Author Topic: Flight of the Replacement Build...a Pack66 debacle.  (Read 4726 times)

Carbon_Dude

Re: Flight of the Replacement Build...a Pack66 debacle.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 10:26:33 AM »
I still can't say enough about my 3.0" wide tires, they provide a ride that I didn't think was possible on my local trails.  I alternate back and forth between the Trek Stache 29+ and the Spec Stumpy 6Fattie, honestly I think I still have more fun on the Trek.  The grip of the 29+ tires is just phenomenal.  The Stumpjumper is my comfortable bike, my Stache is my fun bike.

The 2017 Fuel EX looks to be a great bike, combining a lot of what I like about the Stache along with many of the things I like about the Stumpjumper.  I think Trek did a great job with the Chupacabra tires, they have good grip, provide a good ride, have low rolling resistance, are fairly light, and hold air well.  The only thing I don't understand is why Trek chose to go 2.8" wide on the 27.5" tires, IMO 3.0" would be the better choice.  If you've not already converted them to tubeless, don't hesitate, pull the tubes and reap the benefits.

The Fuel EX 8 Plus should be a great do everything bike for you.  I've not ridden one, but if it's anything like my SJ, you're going to be really happy with your purchase.  Like my SJ, I don't see much on that bike that I would want to upgrade.  The GX drivetrain is good, so far not giving me any troubles on my Stumpjumper or my Stache (before I changed the Stache out to XX1 parts).  My only other suggestion for you, Pack66, is to try out the Bontrager Inform Satellite City Grip, by far my favorite grips at this point in time.  At first I wasn't sure I would like those grips, but after 500 miles, they have really grown on me. 

Enjoy your new ride!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 10:30:11 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Pack66

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 11:50:05 PM »
I'll check out those grips, thanks for the suggestion. Love mid-fat tires and this bike just ticks all the boxes I wanted in a bike. It's a demo from the LBS, so they have it set very well for the conditions here. Tubeless already as you really can't get away too well with tubes with all the cacti.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the Chupacabra up front, but that may be a psi issue, as I didn't check it before my first two rides. It's definitely fast rolling for sure. When they wear out, I'll definitely be going 3.0 for sure.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 06:57:32 AM »
Nice picture!  I like seeing the mountains in the distance.  Don't like seeing the cacti, falling into one of those would make for a very bad day.  Another nice thing about the Chupacabra tires is they wear very well, after 500 miles they still have a similar amount of tread as new.  Another guy I was talking to had 700 miles on his bike and the tires still looked good.  I've had Schwalbe tires that wore out in 300 miles.  I would think you should be running 15psi or less in your tires.  On my Spec SJ, I run 14psi front, 15psi rear but I'm about 195 lbs geared up.  Also, you may want to get yourself a digital tire gauge, most pumps will not give you an accurate reading below 20psi.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Pack66

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 12:39:11 AM »
Have a few tire gauges, but nothing that fits presta. I do have a presta convertor for my air compressor, but I'm not sure if that would work/be accurate. I'll have to check, although I'm probably better off buying a bike specific gauge. I was talking to the LBS guy when I grabbed the bike, he cautioned against running too low a psi, saying that he's more than a few bikes come back with pretty good damage to rims. He suggested 20psi to start. Was off wandering today with the family, so I'll have to check to see what psi they're at now that I've remembered.