Author Topic: IP-056 rear skewer help  (Read 3185 times)

driftthabimmer

IP-056 rear skewer help
« on: April 29, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »
So my frame is pretty much built except my LBS is confused as to what rear skewer to use. The rear axle is 142x12 and I couldn't find much on the forums about rear skewers. Any help would be appreciated!

Carbon_Dude

Re: IP-056 rear skewer help
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 06:17:20 PM »
We need a FAQ somewhere in the forums as this is one of the often asked questions along with derailleur pull and headset size.

The axle is an E-thru 12x142.

If I were to purchase/order one today, I'd give the DT Swiss RWS some consideration.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

driftthabimmer

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 06:47:04 PM »
Thanks for the help! Looking at the DT Swiss RWS, it seems it comes with the threaded nut for it... Apparently that's what they are confused about since there are no threaded parts on the rear axle of the frame.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 06:53:57 PM »
Yes, there are a couple versions of through axle, the E-thru is with the nut and is the one virtually all the Chinese vendors are using.  DT Swiss makes a few different RWS types so make sure you get the right one with the nut.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Vipassana

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 04:46:22 PM »
If I made a dropout to fit these frames (-056/057, -256, -036) that were threaded as to negate the use of a nut, would you guys be interested in buying them?  What price would you consider?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 08:10:31 PM »
I'm not sure I would be interested but it would have been nice to not need the nut for the through axle.  Really depends on the cost and how it looks.  I'd really want it to be black like the original.

If you did make one, I think there would be a reasonably sizable market for those that might want one.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

MTNRCKT

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 10:26:03 PM »
If you did make one, I think there would be a reasonably sizable market for those that might want one.

Not even considering the design improvement of the built in nut, people would probably just want to buy dropouts as back ups, or to replace bent ones rather than ordering such a small part from a vendor. There's probably a pretty decent market for someone to make little accessories and replacement parts for these chiner frames. Dropouts, custom frame protectors are a couple things off the top of my head. Although, I can't really think of anything else. Question is, would it be profitable enough to be worth the time and effort.

Vipassana

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 12:20:44 AM »
I'm not sure I would be interested but it would have been nice to not need the nut for the through axle.  Really depends on the cost and how it looks.  I'd really want it to be black like the original.

Not even considering the design improvement of the built in nut, people would probably just want to buy dropouts as back ups, or to replace bent ones rather than ordering such a small part from a vendor. There's probably a pretty decent market for someone to make little accessories and replacement parts for these chiner frames. Dropouts, custom frame protectors are a couple things off the top of my head. Although, I can't really think of anything else. Question is, would it be profitable enough to be worth the time and effort.

Let me work up a few designs and send them out for quote.  I'll try to find an anodizing shop as well so we can coat them in black.  This is a back burner project, but if I can do it while in front of the TV, why not?

cmh

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 06:30:38 PM »
Let me work up a few designs and send them out for quote.  I'll try to find an anodizing shop as well so we can coat them in black.  This is a back burner project, but if I can do it while in front of the TV, why not?

What would also be interesting is offering a dropout with the integrated threads - and the new Shimano direct mount to work with the Shadow derailleurs. That'd be pretty cool. :)

driftthabimmer

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 10:36:01 PM »
So just to update this post... I have no idea why my LBS thought this was so difficult or why there would've been so much trial and error in finding the correct skewer with threaded nut. I literally googled "12x142 skewer with nut", bought whatever the first link was and sure enough it worked. Maybe I got lucky? I don't know but I don't feel like this should've taken three days before they told me they couldn't figure out which skewer would work. Again, I've never personally built a bike so I could be very wrong.

Anyways, bike should be done soon. Need rear brake line internally routed, saddle and grips then it's all set. will post final pics and specs (including which mysterious rear skewer I went with) sometime this week, until then it's time to learn about saddles...