Author Topic: 062 or CKMB01? And good source for good pricing on components.  (Read 2327 times)

gohloum

062 or CKMB01? And good source for good pricing on components.
« on: September 04, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »
Hey guys,

I just sold my car and should have cash in hand on Tuesday.  Therefore I want to get busy on this 29er build. 

So far, I was thinking the 062 until I followed a link from this forum to carbonal and saw this frame:  http://www.carbonalbike.com/carbon-mtb-hardtail-29er-cross-country-frame-with-vibration-reduce-system-1080g-ckmb01-sl.html

I'm sort of liking the idea of the kevlar relief in the seat stays.  Does anyone have any information on this frame and carbonal bike as a vender?  I assume most of you buy wheels from the same vendor at the same time.  I'd like to do XC/AM hoops.  Probably go Novatec for these.  Next season I'll buy a set of XC specific with DT Swiss.  Depending on $$ I might try and pickup some cheaper aluminum wheels from Aliexpress.  One of the places I like to ride in NorthPort is root garden central. 

Groupset:, I don't know if I can afford it this time around, but possibly looking at the SRAM Eagle XX1.  It might be too rich for my blood, but I don't know the price... or if it includes brakes.   If not, I would like to go the SRAM route 1x11, but need brake advice... Otherwise I would fall back on Deore XT full groupset.

Forks... I REALLY want the Fox 32 Stepcast Factory.  I see it several places for about $900, and a bit more for remote.  Might end up out of my price range, but next selection would be the standard 32 Factory.  Lastly would probably be something like a Reba RL.   Maybe one of you guys can chime in on the fork thing....

Dropper seat post.  I have seen a few different models, but what do you guys recommend?

Bars, I'll probably do the BEIOU's from Amazon again. Been happy with them thus far, and at $40, that's hard to beat.  However, if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Stem - no idea where to begin.  My default would be an Origin8 aluminum from Amazon.  Cheap reliable and I know I can get it within a week.

Saddle - Hmmm. I have a Selle SMP Extra now. It's heavy but for training and fun riding it's fine.  A carbon one just for racing would be interesting. Suggestions if you have them....

Pedals - I'll likely source these from wherever I get the groupset from. I'll stick with SPDs.

Tires - Suggestions for fast rolling with good tread for Florida. I've been out of the game for awhile, so my knowledge stops around the introduction of the Panaracer Fire XC.

Thanks and I'd like to get ordering started this week.   8)

TJ

carbonazza

Re: 062 or CKMB01? And good source for good pricing on components.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 03:58:42 AM »
Choosing parts is quite personal, but here are few answers to your questions:

I know the 062(after trying a 256 and 041), and it is a great frame, very agile. Nobody had any issue with it.
Not sure about the MB01 kevlar inserts if they change that much, but if I remember well you will find one build here somewhere.

For the groupset, a 1x11 is a compromise, either you will suffer a little on hard climbs(bigger chainring) or your friends will drop you on the flats(smaller ring).
The Eagle has apparently the same range as a 2x10.
There are Eagle kits you can buy with the full set( ring, crank, derailleur, shifter, chain, cassette ) at bike24.com or r2-bike.com for instance.
An upgrade set is just the shifter, derailleur, cassette and chain. And you can buy a cheaper crankset.

I just canceled my upgrade kit order( after two months of wait, they seem to have gripshift sourcing problems in all web shops ).
First there is no cheaper alternate parts like for 1x11(shimano, hope, e-thirtheen, etc.)
I break a derailleur a year it seems, and the Eagle is so big, I'm afraid it wouldn't last long and it is so expensive.
And I'm now used to climb with my big ring :)

For the brakes it depends on your budget.
I'm a big fan of Hope's brakes but they are not cheap.

We've put the last XT ones on the bikes of my son and of my brother and I'm impressed how good they are for the price.
XTR were 90€ more expensive for just 90g lighter.

The full set XT M8000 is a great option to consider too, it looks strong to last, very well built, a littler heaver, but at a very good price.

For the saddle, if you like the SMP style(I do), there are fine ones on aliexpress.com either bare bone carbon or with a little gel pad, all in the 100-120g range.
For about $40-$50
I use them for 2 years now.

For the tires, I'm a fan of Schwalbe.
Rocket Ron for the wet season.
Thunder Burt for the dry.
Always snake skin and generally the fast 2.1" size.

Have a good build!

gohloum

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 09:07:14 AM »
Hmm. Upgrade kit and a different crank...  Not a bad idea.

So I did a little searching on Aliexpress and found the following.  Is this something like what you mentioned?  Also, I didn't see any with the bent down beak (SMP design).  Just wondering if you've seen one like that as well.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/new-arrivals-TOSSEEK-brand-ultra-light-full-carbon-fiber-mountain-road-bicycle-saddle-wrapping-leather-with/32561723053.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.334.06xEw1&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_8,searchweb201602_2_10057_10056_10065_10055_10067_10054_10069_301_10059_10033_10058_10032_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_1&btsid=ff1d0ef3-6c45-44ef-8ac7-67a1c6705271

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:52:24 AM »
Selle SMP have probably a team that scouts Aliexpress and the web for copies, and shot them down quickly.
So they are not easy to find, but if you look a bit more, you'll find some.

Bare carbon ones can go for $25, while the padded ones go for about $50.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:54:50 AM »
With all the sand on the Florida trails, you might want to look at a frame that can take 2.8-3.0" tires and 40mm wide wheels.  Personally, I really like the SRAM 1x groups.  For Florida, the 10x42 range that 1x11 offers should work fine for you.  Eagle is nice but a bit pricey at the moment.  Pricing I've seen is about $1,400 for a XX1 Eagle groupset and about $1,100 for an XO1 Eagle groupset.

If you like the CKMB01 frame, I'd order it from Peter at XMcarbonspeed.com along with carbon bars, seat post, and carbon wheels.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

gohloum

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 05:33:24 PM »
For Florida, the 10x42 range that 1x11 offers should work fine for you.

Yeah, I have been kinda thinking the same thing.   As for the plus size, I am more focused on a faster ride.  My thought is to to the FSC race series next year (2017).

If you like the CKMB01 frame, I'd order it from Peter at XMcarbonspeed.com along with carbon bars, seat post, and carbon wheels.

How is he on pricing?  I am trying to make sense of him from all the posts I have read.  Seems service is great, but as we give him more business and create demand, it sounds like his pricing might be on the high side.  Your thoughts?  That frame is prices at $450 on Carbonal's site and I saw it for the same on Aliexpress.