Chinese Carbon MTB > 29er

Deciding between 057, 256, or 041

<< < (5/7) > >>

Carbon_Dude:
Same here, of those three, the -057 has proven to be reliable for most who want a hard tail, the -036 for those that want a FS Chiner.

multispoke:
Hi guys, I'm new here. Great forum!

Thanks for cmh for sharing all the gathered knowledge on the frames.

Is the 057 still the most reliable choice among the light-ish Chinese HT frames? I see that YishunBike has LCM904 that looks identical to the 041. The weight savings over 057 are tempting, but if reliability is questionable, then that's hardly worth it.
The other aspect of the 041/904 that I'm having doubts about is that connector between the ST and the TT. It may be there for strength, but IMHO it would limit the ST flex and thus make the ride less comfortable, no?

Speaking of the 057, they're listed as using the T700 carbon. My understanding is that T800 is stronger still, and thus the frames made with the latter can be lighter. Does anyone make a version of 057 in T800 carbon?
And, if it's not against forum rules, what's the current going price for a 057 frame?

One last question. Where does the Workswell 062 frame currently stand in this? They are claimed to be lighter than 057, but is there enough experience/reports on them to say that they are as reliable?

carbonazza:
The 041 had a bad batch with a defect on the seatpost.
It has been fixed now.

The 062 is more twitchy/playful than the 256 and 041, but less stable when you sprint(the 041 doesn't move at all).
And I don't know the 057.

cmh:

--- Quote from: carbonazza on September 14, 2016, 02:28:38 AM ---The 041 had a bad batch with a defect on the seatpost.
It has been fixed now.

--- End quote ---

...so the question is what will break next. Maybe nothing, but it seems (based on my statistically invalid sample of 1 frame and others I've read about here) that when you sign up for a newish/early batch Chiner frame, you get to be the beta tester. The crack that showed up on the 041 happened so frequently and under such ridiculously easy riding conditions, it's pretty evident there's no real testing happening of the new frames. It's great when you have a two year warranty with a reputable seller -- but when you spend a couple months waiting for the replacement to arrive (to be fair most of the delay was waiting for a new batch with the fix) that's time you might be without a bike. Maybe the 041 will be the next 057, but my recommendation remains to wait for others to prove it and stick with the 057.

multispoke:
Thanks, carbonazza.
So enough people had successful experiences with 041 by now?
I see your point on 062 being twitchier, with it's shorter chainstays.

I'm a 6'3" rider that's all legs, so I'm trying to find a frame with a fairly high stack number to minimize the headset spacers I'm running with a saddle-bar drop that's comfortable over long rides (5+ hours...will be a marathon XC bike).
It looks like the LCM903 or 904 may work in that regard. They have a shorter reach than the 062.
Does anyone have stack/reach numbers for the 052 frame? They don't have it in the table on the XMCS website.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version