Author Topic: 29+ frames?  (Read 20861 times)

RS VR6

Re: 29+ frames?
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2015, 02:14:42 PM »
Dude, that's awesome! You'll be the first!

I don't live where it snows so I like the idea of the 3.0 tires over a true fat bike. I've demo'd a Foes Mutz. While the fun factor doing shuttle runs is super high...I don't think its a bike I'd be willing to own. Buddy of mine rode is Trek Farley on one of our local trails...and he was doing a lot more work than he should when pedaling on the flats and while climbing.

My next build may be a B+ bike to replace may aging Mach 5. ;D

bxcc

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2015, 02:47:09 PM »
Dude, that's awesome! You'll be the first!

I'm not sure, is that supposed to be encouraging?  :o  ;D

Now just to decide if I go with 29+ or 27.5+?? Oh wait, my bike budget is blown for a few months so it probably doesn't matter at this point.

A friend of mine was on ride #2 of his new Stache 7 during yesterdays ride so I'm waiting on some feedback from him.

bxcc

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2015, 02:29:57 PM »
So here is an update on the Workswell Plus frame. Supposedly there was a "mistake" in the listing and my order wasn't supposed to include the fork. They told me they would honor the price and include the fork. So here it is 12 days later and my package arrives! Pretty quick shipping. The box was a little rough with a rip in one seam. But otherwise it looked fine. So I proceeded to open the box and I was quite disappointed to find there was NO fork in the box. Otherwise the frame looks great and the headset was still in the box. So now the question is, did the fork come out of the ripped seam? Or was it never sent? I have sent a pleasant email asking them what the best solution is and I will go from there. It was ordered via Amazon so they can help too if things go south. I did take a video of me opening the box for the first time so hopefully that helps. So far I have been very pleased with Workswell so I hope this is just a minor hiccup.

And on anther note, 18.5" frame with BSA bottom bracket weights 1344 grams without the rear axle installed.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2015, 02:50:17 PM »
We're you charged for something you did not receive?  If not I would not worry about it as you have no formal complaint.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

bxcc

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2015, 03:05:37 PM »
When I purchased the frame it was listed as frame, fork, headset and rear axle. I have a couple emails with them because I wanted to clarify what I was getting and if 12k weave was an option. And in these emails, they responded with "yes, you will receive frame amd fork". The frame only was $80 cheaper on eBay so I would have went that way. But I thought why not get the fork if it's only $80 more. I'm hoping this is resolved smoothly. It could just be a shipping insurance claim. I'm not sure what they do on that end.

Turtle

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2015, 11:10:43 AM »

3) MTBtools on eBay now has some boost hub adapters allowing me to utilize my skinny wheels if I end up selling my 062 frame. Also allowing me to using my current 27.5 wheels until I can justify some Plus wheels.

I'm glad to see someone realized how easy it is to make a spacer kit from 100/142 to 110/148 for riders with a lot of existing wheels!
LTK 115D  ==> Good bike!

bxcc

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »
Update to the update. Workswell / Sobato was very quick to respond and they have been great to deal with. I should have a plus sized fork by the end of next week. I'm not sure when it will be rideable though. I currently have my 062 HT set up as a 27+ and I will keep it that way until I get some 29+ wheels for the new Chubby frame. I could steal parts off of that but I would then have to buy boost hub spacers as I do not have any boost wheels yet. And with the snow that we got, ski season is finally here.

So here is plan A:

Take the 062 and convert it to a rigid SS 29er. That should make it a sub 19 pound torture machine. Since I really do not feel like pulling out the brake hoses, I will leave the existing brakes on it and use the drivetrain for the Chubby bike. I will also be using some donated 710mm carbon bars and a Stylo GXP crank with a 32t ring. The wheels are DT Swiss with 18mm rims.

The Chubby bike will be built with the 10 speed Saint drivetrain with a XT 11-36 cassette. X0 carbon crank with a 32t direct mount ring. Easton Havoc 35 carbon bars cut to 760 and a 70mm stem. I just ordered the brakes for it from Merlincycles. M8000 XT brake set for $150 shipped. The only thing I do not have are the wheels. I plan on going with 29+ wheels as I want to roll over benefits on the east cost rocks and roots. I would love to do some Nextie / Hope wheels but I don't think the budget will allow for those anytime soon. So I will probably be on the look out for some slightly used wheels in the 40 to 50 mm size.

That's it for now. I will post up some pics when I get home. The wife dragged me to the mountain for some skiing this weekend.  ;D

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2016, 03:11:26 PM »
Sounds like a good plan!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA