Author Topic: CS-496 Build / 27.5+  (Read 44337 times)

Carbon_Dude

Re: CS-496 Build / 27.5+
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 07:44:43 PM »
Looks very interesting.  I like your build.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

SportingGoods

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2016, 03:24:29 AM »
me too  ;D

Everything's done now (brake bleed, dropper post hose stuck to the frame, cockpit all setup)! Just waiting on my 10% anniversary discount, next week, to order my Eagle cranks.

Also, I was about to built a DIY pressfit tool when I found one for 25€. For this price, I see no reason to built it myself.
http://www.probikeshop.fr/super-b-outil-d-installation-pour-roulements/79162.html

carbonazza

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 03:43:17 AM »
...my 10% anniversary discount...
Is it probikeshop that does that?

SportingGoods

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 04:31:14 AM »
No, it's part of Alltricks' Premium account

As I get a week before I can complete my bike, I thought I should post a picture. Here is a family picture  ;)

You can (almost) see the Shelter tape. It's very conformal, so it is difficult to see.
I just wanted to add that I really like the angle in the seat tube. It enables to significantly move the saddle to the front when pushing on the dropper post. This should enable a better handling in technical sections. I'll confirm as soon as I can ride the bike!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 07:46:11 AM by SportingGoods »

iammemares

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »
Hi SC.  Thanks for the excellent detail and write up.  A few things that I would like more detail on after you spoke with Peter. I was at IB but ran out of time.  Needs to be more than 3 days.

I believe there should be a metal insert on the disc side of the frame to protect the carbon??  The relief in the frame suggests this as well.  I believe also some of the pics online show a reversible metal piece on the disc side as well?

1. How about the rear axle issue? 
2. How about the headset height and lack of level issue? 
3. The brake line feed issue? 

What is the current A2C with the 110 fork that yields the 68.5 HA.

Thank you sir.
Iammemares

Has Peter acknowledged these issues and have they been corrected.

SportingGoods

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2016, 02:28:30 AM »
Hi iammemares, those are good questions, let me try to answer.

Quote from: iammemares
I believe there should be a metal insert on the disc side of the frame to protect the carbon??  The relief in the frame suggests this as well.  I believe also some of the pics online show a reversible metal piece on the disc side as well?
I'm 100% positive that there is nothing missing. Peter has provided me with detailed picture of each side of the rear end of the frame. This is the way it it supposed to be. And I'd be curious to see the pictures you mentioned with a reversible piece of metal. I've searched all the pictures I could find but never found anything like you mention.
1. How about the rear axle issue? 
I'm still waiting on Peter to tell me how he wants to fix this. Again, I'm not happy with 5mm of washers. And this axle did not come for free.
This is a good and difficult question. Let me explain. This kind of problems happen. But they should never pass quality control. The frame should have been downgraded as B stock. Maybe it was and I was not told about it. I did not complain to Peter about it, neither mention it, because I got the frame for free. Had I paid the frame, I would have asked for compensation. There is nothing you can do but fix it the way I did or return it.
I'm not convinced in my ability to measure this accurately. This is a stock Reba 29", solo air, 100 mm, 2012-2013 model. Bumped to 110 mm. Found this on internet: 100mm=>473mm A2C. 120mm=>493mm A2C. So the best answer should be 483 mm A2C.

Has Peter acknowledged these issues and have they been corrected.
Again, I've only mentioned the axle problem and it is not solved for now.

cmh

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2016, 02:58:19 AM »
I'm not convinced in my ability to measure this accurately. This is a stock Reba 29", solo air, 100 mm, 2012-2013 model. Bumped to 110 mm. Found this on internet: 100mm=>473mm A2C. 120mm=>493mm A2C. So the best answer should be 483 mm A2C.

Double check your source, 473mm for a 100mm fork sounds like a 26er fork. Everything I saw on the REBA 29er fork puts it around 506mm. MTBR reference

SportingGoods

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2016, 04:32:14 AM »
Good you are here cmh! That's exactly what I did, use data for 26" fork.

So my fork should be about 516 mm A2C.

SportingGoods

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2016, 04:34:54 AM »
COMPLETED!

Well, there is always something to do. Peter just got back to me that it's still national holiday in China, he'll get back to me later about the axle. I'll change the fork for a Pike at Christmas and convert the front wheel to Boost hub at that time.

Super nice bike

Super nice (and expensive) drivetrain

Some more

10.4 kg with pedals. It will be about 200g heavier with the Pike. That's lighter then my previous bike.

carbonazza

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2016, 05:34:36 AM »
How the Eagle rides in the Alps?

