Author Topic: RIRO cassette failure  (Read 424 times)

dsveddy

RIRO cassette failure
« on: May 01, 2024, 04:46:39 PM »
See attached photo. This cassette has been super cool and lightweight, albeit has exhibited some very rough shifting around the 3-tooth jump between cogs 7 and 8.

After no more than 100 miles of riding I noticed a tooth was sheared off. Thankfully I was granted a return (after nearly 3 months of ownership), but I'm posting this as a fair warning to everyone else.

JonMS

Re: RIRO cassette failure
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 08:01:09 PM »
I was waiting for the oil slick colored 12 speed stuff but I guess I’ll pass for now. Thanks for sharing.

zerstorer

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 08:03:37 PM »
Better stick to all steel cassettes

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 08:25:08 PM »
I saw that cassette when it was released. The mixed steel/alloy design is a no-go for me. Every steel/alloy cassette I've owned always looks like crap with worn alloy big cogs. The newer ZTTO/Goldix lightweight all-steel cassette has been working great and they have an improved design over the Spedao/SRoad cassettes.

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 10:11:07 AM »
What's the material of the black cogs? Please be specific in what you bought because I assume RIRO, whoever they are, sell different types of cassettes?

jonathanf2

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 03:13:48 PM »
What's the material of the black cogs? Please be specific in what you bought because I assume RIRO, whoever they are, sell different types of cassettes?

Probably this one:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806294879687.html

JonMS

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 03:03:01 PM »
its aluminum

RDY

« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:23:22 PM »
It shouldn't break like that if it's a decent grade of well machined alu.  But it probably isn't, hence the result.  If you have an all alu cassette, then the smaller cogs are vulnerable.  But big cogs after very little riding is a sign of poor quality.

dsveddy

« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:02:42 PM »
It shouldn't break like that if it's a decent grade of well machined alu.  But it probably isn't, hence the result.  If you have an all alu cassette, then the smaller cogs are vulnerable.  But big cogs after very little riding is a sign of poor quality.

Yeah this is my take on it as well. SRAM’s alu cogs don’t break like this. And we have abundant 32 and 30t mtb chainrings that don’t break like this. I know that Alu inherently will wear fast, but it shouldn’t wear this fast.

I’ll also note that the treatment on the alu cogs was wearing incredibly fast.