Author Topic: Transfer of parts from Motobecane Fantom DS XTR FS bike to chinese frame  (Read 1951 times)

skibum616

So I'm at a cross roads.  I've been riding a XTR Fantom DS Full Suspension for the past two years and recently cracked the frame.  I need a new ride asap. I'm looking at some complete builds like a low end carbon stumpy (starting at $3,500 carbon), or possibly trying to switch over as many of the compatible components from my Moto to a Chinese frame.  I've attached the build sheet of the moto.   I have over the past year switched over the cranks to XT with a XT bottom bracket, and switched the handle bars and the stem, as well as threw on some stans rims, but overall its pretty much the same as when I bought it. 

I'm writing this post to see if any one can help me figure out which frame would be best for me to transfer as many of my components as possible, and what other parts I may need to buy for complete build! 

I'm new to this, and it's killing me not having a bike!!!

Thanks!

Carbon_Dude

My suggestion would be an IP-036, should be able to reuse the following:

Fork - if the steer tube is long enough
Wheels/Tires - if you order the new carbon frame with QR dropouts
Seat post - yes, looks like it is a 31.6mm
Saddle - yes
Seatpost clamp - if your new frame doesn't come with one
Brakes - you may need new brake line for the rear caliper if the run is longer on the new frame
Stem - yes
Handlebar - yes
Crankset - ??? The Motobecane info is not specific as to which bottom bracket is on your frame.  If you can, match up the BB style of the new carbon frame to what you have.
Shifters - yes, but you may need new cabling if the runs are longer.
Rear derailleur - yes
Front derailleur - probably not.  However, here is your chance to go 1x10 with a 42T rear cog conversion.
Chain - yes
Grips - yes
Pedals - yes
Headset - probably not.

So the two items you need to figure out are:
1) Is your fork steer tube length long enough?  Otherwise you're buying a new fork.
2) Is your bottom bracket the same as one of the options available on the new Chinese carbon frame.

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

RS VR6

That's pretty much what I did. Everything from my old frame switched over to the new one.

Only things I had to buy were the rear brake hose and a rear shift cable/housing.