My brother is quite happy with it on his 036.
He just moved from the 32 ring he got with the kit, to a 36 as it was definitely too short.

That elevated seatpost screams for a Rohloff + Carbon Belt :)
Well a bit heavier. It was my first idea of building an MTB, before landing on this forum and on MTBR.

SportingGoods

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2016, 07:39:56 AM »
I'll let you know as soon as I will have tested it! But I already know that 32 chainring is perfect to me.

My previous bike was a 2x9 drivetrain:
36/11=3.27 ratio
22/34=0.65 ratio
Eagle is:
32/10=3.2
32/50=0.64

That being said, I learned from my road bike that if you run out of gear, you just push harder. So I could probably accommodate a 34 chainring, but absolutely not a 36.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2016, 08:19:13 AM »
Looks nice!  I wonder how it would look/ride with 29+ wheels & tires.  As you know, I like the combination of 29+ on a hardtail and 27+ on a FS bike.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:24:52 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

MVinter

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2016, 11:19:40 AM »
Looks very good! I could post pic of my build of the same frame next week.
Spec list:
- Rigid full Carbon fork
- 40mm Carbon rims, DT350 hubs
- nobby nic 3.0
- xx1 11spd drivetrain
- sram s-1400 (i think?) cranks w/direct mount oval boost - one-up
- shimano saint brakes with 203mm rotors (i'm adicted to good brakes!)
- reverb dropper, full Carbon saddle
- thomson stem, Carbon bars
- ESI chunky grips

SportingGoods

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2016, 05:23:42 AM »
Hi MVinter,

I'm very excited to see your built! Please share some pictures. I'm particularly interested to know if you faced the same issues I did:
1. rear axle issue? Did you get it from Peter?

I did a first quick ride yesterday to setup everything. Eagle 12x is a lot more delicate to set then my previous 2x9. It has to be dialed in very precisely. Apart from that Eagle is just awesome. Crisp shifting, always in the right gear. And I confirm that I keep my 32 ring.
Frame size is good. I've picked an unusual 17" frame for my 5'11" size, based on top tube length. It was the right choice for a trail oriented bike.

Another test this afternoon, longer one!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 05:36:05 AM by SportingGoods »

MVinter

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »
Hi MVinter,

I'm very excited to see your built! Please share some pictures. I'm particularly interested to know if you faced the same issues I did:
1. rear axle issue? Did you get it from Peter?

I did a first quick ride yesterday to setup everything. Eagle 12x is a lot more delicate to set then my previous 2x9. It has to be dialed in very precisely. Apart from that Eagle is just awesome. Crisp shifting, always in the right gear. And I confirm that I keep my 32 ring.
Frame size is good. I've picked an unusual 17" frame for my 5'11" size, based on top tube length. It was the right choice for a trail oriented bike.

Another test this afternoon, longer one!

Pics will follow monday/tuesday... and in advanced sorry for my Norwegian-English!

1. Some minor problems with the threads and clearances on rear axle. Had to drill bigger hole inside driveside chainstay. Also had to make new threads for bolt holding dropout. Still some misalignment between axle-hole inside dropout and threaded bracket on the outside. You could feel some force is needed to get the rear axle into place. I could try to do something with this but I´m afraid I will make to much free-hole. As it sits now everything is tight and working very well!

2. Absolutely no headset problems. Also fitted Neco headset from Peter, and it just pressed straight into the frame. Spacing is no problem. I´m now running a 50mm thomson stem and a 20mm spacer between headset and stem. Think I will try to swap for a riser bar, but I really love the looks of a flatt bar!

3. The brake line was a pain in the ass! The main problem was between BB and outlet on non-drive side CS. There was some kind of plastic material left inside the CS, but after 2-3 hours of swearing and several different methods I got it thru. Looks clean now! Cable for RD and dropper was a 5min job, no problems!

I have the 21" size and it fits like a dream for my 6´2" or 188cm... Don´t know if the conversion is correct! I have been testing the bike now for some serious freeriding and it is more or less as expected. I think i need to replace the full carbon saddle for freeriding and I should have a dropper with more than 125mm drop. But for normal XC and some flat technical sections the bike is perfect setup. I could be running a lighter crankset but it´s not worth the $$$...

As for drivetrain group. I had an opinion to use the big $ on frame, fork, wheels and maybe brakes, then use what´s left for drivetrain. I still belive this is correct way of setting up a bike, but I have to say I love the crispness from XX1 drivetrain. I have earlier only experience from shimano, but from now on it´s sram for me.

I´m now in the marked for 29er boost wheelset at around 30mm to use for spiked tires and light fast rolling XC tires. Have already bought Ice spiker pro and Thunder burt for this, but really need wheelset!