Author Topic: 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 6Fattie 27+ Review  (Read 7389 times)

Carbon_Dude

2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 6Fattie 27+ Review
« on: August 11, 2016, 10:55:25 PM »
I have posted so much about the Stache 29+ I've forgotten to post some info about my new Specialized bike.  While technically not a Chiner, the carbon frame was made in Taiwan.  I've got about 60 miles on the bike now and can say I've very happy with my choice.  Comparing the build quality of the Specialized to the Trek, I would easily say the Specialized is a much nicer bike.  This makes sense since the MSRP of the SJ 6Fattie is almost double that of the Stache, $4,500 vs $2,499.  However, Specialized is blowing out this model and knocked off $1,400 of the list price to make room for the 2017 models.

The first thing I notice when riding the SJ is the plush ride.  With 150mm suspension up front and 135mm out back, this is easily the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.  I haven't had a chance to weigh the SJ yet but I'd say it's around 27-28 lbs, just about the same as my Trek Stache.

The next thing I noticed is how much it rides like a regular FS 29er, you wouldn't know the wheels are 27.5", obviously that's due to the plus tires being similar in overall diameter.  The ride is super-smooth, with the larger volume tires working in concert with the suspension.  Like the Stache, the SJ really swallows up the trail in huge bites.  Also like the Stache, the riding position makes you feel as though your CG isn't high on the bike, instead you feel like you are lower than you are.  It's a bike you could ride all day and not get a lot of fatigue.  My last ride was 18 miles and while I was tired, no part of my body felt like it was beat up from the trails.

There is extra grip from the 27.5+ tires but it's not nearly the grip of the 29+ tires.  On the other hand, the rear grip under braking might be a little better given the rear suspension works very well to keep the rear tire in contact with the ground.  The bike tends to squat under hard braking rather than transferring weight off the back wheel like a hardtail might.

Some of the niceties that you get with the SJ is a high quality finish on the frame, much higher stiffness of the rear suspension compared to my -036.  Also with the increased travel over my -036, I can really feel that FSR suspension is working, it's very active, so much so I can leave it in the firmer mode and still get plenty of travel on the trails I ride.  You also get the SWAT storage compartment and multi-tool storage above the shock.  The tool didn't come with the bike, that was another $30, but it's so easy to grab, I find myself doing quick adjustments when I stop and catch my breath from that last big uphill.

Negatives are few.  The bottom bracket is slightly lower than the Stache, possibly a bit lower than the -036 but not by much.  Which is the cause of a few unexpected pedal strikes.  Not terrible by any measure but noticeable.  The seat stays are wide, like the Stache, my calves don't rub them and they are not annoying, but when coasting I feel there is not much clearance between me and the frame.

When riding the 29+ and 27.5+ back to back, I still have to say the Stache is the more playful, fun-to-ride bike, but the SJ is the do-it-all, take-it-anywhere type of bike.

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

325racer

Re: 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 6Fattie 27+ Review
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 12:22:59 AM »
Sounds very similar to either the Santa Cruz Hightower 27.5+ or the Rocky Mt Pipeline.  I've ridden bot and would say almost the same about both.

Ps.  What length dropper post is that?  I'm liking to trade a 150, 31.6 reverb stealth for a 125, 31.6 reverb stealth for my dad's Hightower.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 07:02:40 AM »
I did a test ride of the SC Hightower a few months ago and felt that model wasn't for me, didn't fit me as well as the SJ.  Haven't seen a Rocky Mt. Pipeline.  Wednesday evening one of the local trail managers asked if he could take my SJ out for a ride as he was looking to purchase a 27.5+ bike and after I mentioned the price was $1,400 off MSRP he said that he was very interested but wanted to ride a RM Pipeline as well before making a decision.

I got to ride his Fatbike, a Borealis.  It was okay, but I prefer either my Stache or the SJ over a true Fatbike.  His Fatbike is down to 25 lbs so weight is not an issue.  I just felt the front end was light and my seating position was too far forward.  Also his brakes were not that strong.  All those things combined made me feel a bit uncomfortable riding his bike.  The trails were wet and the bike did have monster grip, if felt like I was riding a bulldozer though.  Not an agile bike, although in some ways more agile than I expected.

Seatpost Spec:
Command Post IRcc, cruiser control technology, micro-adjust height adjustable, alien head design, bottom mount cable routing, remote adjust SRL lever, 30.9mm, M/L/XL: 125mm
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

adbl

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »
I wonder how this same bike would feel with a 29 HV tire, say like a 2.35 or 2.4 compared to a 3.0 27.5+ tire???

