Author Topic: Viperdriver's 18.5lb Hardtail Build  (Read 5689 times)

Viperdriver

Viperdriver's 18.5lb Hardtail Build
« on: June 28, 2015, 06:37:30 PM »
ordered this a couple months ago.  Wanted single speed and couldn't find a bike just how I wanted it.  I've been riding a 29er steel single speed for 5 years or so.

finally put it all together, really happy with it so far.  The frame isn't perfect, but plenty good enough for me.  The biggest issue I had was the rear brake posts.  Not enough clearance for the rotor to spin and not perpendicular either. I realize I could get a tool to do this or have a shop do it.  For now some washers are doing the trick.  A few passes with the dremel got enough clnc for the rotor.

19.5 lbs as it sits in the photo.  Still waiting on some carbon wheels in the mail, and a slightly wider front tire.  With those last two things I'll go tubeless.  Also ordered a longer rear brake tube so I can run the tube inside the frame, too short to do it now.

"Mister Mayhem"
062 17" frame painted gloss white , PF30, 12x142 rear axle
beer ebb PF30 to GXP
Easton EA70xl aluminum wheels
XTR Race brakes
160mm ice tech rotors
Ti rotor bolts
XX1 carbon cranks
Absolute black oval 32t chainring
Thunder Burt 1.9 tires w/ tubes
RockShox XX RCT3 fork w/ 15mm thru axle
Spyder twin tail seat
Cogalicious 18t cog
ESI Chunky grips
UNO 60mm stem
xpedo spry pedals
XXF seat post clamp
chinese carbon seat post "Easton"
chinese carbon "Look" bars, 720mm

First ride today.  The fork and brakes are amazing.  dropping 11 lbs from my old bike is fairly noticeable as well.  I'm 5'9", 170 lbs.  This 17" size seems just right. Also my first time for a tapered head tube and front thru axle.  Those are a huge improvement for a 29" wheel.

Oh, frame was 1134 grams.  That's with no seat post clamp, headset, or rear axle, but with the rear axle mount installed as it sits in the photo.  The rear axle that came with the bike was 73 grams.  The included seat post clamp was 22, and the included headset was 70 without the cap. 

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:59:50 PM by Sitar_Ned »

ottoreni

Re: Re: Workswell WCB-M-062
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 05:25:35 AM »
Nice looking bike! The white frame looks sweet!

Can you give more details on the frame not being perfect. You mention the rear brake mounts, and someone else has mentioned the cable holes.

Any more details on imperfections are appreciated as I am really thinking about picking up this frame. My steel hard just cracked, so I have a donor bike ready to go.

d34n

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »
@Viperdriver -  The head angle looks super steep on your bike, is that the photo or does it always look that steep. My anthem has a 71 HA but I never thought it looked so steep. I don't know why but the reason I haven't purchased this frame is the 71 HA, wishing it was about a degree slacker.

Viperdriver

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:42:25 PM »
Nice looking bike! The white frame looks sweet!

Can you give more details on the frame not being perfect. You mention the rear brake mounts, and someone else has mentioned the cable holes.

Any more details on imperfections are appreciated as I am really thinking about picking up this frame. My steel hard just cracked, so I have a donor bike ready to go.
I was impressed with the quality.  Other than the brake post interfering with the rear rotor, and the fact that the face wasn't perpendicular to the rotor.  I figure at $400 I can live with those.  I suspect the $3400 Specialized version has the rear posts faced prior to shipment. Photo attached of the area I had to clearance, probably only a couple mm.  really really easy to fix.

The cable exits are nice, photos attached.  The paint looks really good and has held up well for the first week of riding, no dings at all during the build either.

Viperdriver

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 11:46:31 PM »
@Viperdriver -  The head angle looks super steep on your bike, is that the photo or does it always look that steep. My anthem has a 71 HA but I never thought it looked so steep. I don't know why but the reason I haven't purchased this frame is the 71 HA, wishing it was about a degree slacker.

The only 29ers I've owned all have had 71, same as this bike.  I guess to me it looks totally normal. 

Viperdriver

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 06:45:12 PM »
My Chinese carbon wheels showed up. Light Bicycle all mountain carbon rims with Hope hubs.  Setting up tubeless was super easy, used 3m packing tape, Stans valves, and Stan's sealant  Also installed a flat handlebar with slightly more curve in it.  Replaced the front Thunder Burt 1.9 with a Rocket Ron 2.25, handles corners much better. 

Done! 18.5 lbs as it sits in the photos.  Best of all, every part is exactly the way I want it. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:47:55 PM by Viperdriver »

Oolak

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 08:44:41 PM »
Damn, 18.5 pounds is awesome. What size frame is it Viperdriver? .

Edit: Nevermind I see in the OP that it's a 17 inch.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:58:01 PM by Oolak »

Viperdriver

Re: Viperdriver's 18.5lb Hardtail Build
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
Had mine for 6 months now and several hundred miles, zero issues.  Just added some decals this week, to make it look like my first bike, a Dyno Detour, from when I was 10. 

added:XX1 derailleur, trigger shift, and cassette. rocket ron 2.1 and 2.25 tubeless
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 11:52:51 AM by Viperdriver »

Viperdriver

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 10:57:43 AM »
photos, sorry for the duplicate post to the other thread. 

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 11:11:41 AM by Viperdriver »

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »
Nice upgrade. And I see you are oval too :)
Why the seat post has this shape ?

Patrick C.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 05:24:09 PM »
So you switched from single speed to the derailleur?  How did the weight change?  I never seriously considered a single speed, but was curious on how much weight it would drop.

Viperdriver

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 05:29:07 PM »
So you switched from single speed to the derailleur?  How did the weight change?  I never seriously considered a single speed, but was curious on how much weight it would drop.

Yes, that's right.  Added just over a pound for the shifter, derailleur, and cassette.  So far I prefer SS, but trying to give gears a chance.  That's XX1 stuff though, pretty light.  Probably could drop a couple pounds, esp if you have multiple chainrings up front.

Viperdriver

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 05:31:45 PM »

Why the seat post has this shape ?

No idea why.  I figure the Chinatown supplier thought it would look faster that way and he'd sell more of them.  At the time it had the most orders on Aliexpress for compatible 27mm seatposts.  Whenever I buy things there I always choose those with the most orders.  Probably faulty logic.

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 04:08:18 AM »
Let's say it is an aero thing then :)
I sort on orders on Aliexpress too

Were you already using an oval ring when it was SS ? If so, does it help?

Cnasta

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 04:37:50 AM »
Looks an imitation of the Mike Burrows seatpost designed for Giant Road bikes :) Got one on my "around town fixie" for instant Hipsterness :)

Saw one for sale on the Dutch ebay-alternative (marktplaats.nl), yours?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:01:27 AM by MTB2223 »