Author Topic: CarbonSpeed CS-041  (Read 6225 times)

dudleik

CarbonSpeed CS-041
« on: September 24, 2015, 10:15:28 AM »
Hello all. Thought I'd share my experience with the 041 as there seems to be so few posts about it.

Purchase: Excellent communication with Peter, frame received 6 days after I got tracking nr. More than enough protection around the frame in the box.

Build: Decided to go with the new Shimano M8000 XT 1x11 group. No trouble at all building it up. Bottom bracket was nicely finished inside, Shimano BB92 cups pressed snugly into place. Using Cane Creek 40 headset there is a little (1mm) play from the top bearing before it is tightened, this disappeared once it was tightened. If I was to install a front derailleur I'd have to grind/sand one side of the ferrule by a fraction of a millimeter because of the rivets securing the cable stop being too large. Really cool that the frame comes with replaceable covers for the front so there won't be any open holes when running 1x. I might use a little loctite on the screws securing the covers so they won't shake loose. No problems at all routing cables for the rear. The frame comes with optional covers for using full length housing if needed.

See picture for finished result. I'm quite pleased - it looks good! For pictures of the naked frame, I think TedS123 got it covered here http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,602.45.html .

Weight as pictured including M520 pedals (not in picture) : 10.0kg.

Vipassana

Re: CarbonSpeed CS-041
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »
Looks great!  Thanks for the post.  I think this is the frame to get over the 256 right now.   Both weigh the same, but he CS-041 appears to have slightly better features (like the swappable cable stops) and build quality seems a bit better (some the the 256's are rough around the edges like on the bottom bracket cable cover).  Also, the CS-041 solves the issue some have has with the seatstays to seat tube junction.  I really like that you can run cable housing completely through the frame without drilling/modification.  I'm dreading that conversion on my 256, but it's going to need to be done soon.

What size is this, by the way?  It appears the 041 has FAR more stand-over clearance than the more traditional frams like the 057 and 256.

325racer

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 05:13:22 PM »
Looks good!

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 09:11:03 PM »
I really like this frame.  Also like the cable covers that give the frame a more finished look.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

nick_n_ii

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 08:16:08 AM »
I'm very much diggen this frame. Only draw back for me, is won't work with my current wheels. My are quick release wheels.. :(

dudleik

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »
Looks great!  Thanks for the post.  I think this is the frame to get over the 256 right now.   Both weigh the same, but he CS-041 appears to have slightly better features (like the swappable cable stops) and build quality seems a bit better (some the the 256's are rough around the edges like on the bottom bracket cable cover).  Also, the CS-041 solves the issue some have has with the seatstays to seat tube junction.  I really like that you can run cable housing completely through the frame without drilling/modification.  I'm dreading that conversion on my 256, but it's going to need to be done soon.

What size is this, by the way?  It appears the 041 has FAR more stand-over clearance than the more traditional frams like the 057 and 256.

Thanks! It's a 19", loads of stand-over clearance. Only thing missing is an option for running a dropper post..

Patrick C.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 02:25:25 AM »
I'm very much diggen this frame. Only draw back for me, is won't work with my current wheels. My are quick release wheels.. :(

You should be able to get the frame with QR dropouts- all the pictures look like the frame has removable dropouts, similar to the -057 or other frames.  Ask Peter about it!

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com/Productinfo.asp?f=1327

nick_n_ii

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 07:44:04 PM »
How much did that frame set you back? If you don't mind sharing.

Izzy

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 08:12:23 PM »
Off topic but I see what looks to be the top of a fence in that pic (and I doubt you'd be carrying whatever it that your using for a stand on the trails) is that your backyard? If so, that's frkn sweet!

Also, yeah, this is the frame to get now. Sweet build.

dudleik

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 09:26:47 AM »
How much did that frame set you back? If you don't mind sharing.

Frame was 550 dollars, 90 dollars shipping. Prices change though, best ask Peter for the current price.

Off topic but I see what looks to be the top of a fence in that pic (and I doubt you'd be carrying whatever it that your using for a stand on the trails) is that your backyard? If so, that's frkn sweet!

Also, yeah, this is the frame to get now. Sweet build.

Thanks! Yes it's my backyard. Perks of living in the countryside.

Post ride update. No issues so far, immediately it seems to dampen more small bumps than my previous alu hardtail. This might be thanks to the very flexible seatpost I got alongside the frame though.

I got a question regarding the headset - I mentioned I had some play in my first post. Well, that wasn't supposed to be there, I wrongly installed a 41mm top bearing. The correct bearings for this frame are 41.8mm/45degree top and 52mm/45degree bottom integrated.

It's 142x12 rear only by the way. The non driveside dropout is molded(?), not replaceable. Compatible axles would be E-thru standard.