Chinese Carbon MTB > Fat Bikes

My N019 Build, NASA themed!

<< < (12/13) > >>

cmh:

--- Quote from: rvc on January 11, 2016, 12:19:06 AM ---There is no cover that I'm aware of. I'm not terribly worried about damage to the cables--I've had several bikes run exposed cable through plastic guides underneath the BB shell. No problems really with it in the past.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't be worried about that setup, all my road bikes and many non-suspension MTBs I've had were set up like that. What would be nice, however, is having an easy option for a full-run housing, I'm a big fan of that. I run only full-run housing on my bikes, and just last week my wife's rear derailleur stopped shifting well when her rear housing froze up. I'd like to convert her bike to full-run housing, but thanks to internal cable routing, I'd have to start by drilling stuff out.

On the upside, having her unable to shift out of first gear made it easier to keep up with her, so I might just spray down her derailleur before winter rides. ^_^

grebnet:
i just found this forum, have been browsing on MBTR.
I ordered this week from peter at Carbonspeed:

19 " CS-N019 frame
Carbon Fork
Headset,Stem,Handlebars,Seatpost
100 mm Wheels with SRAM Hub

now have to get components:
planning on XX1 1x11 Deraileur
need to figure out crank ( brand and spindle length)and Bottom Bracket , Chain Ring 28,30,32 ?brand , flipped ?

I am looking for any advice on any and all parts.
Brakes Shimano or Sram ?
Tubeless tires

I have never built a bike but hope to  find local help ( Syracuse anyone ??? )

Thanks in advance

cmh:
You might want to start your own thread for your build so it doesn't get confused with RVC's.

--- Quote from: grebnet on January 28, 2016, 03:28:55 PM ---...
need to figure out crank ( brand and spindle length)and Bottom Bracket , Chain Ring 28,30,32 ?brand , flipped ?

I am looking for any advice on any and all parts.
Brakes Shimano or Sram ?
Tubeless tires

I have never built a bike but hope to  find local help ( Syracuse anyone ??? )

--- End quote ---

Re: crank, with a 190mm rear end, you typically want a 120mm BB, but I think that I've heard of folks running 100mm BBs without too much trouble with the chainline. On my fatty, it's got the 190mm rear/120mm BB combo - but since 100mm shells are common, it also has a pair of 10mm spacers which fit on either side of the spindle.

They're not cheap, but RaceFace's new Cinch cranks are pretty sweet. Have a set on my wife's bike, and want a set for mine. What's cool about them is the spindle is separate from both crank arms, so you can get a wide spindle for the fat bike, but if you wanted to transfer the cranks to a "skinny" bike, you just get a new spindle. The cranks I have on my fat bike have the spindle attached to the one crank arm, so those cranks will only work on a fat bike. RaceFace has a really flexible system available there.

Brakes - for a while, Shimano has owned the disk brake market, but SRAM's latest offerings are getting really good reviews. I've got zero complaints about the Shimano brakes I've worked with, SLX, XT, XTR - they're all choice, but I got a set of Guide RS brakes on one bike and they're just as good. One finger power with easy modulation. Seems like brakes have become really solid.

Tubeless tires - yes, definitely. Only tires I've got experience with are the Vee Snowshoe 4.5, which measure just over 4.0" on an 80mm rim, and seemed pretty good in everything except... amusingly enough -- snow. No experience with anything else recently, but I hear the Husker Du tires are really sweet. Whatever you run, run it tubeless. I got a sweet set of 80mm carbon rims from Peter at XMCarbonSpeed that built up into a really nice set of wheels. Much easier to get rims designed for tubeless than trying any of the really hackish DIY tubeless conversions you'll see on the non-tubeless specific rims.

Unfortunately not in the Syracuse area, but there's a bunch of us who are more than willing to help answer questions!

final forum:
Get the 170mm qr factor cranks. Mine fit perfect on the ns-019.
Check out r2-bikes or bike 24.

Got my full groupset off r2. Great deal on tires as well. I would buy Dillinger 4-5 studless or studded but bike 24 offers great deals on studs from Schwabe in do it your self which make for alot cheaper.

I also noticed schwalbes jumbo jims just went down in price from bike 24 to unspeakable low price.

My 2 cents

wind_dre:
@rvc this crankset is 170mm spindle ??
As @final forum mentioned, he is on 170mm Sram spindle. I would like to use Race Face Aeffect spindle that acieve a 74,5mm Chain line with an acceptable Qfactor (205mm)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version