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 11:36:03 AM »
Grip would be less, ride quality would be more harsh, bottom bracket clearance would increase by 1/4", other than that it's the same bike as a non-plus bike.

Most of us who have made the switch to a plus bike are looking for better ride characteristics.  I came from a 29er and for me is a better fit for my riding style and the trails I ride regularly.  The 6Fattie has much more capability than I will ever use, so for me it was about different qualities other than lightness or speed.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

adbl

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »
If i'm not mistaken you're in GA correct? I'm in Charlotte NC and i wonder how similar our trails are to yours. I rode one weekend at FATS and really liked it! I found it similar to NC except a little more connected and flows better. NC seems to be more chopped up with switchbacks and such. Ya know, it's hard to get 20 miles worth of trails in a 2 mile square area  ;)

I do like a bike that feels light and fast but there are features i struggle with riding a hardtail. Mostly step up or as some would say square edge hits, especially on a climb. Really tall roots are difficult as well with the rear tire getting hung up. I have been working on techniques to improve this but i'm wondering going back to a FS bike would be better or even a plus bike would be best. Decisions, decisions............

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 09:55:26 AM »
I have not ridden any trails in NC but I would think they are very similar.  A FS bike like the 6Fattie eats up all kinds of trails, however, being a fairly plush FS bike, your bottom bracket clearance will always be less than a hard tail.  So if you are trying to get over stuff and want to maximize your BB clearance, a hard tail can be the better choice.

I also think a 29+ hardtail may also be something for you to consider.  Imagine a hardtail that has a softer ride, twice the grip, loads of BB clearance, climbs well, and descends with amazing control.  That's what I like about my Stache.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

adbl

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 10:11:49 AM »
A 29+ hardtail is definitely something i am considering. I currently have a CS-057 and love the bike other than a few downfalls which would be the same as any other hardtail. That's why i was considering putting the widest 29 tire i could fit and see if that would make it a more trail friendly bike. On the other hand if i purchased a 29+ frame like the one Peter is selling i could transfer most of the components over from one bike to another. If i didn't care for the 29+ frame it's not a whole lot of new money invested there. Or option #3 build a new FS 29er or 29+ from scratch and still have the 057 untouched. Ugh, too many options and changes in the industry currently  :-\

Patrick C.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 03:06:47 PM »
Do it- a TrailKing 2.4" is one of the biggest you can fit on the rear, but depending on the fork and your rim width you may be able to get a larger one on the front.  Measure your clearance and look for bead to bead measurements on the tires to have a better idea of what will fit.  The spreadsheet from craigsj in this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/bead-bead-mtb-tire-measurement-959767.html has some info; I thought there was an updated version but can't find it now.

I tried converting my -057 to 27.5+, but with 35 mm internal rims the 2.8" tires were too big in the rear.  I currently have a 27.5 Nobby Nic 2.8"in the front but had to drop back to a 27.5 TrailKing 2.4 on the rear.  At 18 psi (I'm 200 lbs) the rear rides great, but I have felt it bottom out.  When my current 29er tires wear out I'll get 2.4's to put on those rims- when mounted they will be a few mm narrower than the 2.8 NN, but still wider than the X-King and weight weenie Schwalbe tires I've had on before.

Patrick C.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 03:15:37 PM »
Trails in the Atlanta area are similar to the trails at the Whitewater Center in Charlotte- lots of short steep climbs, some tight and twisty routes, some trails have lots of rocks and roots while some are quite smooth.  Several also have the 'chopped up' feel from trying to cram in as much trail as possible.  The benefit is that you don't have to walk as far back to the parking lot if something goes wrong :).  FATS seems a bit like the North GA or Western NC trails with less vertical- you actually feel like you are going somewhere.

adbl

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »
Trails in the Atlanta area are similar to the trails at the Whitewater Center in Charlotte- lots of short steep climbs, some tight and twisty routes, some trails have lots of rocks and roots while some are quite smooth.  Several also have the 'chopped up' feel from trying to cram in as much trail as possible.  The benefit is that you don't have to walk as far back to the parking lot if something goes wrong :).  FATS seems a bit like the North GA or Western NC trails with less vertical- you actually feel like you are going somewhere.

Patrick C. seems like you know the trails here well! Good information thanks  :). I will probably put wheels and tires on my 057 and leave it alone. If i decide to do something different it will be a new build. Currently my wheels are Easton EA90 XC with a 19mm inside width. I'll most likely go to carbon wheels at a 30mm or 35mm internal width and 2.35-2.40 tire and see what that does to make the bike more "trailable".