Author Topic: Craig's .057  (Read 29249 times)

trekcarbonboy

Re: Craig's .057
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2015, 09:45:15 AM »
Fits great 325. I worked it a bit to get the best fit, and I'm sure there is some open space behind it but it looks great. No gaps at the edges. I just applied it with the tape that came on it. Definitely a strong bond. 
I also received my replacement rim from Peter 2 days ago. Haven't even opened the box yet. Only cost me half the shipping fee. Now if only I lived near someone on this forum who knows how to build wheels and could swap it for me. That would be Epic! ;)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:59:25 AM by trekcarbonboy »

cmh

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2015, 10:20:53 PM »
Now if only I lived near someone on this forum who knows how to build wheels and could swap it for me. That would be Epic! ;)

;D

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2015, 07:32:52 PM »
Finally added the finishing touch. And first day out had a guy in the trail parking lot ask for my card.  ;D

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2015, 03:04:53 PM »
Transporting in style!  8)
Wife's car is in the shop and she's got my daily driver with rack. Can't let that stop me.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2015, 05:00:37 PM »
I was going to ask what "hallfamchiro.com" was but then I typed in the address and figured it out :).

Glad you are enjoying your 057, mine is feeling a little lonely right now.  Not ridden in over a week due to many consecutive days of rain here in GA.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2015, 05:39:48 PM »
I was going to ask what "hallfamchiro.com" was but then I typed in the address and figured it out :).
TAX WRITEOFF!!!  ;D

Yeah we are getting that rain now.

325racer

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »
I think the last time I saw a TR7 it was on fire......

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2016, 02:18:58 PM »
Just crossed the 1,000 mile mark with this bike yesterday and still loving it! Those have been some tough, rocky, Northeast miles. Aside from a rim ding and a broken spoke (just last week) all is well. Still on the original everything that I built it with. I'm going to change the chain, cassette, tires and pads and pound the crap out of it for another 1,000. Maybe try out some oval chain rings too.

So that was July till April to log 1000 MTB miles. Along with plenty of road bike miles. I know some guys log that in a month, I'm just noting it as a milestone.

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2016, 10:52:04 AM »
I was doing a little maintenance last night in preparation for a trip and discovered that my SP7 seatpost has come loose at the top. The bonding of the carbon to aluminum has failed.  :( It's only moving a little right now but I suspect it wont take much for it to get worse. This seems to be a fatigue failure because I have had no crash to speak of. If Peter will warranty it I will be going with the SP6 to avoid any such problem in the future.

On a brighter note: I just replaced the tires, cassette, chainrings and chain. I went with 2.35 Maxxis IKON's and they fit the frame no problem. I hope I like them cause they where damn expensive.  ;D

MTB2223

« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2016, 04:18:54 PM »
I was doing a little maintenance last night in preparation for a trip and discovered that my SP7 seatpost has come loose at the top. The bonding of the carbon to aluminum has failed.  :( It's only moving a little right now but I suspect it wont take much for it to get worse. This seems to be a fatigue failure because I have had no crash to speak of. If Peter will warranty it I will be going with the SP6 to avoid any such problem in the future.

On a brighter note: I just replaced the tires, cassette, chainrings and chain. I went with 2.35 Maxxis IKON's and they fit the frame no problem. I hope I like them cause they where damn expensive.  ;D
I had the same on my seatpost (aliexpress version). Glued it and it holds for more than a year now. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,184.msg2838.html#msg2838

cmh

« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2016, 10:56:24 AM »

I had the same on my seatpost (aliexpress version). Glued it and it holds for more than a year now. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,184.msg2838.html#msg2838

Way back in the day I had a Slingshot frame (still have the frame) which needed a long 31.6mm post. At that point, the only options which were available were crazy expensive, especially since I was working at a bike shop at the time and getting paid very close to nothing. All I had on hand was 27.2 and 26.8mm posts. A Specialized Allez carbon was brought in for warranty work. Happened to notice the OD of the bike's down tube was 31.6mm, and the ID matched a post I had on hand. Cut the post down to about 2", sanded the finish off, then epoxied it in place to the end of the down tube, turning the small aluminum post into a long carbon post. I still have that seat post!

So yeah, you can definitely epoxy that thing back together.

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »
Well I got my new seatpost and it lasted a whopping .75 mile!  >:( 
I was taking my dog for his first MTB run so I was definitely disappointed.
As you can see in the picture below the SP6 (on right) that I was sent to replace the SP7 was less than half the thickness. It snapped like a saltine cracker with little effort.
Peter has sent me a new SP7 and I will be sure to check the thickness before installing it.

2.26mm vs 1.68mm

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:44:16 AM by trekcarbonboy »

stockae92

« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2016, 11:32:53 AM »
that's paper thin for a seat post. Glad nobody got harmed because of the broken post.