters and bolt kit seem to be sized for and include M5 bolts. Post mount is M6... Any thoughts?

BTW, the RD went on and set up pretty easy. I was a dummy and started individually calibrating before doing the macro. Duh, the instructions say to do the macro on the 7th sprocket (6th on 11s) first. It's just that the app opened on the micro adjustment page and I forgot. So when I finally figured it out, I had to repeat the cycle.

No big deal. Just follow the directions and it's easy. It also shifts nicely in the stand even up to 50t. We'll see how it works 'under fire' on the road after I sort out the brakes.

Serge_K

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2024, 01:31:47 AM »
my er9 included all imaginable bolt lengths and adaptors for 140 to 160mm discs, something that costs extra and requires significant brain damage on Shimano. I think a very small fraction of the market cares about post mount (at least on the road setups), i wouldn't even want to pay for the shipping cost of bolts of another thread size. Shipping from China is a large portion of the cost of everything we ride in the West. 

trcycling

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2024, 02:54:27 AM »
my er9 included all imaginable bolt lengths and adaptors for 140 to 160mm discs, something that costs extra and requires significant brain damage on Shimano. I think a very small fraction of the market cares about post mount (at least on the road setups), i wouldn't even want to pay for the shipping cost of bolts of another thread size. Shipping from China is a large portion of the cost of everything we ride in the West.

Yes they do include a generous collection of hardware. Unfortunately a) I asked and was told they were post mount and b) the calipers are using an 70mm spacing that looks like post mount but uses M5 bolts like flat mount. Something I read tonight suggested that this is one flat mount standard (the ones on my road bike are much narrower at 30something mm) The included adapters are also 70mm rather than the post mount standard 74mm (seriously, who in the industry decided to invent a new flat standard 4mm different and using one size different bolts? ) I thought about drilling it out but there isn’t enough material in the right places. I also do not find anyone doing flat to post adapters for the 70mm flat variant.

And while you’re right about drop bar bikes being more likely to use flat mount, this is a gravel group set where post mount is not rare.

So, now I’m wondering what calipers might be compatible with the LTWOO levers. I know that early on they were bundling with other makers calipers, so I’m guessing the piston ratios are probably common. Maybe Shimano compatible since they went with mineral oil. If so, that would be great since apparently pretty much all Shimano calipers are compatible including across road and mountain groups.

f4keit

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2024, 05:20:43 AM »
Yes they do include a generous collection of hardware. Unfortunately a) I asked and was told they were post mount and b) the calipers are using an 70mm spacing that looks like post mount but uses M5 bolts like flat mount. Something I read tonight suggested that this is one flat mount standard (the ones on my road bike are much narrower at 30something mm) The included adapters are also 70mm rather than the post mount standard 74mm (seriously, who in the industry decided to invent a new flat standard 4mm different and using one size different bolts? ) I thought about drilling it out but there isn’t enough material in the right places. I also do not find anyone doing flat to post adapters for the 70mm flat variant.

And while you’re right about drop bar bikes being more likely to use flat mount, this is a gravel group set where post mount is not rare.

So, now I’m wondering what calipers might be compatible with the LTWOO levers. I know that early on they were bundling with other makers calipers, so I’m guessing the piston ratios are probably common. Maybe Shimano compatible since they went with mineral oil. If so, that would be great since apparently pretty much all Shimano calipers are compatible including across road and mountain groups.

Not sure about Ltwoo's electronic groupsets but I am running a GRX400 front caliper with my Ltwoo GRT groupset since the mounting brackets for their caliper were not compatible with my fork.

FabioZang

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2024, 06:25:24 AM »
...... a) I asked and was told they were post mount and b) the calipers are using an 70mm spacing that looks like post mount but uses M5 bolts like flat mount. ......

So, now I’m wondering what calipers might be compatible with the LTWOO levers. ......

What I want to say is that Ltwoo does not adhere to any known standards, whether it's flat mount or post mount. Ltwoo has designed its own specification and provides a bracket with the kit to install it on most flat mount frames. Therefore, you will find that the included screws are M5 size, not M6. Additionally, this Ltwoo-specific specification was not initially designed to accommodate post mount frames, meaning it cannot be installed on any post mount frame.

As for the second question, it is actually easily solvable. Any Shimano hydraulic disc brake caliper compatible with mineral oil systems can be used with Ltwoo's control lever, including but not limited to models like MT200, M6100, R7170, GRX400, and so on.

You just need to ensure that the syringe, olive head, and hose are compatible. I recommend using BH90 components across the board because BH90 hoses can be directly installed on all BH59 compatible components. As long as you ensure proper hose installation, you don't have to worry about any compatibility issues.

