Author Topic: Creaking and clicking noises CS-036  (Read 2443 times)

kaiser

Creaking and clicking noises CS-036
« on: July 07, 2016, 04:07:34 PM »
So the bike has done a few kms on dirt, probably around 400 ish.

I started to notice some creaking and clicking noises when I put some power into the crank. It felt like it was near the crank area so pulled the crank out, retightned the BSA and also pulled the main pivot joint out, greased and replaced. The noise has gone when applying power while seated but if I stand up and give it more power I hear the same noise again.

OK I havent done the 101 - make sure to grease all suspension joints before riding advise so Ill give that a go when I recieve the torque wrench.

Before I go looking for the noise, anyone else had this issue?

Im thinking that as I apply pressure on the frame, it flexes the rear triangle a bit and that makes something rub? Reason is that the suspension makes no noise when going up and down (can bunny hop and bounce around without noise). Therefore it feels that a more lateral action causes the noise.

I did notice when I pulled the main pivot out (the one through the frame near the crank) it has some paint on the outer part of the alloy sleeve in the frame so whatever has contact with that (and it is now greased) might cause noise when it rubs against it but there is no noise in this area when the suspension is active without power to the crank.

Carbon_Dude

Re: Creaking and clicking noises CS-036
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:38:11 PM »
A creak can be something as simple as your seat post.  Have you put some carbon paste on the post?  Sometimes a creak that sounds like it's coming from the bottom bracket can really be a seat post, pedals, cleats on your shoes.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

kaiser

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 01:35:48 AM »
None of those. Checked. Its getting worse again after a ride today. Ill pull all the linkages apart tomorrow and grease and see what happens. Hard to pin point this one.

SportingGoods

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 02:37:04 AM »
Unfortunately it can be anything. It's difficult to help here as you can only fix the problem by trying everything, one after the other.

I know how it feels, creaks drive me crazy! No way my bike should creak.

karstenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 04:04:43 AM »
None of those. Checked. Its getting worse again after a ride today. Ill pull all the linkages apart tomorrow and grease and see what happens. Hard to pin point this one.

Good call, I had the same creaking noise due to faulty chain stay bushing bolts as described in this thread: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,906.msg10414.html#msg10414

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 06:35:11 AM »
Just to illustrate it can be anything. My last, and hard to find, creaking noise came from my left Eggbeater pedal.
The cheap Chinese Ti spindle I placed was worn out after a month or so.
Carbon frames are like a drum. By the noise I would have sworn it was coming from the BB tough.

kaiser

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 11:00:06 PM »
Might have found it - not yet tested though because Ill have to buy a new washer of similiar size. Check below for a photo of the odd washer from the 4 I removed from the wishbone pivot near seatpost. Oversized and seems to be taking a bit of a beating. The 4 washers in the back pivots are fine (well there are 2 types).

Also does anyone know on which side the washer goes that has the the raised centre? There is a photograph of it below.

kaiser

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 01:39:42 AM »
OK the creaking and clicking is fixed. It was the odd washer in the wishbone pivot (right side when riding the bike) that was rubbing against the outside part of the bearing. Faaaarrkkkk.

Ive emailed Peter from Carbonspeed for another set of washers or washer.

Below find the temporary fix. 2 stainless steel washers together makes the correct width and general size and shape.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 03:41:13 PM »
Interesting.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA