Author Topic: cs-057 vs wellworks m-062  (Read 2961 times)

thewalrus

cs-057 vs wellworks m-062
« on: August 29, 2016, 09:39:15 PM »
bike is being built for my 5ft 85 lb. son for the upcoming high school race season. both frames looked pretty similar. so I've gotten pricing back from both carbon speed and well works for the frame, seatpost, bar and wheelset and the workswell bid was a few hundred less. I mentioned this to peter and he laughed it off and said that he doesn't "offer cheap price frames". I asked him to explain the differences and got crickets. So, what's the word out there from folks that have actually seen these bikes. Is carbon speed's offerings better than workswell? any thoughts would be appreciated. I'd like to pull the trigger on this tonight if possible.

JohnSpeed

Re: cs-057 vs wellworks m-062
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 09:59:40 PM »
For a "few hundred less" I'd definitely go with the 062. Personally, I'm not going to believe claims of superior quality without some type of documentation/proof. And im willing to get they're made of simlilar qulaity carbon, but that is an assumption, i could be wrong. Either way, plenty of 150-200 pound men satisfied with the 062.. your 85lb son won't even stress the frame a little.

gohloum

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 10:15:34 PM »
I'm actually new to the forum but I may can help.  I was in the industry 25+ years ago.  2 decades later, all this new tech is available and 26" hard tails are all but phased out which is what I currently own.  My issue originally was do I go 27.5 or 29?  What I have wanted to retain is the agility and responsiveness of the smaller bike wheel size.  After loads and loads of research, and a few nice guys in my area letting me take a spin on their bikes in various flavors, I have decided to go for 29er's benefit of rolling resistance, traction, and angle of attack, but find something that is going to be as responsive as I can possibly get considering the trail and wheelbase of a 29er.  I started this thread( http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,1024.0.html  ) and a couple of the guys who weighed in recommended the 062 over the 057.  If your kid is coming from BMX or any kind of cycling where he is really throwing his hips around (bike follows you), then he's probably going to prefer the 062 performance. 

Now this is based on what advice I have been given, but I think if you ask a couple of these guys in the forums directly it may help you.  And since the 062 is less, it just may be your best bet anyway.

TJ

thewalrus

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 10:20:40 PM »
yes, i've been watching your thread as well. i'm leaning towards the workswell package. just want someone to reassure me.

RS VR6

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 09:10:47 PM »
bike is being built for my 5ft 85 lb. son for the upcoming high school race season. both frames looked pretty similar. so I've gotten pricing back from both carbon speed and well works for the frame, seatpost, bar and wheelset and the workswell bid was a few hundred less. I mentioned this to peter and he laughed it off and said that he doesn't "offer cheap price frames". I asked him to explain the differences and got crickets. So, what's the word out there from folks that have actually seen these bikes. Is carbon speed's offerings better than workswell? any thoughts would be appreciated. I'd like to pull the trigger on this tonight if possible.

I have a 062 and there are also many other members with the frame. I've been riding mine since May 2015 and no problems. So far...I have yet to read of any real issues with the 062. Peter says he offers better frames...but how are they better? I don't think I've seen any proof that. Are they cosmetically better...structurally better?

I emailed him for a quote before and his price was a couple hundred more than the rest.

I've read that his service is better than the rest if you need a question answered.

I honestly don't think the 062 gives anything up to the 057. It'll come down to which geometry you prefer.

thewalrus

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 11:09:24 PM »
thanks for the responses. Im pulling the trigger on the 062 and a set of 25-35 wheels. I'll report back how it goes.

d36

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 05:37:17 AM »
interesting!

I have recently sent off emails to most shops asking for quotes (its pretty annoying having to do this... wish they could just have prices listed)
Gotta admit I was a bit surprised about the price of the 57 since it seems like a fairly old frame after reading that it cost more on the other thread.

I will probably go for a 062 too

Pack66

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
@d36: I've done the email rounds as well and have to agree.