Author Topic: My Matte UD IP-098 Build  (Read 4687 times)

mcarter14777

My Matte UD IP-098 Build
« on: June 15, 2015, 07:45:42 PM »
My dad has been a long time Chiner roadie builder, so I decided to give this Chiner thing a swing. He had a Niner RIP9 that he got for a steal (x9 drive&XT brakes for $1300!) and a broken clavicle and 3 fractured ribs later he figured he should stick to pavement. I then took up an interest in mountain biking as soon as he threw in the towel(had ridden bikes all my childhood though). So from then on the Niner was mine! I loved the bike and rode it for about 3 months, but one problem. My dad is a giant and didn't pass his genes. The frame was an XL and I'm 5'10". It was a little bit of a stretch.

I then saved up to replace the Niner frame with a Chiner frame ;D Got a more fitting 17" IP-098 frame for $650 shipped from aliexpress and started the frame swap. This was my first bike build ever and it also led to my first wheel build too 8) Wasn't too bad and didn't let my dad even try to help once!

Obligatory pics:

Leave any questions or comments below! :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:16:41 PM by mcarter14777 »

Oolak

Re: My Matte UD IP-098 Build
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:49:35 PM »
Awesome build, thanks for sharing. How does it compare the Rip as far as suspension performance?

mcarter14777

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 07:56:51 PM »
Awesome build, thanks for sharing. How does it compare the Rip as far as suspension performance?

I'm pretty much a beginner thats been riding for 4 months. All of my bikes in the past have been hardtails. Sooooo, suspension is nice lol ::). But the performance is probably under the RIP as it had CVA(continuously variable angle) suspension. But I could definitely tell that I needed to air down after I finally finished the build, as the new frames suspension geometry made it feel stiffer. Not sure if that tells you anything.

Oolak

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:02:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply, yeah.. Even for more experienced riders it can be kinda difficult to describe the subtle differences in performance of the various suspension designs.

So wait.. You did swap the same shock over from the Rip? And the same shock at the same pressure felt stiffer on the 098 and thus you let some air out of the shock? I'm sure that says something about the suspension performance of the 098, but I'm not sure if I'm smart enough to know exactly what that says lol
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:04:12 PM by Oolak »

bxcc

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:07:06 PM »
Nice job! Building a bike from scratch (even if it's left over parts) is definitely fun and rewarding. Not to nitpick, but it looks like the chain is a bit long. It's in little/little combo now so it's not too long, but long enough that you may get some serious chain slap. Bike noise, like chain slap and BB creaks, is a pet peeve of mine  ;D   

If the new bike felt stiffer with the same air pressure, the bike will have a different suspension curve. Probably ramps up quicker. Not that it's better or worse, just different and requires different air pressures.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:09:42 PM by bxcc »

mcarter14777

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:09:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply, yeah.. Even for more experienced riders it can be kinda difficult to describe the subtle differences in performance of the various suspension designs.

So wait.. You did swap the same shock over from the Rip? And the same shock at the same pressure felt stiffer on the 098 and thus you let some air out of the shock? I'm sure that says something about the suspension performance of the 098, but I'm not sure if I'm smart enough to know exactly what that says lol

Yup! lol but it could just be me not having ridden the bike for about 3-4 weeks waiting for parts from China. I only barely bled it. like a tiny psh! but now its plushy :P

mcarter14777

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 08:15:55 PM »
Nice job! Building a bike from scratch (even if it's left over parts) is definitely fun and rewarding. Not to nitpick, but it looks like the chain is a bit long. It's in little/little combo now so it's not too long, but long enough that you may get some serious chain slap. Bike noise, like chain slap and BB creaks, is a pet peeve of mine  ;D   

If the new bike felt stiffer with the same air pressure, the bike will have a different suspension curve. Probably ramps up quicker. Not that it's better or worse, just different and requires different air pressures.

Thanks! The journey has been fun and I learned alot! I haven't gotten to ride any trails as Texas has been getting hammered with rain  :'( But a few test bunny-hops  and in my normal gear combos(definitely not little little) I get no or hear no chain slap. but if chain slap becomes evident I will reattach my 3d printed chain guide. Just didn't want any zip ties on the bike if i could manage.. may end up rewraping the chain stay protector to hold the chain guide to the chain stay 8)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:17:42 PM by mcarter14777 »

MTNRCKT

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 08:36:55 PM »
I will reattach my 3d printed chain guide.

Oh ya? What do you have access to one at work, or you've got a consumer model like the Makerbot or what? Frkn awesome that printing up our own composite part for pennies is already a reality.

And yes, very nice build and pics. 

mcarter14777

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 09:05:16 PM »
I will reattach my 3d printed chain guide.

Oh ya? What do you have access to one at work, or you've got a consumer model like the Makerbot or what? Frkn awesome that printing up our own composite part for pennies is already a reality.

And yes, very nice build and pics.
Here's a pic of the chain guide/tensioner:

It swings side to side to accommodate different gears and also tilts forward and back.

I actually have an open source type printer that I built myself. Owning it is like a relationship sometimes. Give her a little love or a lot and she'll put out till you're exhausted. Then sometimes no matter how much love and attention you give her she won't put out!   ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:18:17 PM by mcarter14777 »

groussere

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 10:25:33 PM »
I'm really interested in this frame, and am on the verge of purchasing a 17". Does anyone know if I can run an internally routed dropper post on this frame?

What forks are you running on this thing? Was considering a 120 mm Revelation.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!