Author Topic: [Solved] Crack in seat tube CS-041  (Read 6206 times)

cmh

Re: Crack in seat tube CS-041
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 05:13:03 AM »
base on the pedal you use, I believe you when you say the bike was not ridden "seriously" when it broke ... ;-)

Yep, exactly. It's had maybe a total of 6 rides under a 120lb woman and a 150lb man - the last ride with the plastic flat pedals.

but if the seat post went pass the section where it broke, that means the seat tube has room for the post to "move around", and enough so that it cracked site tube.

I'm sorry, that just doesn't make any sense. If the seat post is inserted far enough into the frame, especially as the frame is reinforced at this point, then there is no reason whatsoever for the frame to have broken here except defective product.

Just follow every single recommendation of this book
http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

I can agree with that. I've been building wheels since the early 90s (yeah, I'm old, what of it? ;D ) and got that a while back. Thought it was probably the best book I'd seen on the subject.

Very good! I have been lazy and just used the frame/fork to build the wheels. It still worked but a stand is definitely better. You will also need a dishing tool. I've been VERY lazy on this one too, but I really like this solution. 2 mugs/glass and some coins :

LOL - that's brilliant! That stack of coins might be worth as much as a dishing tool, but at least then you can still use them to buy more stuff.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:20:59 PM by cmh »

dudleik

Re: Crack in seat tube CS-041
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 10:37:50 AM »
Sorry for my absence in this thread, been a busy summer. However. Good news everyone! I contacted Peter with a picture of the crack, he requested som additional pictures which I provided. Long story short, a replacement frame is now on its way - the only expense from my side being shipping for the new frame. Impressive service from Peter.

Will be interesting to see if the front derailleur cable stop has been fixed as well (although I don't use it). Have anyone tried fitting a KS Lev 272 to this frame? It seems that the internal routing along the top tube would be perfect for the dropper's cable.