Chinese Carbon MTB > 29+ & 27+

Can 29er MTB frame assembled with 27.5er wheels?

<< < (14/17) > >>

Bertzhong:
 :) you can do it ,  but what my sugestion is pleaes do not do like that. why the 29er frames be mounted with 29er wheelset ? because the control.
Honestly speaking, I used my 27.5er wheelset on my 26er frame, but it is not very comfortable to control it when you riding, especially when turning.
and like some guys said, the BB will be closer to the earth. it is easy to damage it .
anyway, it is a interesting idea.

Patrick C.:
First ride was good-  I started with around 18 psi in the front and 20 in the rear, which was a bit too high as the bike was still too bouncy over roots and rocks.  I got a bit of tire rub in the rear after I hit the first rough section, and had to stop to re-true the wheel.  There is almost zero margin for error- I don't have a good set of feeler gauges to check, but I probably have about 1 mm on each side of the tire.  After a couple of adjustments I had no more problems with rub, and after lowering the pressure a bit it felt better going over roots and rocks- it's still rough, but the extra air volume definitely takes the edge off and smooths out the ride. 

The bike felt great- handling and grip were awesome.  Control is excellent- it feels very similar to the 29er wheels, but just a bit heavier to steer and lift the front wheel.

For the second ride (today) i decided to drop the pressure to 15 f /16 r which might be too low for me (200 lbs).  It felt great for the first two miles or so-  I was definitely taking rougher lines that I would have before.  So of course, I cut the rear WTB tire.  I did it on this rock, riding over the top of the three instead of going beside them.  As I hit the last one it didn't feel that bad, but I felt sealant spraying my leg right away.  The tire has a small puncture on the tread and a small cut on the sidewall near the bead.  There was no damage to the rim, but it looks like the tire got pinched all the way up to the rim.  I walked back to look at the rock and it doesn't look that bad- it has a bit of a sharp edge, but I must have been going at just the right speed over the wrong section.   

The tire wouldn't seal and I wound up walking back to the car, but it was less than a half mile so it was easier to just walk back than to try to put a tube in.  It held air, but any time I pumped it above 5 psi or so it would start leaking again.  Neither hole looks too bad, so I'm hopeful the latex will seal up overnight or the tire can be salvaged with a patch. 

So far I think the mid-fat tires are a nice change, but I'm not going to get rid of my 29er wheels.  They do look skinny to me now, though :)

cmh:
Curious if the new Stan's race formula would have sealed that larger hole. Got some and started testing it.

http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Race-Sealant-Quart-P1977.aspx

carbonazza:
"Comprised of natural material" means the ammonia smell is gone?

Patrick C.:
Tire is holding pressure fine this morning.  Looks like I need a larger syringe or some way to get the chunks in there- I'm using the homebrew blend from this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/best-tubeless-brew-406115.html , but the syringe I use to put it in through the valve won't suck up the largest chunks from the auto tire slime. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version