I have paired my GR9 control lever with the UR300 flat mount caliper using BH90 hose, syringe, and olive head, and the braking performance and feel are excellent. I have been using it smoothly for nearly 5,000km without any issues of brake fluid leakage or loss of braking power. So, feel free to boldly pair them together.

raisinberry777

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2024, 07:01:29 AM »

Basically any Shimano caliper should work - pick up a set of their basic MTB ones for your post mount fork.

trcycling

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2024, 05:10:21 PM »
What I want to say is that Ltwoo does not adhere to any known standards, whether it's flat mount or post mount. Ltwoo has designed its own specification and provides a bracket with the kit to install it on most flat mount frames. Therefore, you will find that the included screws are M5 size, not M6. Additionally, this Ltwoo-specific specification was not initially designed to accommodate post mount frames, meaning it cannot be installed on any post mount frame.

As for the second question, it is actually easily solvable. Any Shimano hydraulic disc brake caliper compatible with mineral oil systems can be used with Ltwoo's control lever, including but not limited to models like MT200, M6100, R7170, GRX400, and so on.

You just need to ensure that the syringe, olive head, and hose are compatible. I recommend using BH90 components across the board because BH90 hoses can be directly installed on all BH59 compatible components. As long as you ensure proper hose installation, you don't have to worry about any compatibility issues.

I have paired my GR9 control lever with the UR300 flat mount caliper using BH90 hose, syringe, and olive head, and the braking performance and feel are excellent. I have been using it smoothly for nearly 5,000km without any issues of brake fluid leakage or loss of braking power. So, feel free to boldly pair them together.

Thank you so much. I came to that conclusion about the L-TWOO mount being oddball and none of the plates compatible with post mount. A shame the seller specifically told me that it was post mount only. I'm hoping that was a language issue not bad info. (I will be telling them)

Also great info on confirming compatibility. I found a pair of post-mount RS785 calipers that will mount without an adapter nearby for cheap so that should work. The BH90 recommendation is also quite helpful. The Shimano spec sheets seem to indicate both BH59 in some configs and BH90 in others and who knows what's best with the LTWOO levers.  :)  So BH90 it is. I've heard the responsiveness is generally a bit better with 90s regardless of the design spec in Shimanoland anyway. Just have to wait for hose since none of my local shops have it in stock. (Who'd have thought the calipers would be easier than the hose?)

Thank you to the others on this thread for also and convincingly confirming the applicability of Shimano calipers.  I'll be back, hopefully with a success story and tips if all goes well.

jonathanf2

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2024, 07:21:57 PM »
I had a problem getting the ER9 LTwoo calipers+140mm adapter plate to line-up properly using 140mm rotors on the rear. I tried it on 2 different framesets and both of them would not line-up properly. The strange part is that I had no issues running 160mm rotors with the Ltwoo calipers+adapter plate. I ended up switching over to ZRace XG calipers which required no adapter plate. I literally just unscrewed the Ltwoo calipers and screwed in the Zrace calipers, plug-n-play style. They work well enough with no issues on long descents.

FabioZang

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2024, 10:59:41 PM »
I had a problem getting the ER9 LTwoo calipers+140mm adapter plate to line-up properly using 140mm rotors on the rear. I tried it on 2 different framesets and both of them would not line-up properly. The strange part is that I had no issues running 160mm rotors with the Ltwoo calipers+adapter plate. I ended up switching over to ZRace XG calipers which required no adapter plate. I literally just unscrewed the Ltwoo calipers and screwed in the Zrace calipers, plug-n-play style. They work well enough with no issues on long descents.
I have to say that I strongly discourage the use of this disc rotor. It completely neglects mechanical simulation and the bracket itself is prone to fracture. Furthermore, the pattern design is a mess, with hollow patterns distributed unevenly on several concentric circles. As a result, the friction rate of the entire disc rotor in the radial direction cannot achieve consistency, leading to the formation of grooves on your brake pads... It's a design that leaves me speechless.

The issues mentioned above are not exaggerated claims but rather highly probable events that have occurred multiple times on Chinese forums. I don't want anyone else to become a victim of this disc rotor.

jonathanf2

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2024, 11:33:01 PM »
I have to say that I strongly discourage the use of this disc rotor. It completely neglects mechanical simulation and the bracket itself is prone to fracture. Furthermore, the pattern design is a mess, with hollow patterns distributed unevenly on several concentric circles. As a result, the friction rate of the entire disc rotor in the radial direction cannot achieve consistency, leading to the formation of grooves on your brake pads... It's a design that leaves me speechless.

The issues mentioned above are not exaggerated claims but rather highly probable events that have occurred multiple times on Chinese forums. I don't want anyone else to become a victim of this disc rotor.

I'll just flip the pads around to even them out. I rotate my bikes every other ride, so I'm not too worried!

Serge_K

« Reply #74 on: Today at 09:53:28 AM »

Lol those holes are the most retarded pattern imaginable, it's almost funny. imagine the donkey who came up with the design.