Chinese Carbon MTB > 29er

My FM-057 Build Thread.

(1/25) > >>

Sitar_Ned:
Okay guys.. This is a work in progress so there won't be too much exciting going on here for a couple of weeks, but I thought I'd go ahead and get started anyways, just so I can list out all of my components and keep track of them a bit better than I have been in my scribbled notebook.

My main objective with this build was to be patient and shop around for great online deals, and get the absolute most bike that I could for 2k. I didn't go for the absolute lightest bike that I could build, and instead tried to find a sweet spot for strength, durability, weight, and price. I could have shaved grams in quite a few places but with a riding weight of 220 lbs I tried to choose wisely. The Haven carbon bars and post, for example, aren't the lightest parts and I actually could have saved some bucks AND had a lighter bike. But as I've never owned Carbon and being in the upper range of rider weights, it was more important to me to have as much confidence in the safety of the bike as possible. That said, I realize I may have over built it a bit. But if so.. not by much. Guess I'll find out when I throw it on the scale for the first time, but I'm hoping for 22 lbs.

Bike will be built up as a 1x10 and will be mostly black with a white fork and a few red accents (like most other bikes it seems)

Frame: FM-057
Fork: Manitou Tower Pro QR15 80mm (wanted the 100mm but it sold out and Manitou actually has a slightly higher than normal axle to crown measurement so it should be all good)
Headset: Cane Creek 40 series
Stem: Easton Haven 75mm
Handlebars: Carbon Easton Haven 711mm
Rear Shifter: XT SL-M780
Rear Derailleur: SLX shadow plus
Brakes: Shimano Deore M615 (Should have waited for the PricePoint deal on an XT set for $99. Meh, can't win em all, the M615s are supposed to be equally good and I dig the all black finish)
Rotors: SLX 160mm
Crankset and Bottom Bracket: Shimano M670 triple converted to single chain ring
Narrow Wide Chainring: Raceface 32t
Chain: KMC X10.93
Cassette: XT 11-36
Pedals: VP Vice (flats)
Wheels: Sun Ringle Charger Experts 15mm front, 142 x 12mm rear
Tires: Maxxis Ikon 2.35 tubeless ready, non-exo front - Ikon 2.35 tubeless ready, exo rear (decided to shave about 50 grams off of the front wheel by skipping the EXO)
Seatpost: Carbon Easton Haven
Seat: Fizik Gobi XM
Grips: ESL Extra chunky
Post clamp: Salsa Lip lock
Cables: Jagwire mountain Pro

Okay.. I think that's everything. I'll update with ride impressions, any build issues encountered, and pics and vids of the build in progress, and of course of the final product, soon.

Andy:
Looks like a good solid build.  Can't wait to see it!  When is your frame scheduled for delivery from Peter?  I bet you're getting anxious. 

Sitar_Ned:
On the EMS site it shows dispatched 2 days ago.. But when I try to track it on UPS it doesn't show at all so I assume that means it hasn't made it to the States yet. I'm hoping by Friday.

Yes.. anxious would accurately describe my emotional state  :o :)

Still have a few parts to order though so even when it arrives there will be some waiting left to do. But at least I'll finally have the frame to start putting some of these fancy components on, rather than having a pile of boxes in my closet. Not that I don't get some odd sense of satisfaction out of the pile of boxes in my closet.. bc I do.

So far, my favorite component is the Easton carbon bar. That thing is just sexy and it's going to look sweet with my UD black matte frame, and black Shimano levers.

Yes, I will be pretending to be batman as I fly through the woods. Don't judge me.

EDIT: Doh! ChainReaction sent me the brake levers with the silver covers. They look pretty nice.. so whatever.

Carbon_Dude:
The package will be handed off to USPS, you can track it there once it gets to the US.

I know what you mean about the Easton Carbon, they make nice looking stuff.

Bertzhong:
it will be a great bicycle ,man.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version