Other Resources > Component Deals & Selection

Feedback on Cheap Ti spindles for Crank Brothers Eggbeater

<< < (3/10) > >>

carbonazza:

--- Quote from: Carbon_Dude on June 16, 2016, 06:13:18 AM ---if I were to change, I'd try the second most popular pedal out there, Shimano XT/XTR.
--- End quote ---
I started with a pair of XT, but like sportingGoods it looks I'm used to some float now, and found them rather rigid, when using them as backup pedals.

@sportingGoods, I'm confused, do the XPEDO are SPD with float? Or only CB and Time provide it?

SportingGoods:
It's hard to tell until you have tried yourself. Numbers mean nothing. The Look S-Track claim 3° of float, this is very inaccurate, it is really 0°, you are stuck in one position once clipped. The SPD design does not seem to call for real float, so I would say the feeling is nowhere near CB or Time.

JohnnyNT:
One more thing to keep in mind is that Shimano SPD has 2 types of cleats, one of which allows a certain level of horizontal play : http://www.berklix.org/bike/shimano/cleats/ Nevertheless, for the Ti XPEDO pedals, steel shimano cleats are not recommended. Brass cleats are included and IIRC you can get TI cleats as well.

cmh:

--- Quote from: karstenhorn on June 14, 2016, 11:54:50 PM ---I bought from this USA based producer/seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/151575142140 and after 500 km of riding, they basically looks like new even I'm 220 pounds and heavier than their max weight recommendation.

--- End quote ---

Having had chain failures in the past, I wouldn't be in any rush to overload pedal spindles. Having one of them fail while you're really cranking on the bike is going to end _very_ badly, and if you happen to be going fast at the time, it'll be very badly indeed. I'm 220lb and value my nuts and face far too much to ride Ti spindles by anyone.

cmh:

--- Quote from: SportingGoods on June 15, 2016, 02:43:13 AM ---The problem with Titanium is that depending on quality it will be stronger or weaker then steel. I'd bet that the CB Ti spindle is high quality (but such expensive!) when the cheap ones are weak. I'd stick to steel.

--- End quote ---

No. Got a degree in mechanical engineering and was into bikes when I went to school so was particularly interested in the materials aspect. Titanium is _not_ stronger than steel - it may have a higher specific strength, which is to say its strength relative to its weight, but there is no grade of titanium that is stronger than any decent grade of steel.

Looking at specific strength, there are grades of aluminum that are stronger than steel - relative to their weight - but you wouldn't make pedal spindles out of it.

Even with the highest quality aircraft grade titanium I would _NOT_ run Ti spindles if I were over 180lbs or so - the diameter of the pedal spindles is just far too small, and the penalty for a spindle failure is too damn painful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version