Author Topic: Bearing Spacing?  (Read 9403 times)

pyre

Re: Bearing Spacing?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »
After I received my frame, I pulled all pivots to grease and inspect them and noticed that on the back triangle only one spacer/washer was present on either side.  The bearing is centered and without a spacer or washer on the opposite side, the frame will rub and you will have movement on those back pivots. I picked up some washers from the local hardware store...problem solved.

I would bet that the movement and creaking people are experiencing is caused by only one washer on the back pivots.

Edit: forgot to mention I went with steel washers, not nylon washers.  I didn't want them to compress or distort around the bearing races.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:27:52 PM by pyre »

Gabby

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 10:01:04 PM »
Sorry to restart and old thread but this is what I am noticing.  There is play in the rear about 1mm. It is only detectable if you put the rear tire on the ground and grab it and move it side to side. If the bike is the air and you grab the tire and move it side to side. There is NO play. 

Where and what pivot mount bushings did everyone get? I have RWC for the rear shock.

I'm glad that I found this thread because this is exactly what is happening with my bike but I'd say I have even more than 1mm of play in the rear end (the play is really bad when the bike is on the ground) I do not see where anyone posted the exact fix or what to do or buy to resolve it? Can someone let me know ASAP.

Thanks,

Gabby

I picked up my bike from the shop and they told me the spacer was on the wrong side of the bearing. They swapped it out and the play seems like it is almost gone but not 100% gone.  The black bolt is now tight and does not spin. I plan on riding tomorrow.

pyre

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 02:08:25 PM »
I think having a washer/spacer on both sides of the bearing is the solution.  The frame is going to rub on the side of the pivot without a spacer keeping them apart.  You do not want these pivots sliding back and forth on the pivot pins which will cause excessive wear. 

Apparently these frames are being manufactured with only one spacer on each bearing, which IMHO is a design flaw or poor QC.  THese pivots need a spacer on both sides of the bearing to prevent frame rub and side to side movement.

This is what mine looks like with the new washer on the inside of the bearing.  You can see the thick black OEM spacer on the outside.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:42:18 PM by pyre »

charlesrg

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 09:25:26 PM »
Guys, do you have specs on the washers you've added ? My IP036 has lots of aluminum washers and I was thinking about replacing with DELRIM or TEFLON/PTFE washers.

Please share if you have any info.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 05:53:42 AM »
So far I have not bothered installing any washers on my -036, when I tightened up the bolts that mount the shock I got all the play out of the system so I see no need to do anything else on my frame for the time being.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

pyre

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 11:56:09 AM »
I just used some cheap 1/4 inch washers from Home Depot, they are about 1.5mm thick:
Anything to keep the carbon from touching will work.