Author Topic: your thought on Shimano Ultegra grouset on aliexpress ???  (Read 1845 times)

curvenut

your thought on Shimano Ultegra grouset on aliexpress ???
« on: July 07, 2021, 08:58:10 PM »
Hi,

I saw  some shimano Ultegra 8020 grouset on aliexpress.

what are your thought on that?  legit ?  knockoff ?

::)

jokage

Re: your thought on Shimano Ultegra grouset on aliexpress ???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 09:34:34 PM »
I haven't purchased any Shimano components through AliExpress, but I'd confidently buy ones if I couldn't find them in my country.

From what I know, AliExpress is against fakes. Sure, you can find fake frames, etc., but the key is in how they sell them.

If they state that it's a Shimano R8020 groupset, you can be sure that it's a legit Shimano R8020 groupset. If they don't mention the brand and the model even though the pictures show that they look like Shimano R8020 groupset, avoid them.

If you look at fake frames sold there, they won't show the complete picture, and they won't say the brand.

Also, better to look at those which have the most purchases.

If you received a fake when the seller had declared that it's not a fake, you can report them to AliExpress. You should be able to receive a refund.

Edit: here's their rules for sellers regarding counterfeit items: https://sell.aliexpress.com/en/__pc/77Y4QdcvjD.htm
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 09:40:14 PM by jokage »

emu26

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 07:02:57 AM »
Have bought from 007bike before with no issues. They have a very good rep here. That's assuming they have what you are looking for, the last couple of times I have looked they seemed to be suffering from stock shortages like everyone else.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/3486078

tripleDot

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 03:46:13 AM »
The key to Ali-Express or even EBay is the vendor credibility. If the vendor have high positive ratings plus high enough products sold, chances are they got legit products. And a lot of times, if the prices are too good to be true, you'll notice that seller have no ratings or reviews and probably haven't sold anything yet. Stay clear from these. Sometimes, you'll see prices that are extra-ordinarily high, this is a strategy vendors used to denote an "out of stock" status without having to update their product listing. I don't know the logic behind it but that is the practice. For additional boost of confidence to buy from them, try to send them messages about their products and see how they respond. There are also ratings regarding their response and how fast they would ship the items. These are the things you should put importance with, not just because they have nice pictures and enticing prices.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 03:50:29 AM by tripleDot »
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

curvenut

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 07:08:55 AM »
thanks for the advice !

curvenut

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 09:18:28 AM »

I compare the price of AliExpress for the Ultegra 8020 Hydraulic disc,   it is about 400$CAN more expensive that , for example merlincycles.com (but  OOS).

Prices really are up lately !!

That hurt !!!

emu26

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 06:23:06 PM »
Prices can vary dramatically on aliexpress between different sellers. $40 difference between Anrancee and Alain Bike Store  https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20210714152107&SearchText=groupset+ultegra+r8020+disc

Merlins is still about $100A cheaper at their current sale price.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 06:25:30 PM by emu26 »

jokage

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 10:29:48 PM »
As what they sell are not domestically manufactured, you won't see real saving from them. If you can find them locally, especially if they are cheaper, go get them locally as it's generally safer and quicker. Even if there's any saving after the shipping cost and duties are factored in, it'd need extra time to arrive to your door.

As the supply is chocked, some sellers might want to get some extra from their items. Use something like aliprice.com to see an item's price history.

In my opinion, AliX should not be your first option for these non-chiner products.