Other Resources > After The Ride

Recent Ride Containment Thread - Post Your Recent Journeys Here

<< < (2/28) > >>

Vipassana:

--- Quote from: RS VR6 on April 27, 2015, 07:19:52 PM ---Went with my GF for a ride to break in the 062. The ride up felt like a grinder. With some short and steep sections. Its bacically an access road for maintenance vehicles to get to the towers. Way back down is fast and fun...I didn't take pics on the way down. ;D ;D

We gave the Niner and Chiner a rest in the shade before we headed back down.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/758193251

--- End quote ---

Those rolling hills look like a great interval training ground and scenic ride.  This is right outside LA?

RS VR6:
Yep...its about 40 mins north of LA.

You pretty much start climbing at about 1 mile in. I love the way back down. Pretty much wide open with rocky tech sections.

Sitar_Ned:

--- Quote from: RS VR6 on April 27, 2015, 07:19:52 PM ---Went with my GF for a ride to break in the 062. The ride up felt like a grinder. With some short and steep sections. Its bacically an access road for maintenance vehicles to get to the towers. Way back down is fast and fun...I didn't take pics on the way down. ;D ;D

We gave the Niner and Chiner a rest in the shade before we headed back down.

--- End quote ---

Beautiful pic in the middle! Looks like amazing riding to be had there. Nothing like that around me.. Some awesome wooded single track, but nothing like in that pic, unfortunately. Well, that I know of, at least.

And thanks for the detailed info VP. I was actually unaware that Lenovo bought out Motorola - I think I'll start doing some research into the best unit. Until reading your posts, I guess I hadn't realized I was missing out on so much gadgetry coolness. I love me some tech.

Just googled "best selling cycling gps unit amazon" and looks like the Garmin Edge 500 is a pretty clear favorite: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Cycling-GPS-Units/zgbs/electronics/617648011

A bit pricey at $200 but I'll dig into the features and see what it offers and if I need to step down a level to the Garmin edge 200 for $130 which is also very popular. Either way, looks like the Garmin Edge series may be the way to go.

Carbon_Dude:

--- Quote from: Vipassana on April 29, 2015, 10:43:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: Sitar_Ned on April 26, 2015, 09:08:23 AM ---Really cool data, Vipassana.. I currently have zero technology on my bike so I'm kinda behind in that area. You mind me asking what these images are from? Do you get all this with just a regular GPS unit? Comes bundled with software, I assume?

I'll definitely contribute to the thread when I get up to speed. The technology we all have available to us is just so damn cool.

--- End quote ---

I actually use a fairly old device called a MotoACTV.  It came out in 2011 I think, but was super neat for the time. It has built in Bluetooth, GPS, and WiFi, water/dust resistance, and a screen which is highly readable in direct sunlight.  It holds and plays music and has an android app that allows me to get notifications from my phone on the unit so I can see them while I ride (routes, texts, calls, weather).  Like I said, it was very advanced for it's time. 

I use it with the Motorola heart rate strap and their speed/cadence sensor.  It has honestly always worked flawlessly for me, though I have nothing to compare it to.  It never really got the appreciation I think it deserved because of it's high price at the time and the general lack of advertising.  Most people who new about it were techy, non-athletic types I think.  You can still pick them up really cheap now with their accessories being cheap as well, but it is getting pretty long in the tooth now and I think there are probably some better alternatives coming out with all these smart watches.

I'd also probably hold off on it because Lenovo recently bought Motorola and it's not clear how long they will continue to support the device or it's web portal.

But basically I use this device to track everything.  It auto uploads the various workouts to the web whenever it finds a WiFi network it knows.  Then I log into the webportal to view my workouts.  They give you profiles and overviews, but I usually download the data and plot it myself in Microsoft Excel.

I've found some very neat websites that help you visualize/edit/convert all types of GPS files too.  This is one of my absolute favorites:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

I think in a Garmin/Strava dominated world, their offerings are probably a better choice these days.

--- End quote ---

Vipassana, I work for Motorola, a different group than who developed the MotoACTV but I know the Mechanical Engineer who worked on that project.  He is also an avid cyclist, although he works for GoPro now.  When the MotoACTV was early in development it could do more, had a bigger screen, was bar mounted not wearable, and was planned to even have trails uploaded into the system so a rider could go somewhere they'd never been before and have the trail map available at the touch of a button.  Much of that didn't pan out but what they did finally ship was a pretty good gadget.

Vipassana:

--- Quote from: Carbon_Dude on April 30, 2015, 05:14:12 PM ---
Vipassana, I work for Motorola, a different group than who developed the MotoACTV but I know the Mechanical Engineer who worked on that project.  He is also an avid cyclist, although he works for GoPro now.  When the MotoACTV was early in development it could do more, had a bigger screen, was bar mounted not wearable, and was planned to even have trails uploaded into the system so a rider could go somewhere they'd never been before and have the trail map available at the touch of a button.  Much of that didn't pan out but what they did finally ship was a pretty good gadget.

--- End quote ---

Cool information.  You should tell that guy he did a great job and many of us are still enjoying the product.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version