Author Topic: The Zipper. An eBay Fr-202 build  (Read 7970 times)

Zipper

Re: The Zipper. An eBay Fr-202 build
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 11:16:54 PM »
Does anybody think the routing of rear cable is ok? Just a quick run through of gears shows no interference, but not too sure sure.

MTB2223

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 11:26:04 PM »
No, the cable route is not okay. It should run on the outside, not between your frame and the wheel.

cmh

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 08:05:02 AM »
No, the cable route is not okay. It should run on the outside, not between your frame and the wheel.

Agreed with MTB2223 - even if there isn't any interference, it just seems to be asking for trouble. I guess the idea is to keep it out of the way of branches and stuff, but I've never seen that be a problem. I'd switch it around to the outside.

SportingGoods

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 08:14:04 AM »
Yep, wrong way :)

That being said, I don't get why Shimano keeps this design... SRAM's RD cable routing is so much better, straight to the derailleur, rather then this giant loop.
Shimano RD is designed for a cable feeding from the back of the bike, I have never seen any bike like that.

MTB2223

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 09:19:19 AM »
That being said, I don't get why Shimano keeps this design... SRAM's RD cable routing is so much better, straight to the derailleur, rather then this giant loop.
Shimano RD is designed for a cable feeding from the back of the bike, I have never seen any bike like that.

I've got also a Shimano XT RD, but it looks a little bit different. No giant loop there. It looks like Zipper is missing something on his RD.

Zipper

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 11:09:02 PM »
Mtb2223- is yours a long cage? Mine is 9spd med cage, brand new. Yours  Looks totally different!?

Well thanks for the replies, I'll reroute it & I guess that big loop is something I'll have to deal with then.

Got everything together enough to spin up & down the street, feels pretty awesome so far. Waiting for the right headset till I take it for a real  ride. I'll post up a build list & some pics soon.

MTB2223

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 06:16:21 AM »
Mtb2223- is yours a long cage? Mine is 9spd med cage, brand new. Yours  Looks totally different!?
Yes, long cage, 10 spd and also brand new (one year ago).

cmh

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 05:12:10 PM »

Well thanks for the replies, I'll reroute it & I guess that big loop is something I'll have to deal with then.

Got everything together enough to spin up & down the street, feels pretty awesome so far. Waiting for the right headset till I take it for a real  ride. I'll post up a build list & some pics soon.

Yeah, there's nothing missing, that's just an older non-Shadow XT derailleur. (how the hell did you find a "new" 9 speed XT non-Shadow derailleur?)

The newer ones have a more direct routing, but the old routing style worked well for years and years.  ;D