Author Topic: Longterm Review of my FM/IP-106 29er  (Read 2469 times)

andyfloyd

Longterm Review of my FM/IP-106 29er
« on: November 25, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »
I bought this frame from Peter last August 2014, I had originally wanted to get the 057 Frame but there was going to be a long wait so I went with the 106 frame without really looking too much into it. I got the 18" frame, they make it in 16,18, and 20. Oddly there is not a Geometry chart for the 18" that shows the HT angle. The HT for the 16" is 69* and for the 20" its 71*. I went and got an angle finder and measured my frame, what I got was a HT = 69.5* w/ 506mm a/c Reba 100mm and ST = 72.5*. Now, I have put 1,958 miles on this frame to date and I do 65% commuting and 35% trail on this particular frame. Its actually a really stiff but compliant ride, the bike can handle more than you think it can. I am actually going to be dropping a 120mm fork onto this frame bringing the HT to 68.5* which should be absolutely perfect for a Trail Hardtail. I had originally put more of an XC build onto the frame, but after riding it and seeing that its more capable than originally expected im going to build it more AM, i think the frame can take it easily.

This bike actually has a geometry really similar to a Pivot LES hardtail. The 106 Frame has a 12.1" BB, it really is able to rail corners it took me by suprise as well, its a very stiff frame it can handle 2-3' drops easily. Overall Im just really impressed with this frame and cant wait to drop a 120mm fork on it to see how it feels. I dont see a ton of information on this particular frame so I figured I would chime in. Here are a couple pics, dont feel like listing my whole build list too much work, lol.

Vipassana

Re: Longterm Review of my FM/IP-106 29er
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 03:29:12 PM »
Thanks for the long-term follow-up.  I really like the lines of the 106 frame, especially at the seatstay to seat post junction.  I would guess it is more robust than the 256.

I'm glad to hear the frame is serving you well. 

andyfloyd

Re: Longterm Review of my FM/IP-106 29er
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 03:52:32 PM »
Thanks for the long-term follow-up.  I really like the lines of the 106 frame, especially at the seatstay to seat post junction.  I would guess it is more robust than the 256.

I'm glad to hear the frame is serving you well.

Yea I like the lines too, its slightly curvy but not much. The seatstays are actually really interesting looking. From the side they appear very thin, but from the top they are very wide. Its an idea that they will add some compliance to the rear of the bike and I think for the most part they achieved that.