Chinese Carbon MTB > 29+ & 27+

Can 29er MTB frame assembled with 27.5er wheels?

<< < (15/17) > >>

carbonazza:

--- Quote from: Patrick C. on April 29, 2016, 08:31:47 AM ---I'm using the homebrew blend
--- End quote ---

You mean the receipt from 2008 ?-)

Since 5/04 I been running:
1 part Latex mold builder
1 part Slime tubeless
1 part cheap antifreeze
2 parts water

Patrick C.:
Yes, a lot to go through in that thread :)

I didn't make any changes, such as adding glitter or mica.  I read through several pages but never found a definitive change to the recipe.

Patrick C.:
I've come to the conclusion that the 2.8" tire on a 34 mm inside width rim is just too wide for the -057.  I had been switching back and forth with the 29er wheels, but was using the 29er wheels more due to concern about damaging the chainstays. At best I had less than 1 mm clearance on each side of the WTB 2.8 tire, and in many spots it was closer to 0.5 mm clearance.  I bought a dial indicator to put on my truing stand and got the rim to within 0.25 mm, but this combined with runout on the tire is just too much.  The tire rubbed through the paint on one side, but the black underneath is perfectly smooth.  I already got a couple of weep holes on the sidewalls, so hopefully the tire will wear out before the frame :(.

For anyone considering plus tires on an -057, get a narrower rim in the back.  I don't know how narrow you'll have to go- maybe 25 mm inside width?  Not sure if I will try to rebuild the wheel or what- anyone know what the biggest 'normal' 27.5 tire is? Or is there a new plus tire that really isn't? :)

I still like the feel of plus tires, and for anyone starting from scratch you should certainly consider plus.  With that said, I don't know if I would do it again.  Maybe if more in-between tires come out a 34 mm inside width rim will be perfect, but today it just doesn't fit.     

While I can tell a difference in the softness of the ride, I think that any improvements in speed were due to improving my skill- I never really ride 'on the edge'.  I don't care about having the fastest time, but with the plus tires it was absolutely easier for me to lean into turns and get a feel for how hard you could push it.  This has improved my riding on the 29er wheels, such that I feel smoother and can carry more speed through the turns. 

I'll continue to ride them, but will have to true them on the bike before every ride, and will not trust them on any long distance rides.

Carbon_Dude:
Thanks for the update Patrick!  I look at the small amount of clearance I already have on my -057 with 30mm rims and 2.4" tires so I understand why you had only 1mm per side of clearance with 2.8" tires.

I would still consider getting a set of 27.5"x35mm rims and put them on my -036 like SportingGoods did, he said he has adequate clearance in the rear.  Or, I could upgrade my frame and wheels to go full on Plus size.

I still think 3.0" tires are the new standard and 2.4" tires will be for those that have older bikes.

Patrick C.:
After more adjustments I now have spots worn through the paint on both chainstays.  For now it is just cosmetic (the paint is thicker than I thought!), but if I continue to ride these I'm sure I'll damage the chainstays eventually. 

I think I'll have to shelf these wheels until I get a 2.6 or 2.5 for the rear.  Specialized is coming out with a 2.6" Slaughter, which may be just what I need.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version