Chinese Carbon MTB > 29+ & 27+

Can 29er MTB frame assembled with 27.5er wheels?

<< < (11/17) > >>

bxcc:

--- Quote from: Carbon_Dude on March 29, 2016, 09:52:56 AM ---My riding is mostly trail/XC, I'm already using 2.35" tires.  However, I'm not really wanting to build another bike, but swapping wheels onto an existing bike might be fun.  I may even prefer the 27.5+ tire over my 29er tires.

--- End quote ---

This is pretty much where I was at. Luckily I already had the 27.5 wheels with 29mm internal rims so all I had to get was the tires. The WTB Trailblazers were 66 to 67mm wide at the widest point on my wheels.

bxcc:
Also, measure 32 cm from the axle and if you 75mm or more you should be good for the 2.8's on 30mm-ish rims.

Patrick C.:
No worries, SportingGoods.  Hope you enjoyed your trip to the US.  Were you able to ride anywhere?

I got impatient and ordered all the bits to build up the wheelset and the Nobby Nic 2.8 tires.  I found a few measurements on MTBR.com that gave me a little more confidence that it would fit.  It's tough to get a good measurement, but it looks like I should be OK.  I will definitely have less tolerance for dishing that with a normal tire, though.  If it doesn't fit, I guess I have to buy a new frame to go with the wheels. :)

Carbon_Dude:
Patrick, I'll let you go first, let me know how much clearance you end up with on your -057 and how much your bottom bracket height changes.

SportingGoods:
OK, I pulled out the measuring tape and found:
- WTB TB 2.8: 32.4 mm from axle, for the widest point of the tire. This is the side of the tire. 65mm wide.
- Nobby Nic 2.8: 34.3 mm from axle. The reason of the difference is that it is not the side of the tire that is the widest point but the tread. The widest point of the side of the tire is approx the same as WTB (which is about 1 mm thinner then the tread). 70 mm wide.

PS: I did not manage to ride any bike in US but made some plans for my return trip in July! I'll need to pack my shoes, pedals, helmet and kit!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version