Author Topic: Scott Scale frame vs Chinese frame  (Read 5691 times)

Scott Scale frame vs Chinese frame
« on: September 05, 2016, 02:44:35 PM »
Im a owner of a 2013 710 Scott Scale (650B).

As I race XC Marathon i have to switch to a 29er.
First I consider to buy a new scale, but it is a little fortune for a 2017 Scott RC World Cup, even if a sell my current bike.
Used one is no an option.
I know i can buy a 2015 or 2016 scale frame for a 1.2-1.5K
I love scott scale line, I've been using it for the last four years and guess is the fastest frame in the world.

So a chinese frame came to my mind and the question is:
Is out there a chinese MTB 29er frame so rocket fast as a Scott Scale frame ?

Thank you for you advise !

gohloum

Re: Scott Scale frame vs Chinese frame
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 01:12:17 AM »
Interestingly, I just read in one of these threads talk about comparison of 1 frame to a Stumpjumper and the other to the Scott.  I thought it was near the end of the sticky thread for bike pics.

Regardless, I think xmcarbonspeed has one. it's either them or WorksWellBikes.  Good thing is both companies have geometry posted, so if you know what you are looking for, you should be able to find it.

Hopefully, on of the more knowledgable guys will chime in and answer it.  If I come across the thread again, I will post it here.

JohnnyNT

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 04:24:11 AM »
I just remember that IP256SL is almost like the Scale (very minor differences) but the older one (2014 or 2015)

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »
I know some geometry chinese frames are same as a renowned makers, that's no the question.

I wonder if someone test one of those frames and felt differences to others well know brands.

Don't misunderstand me, I actually own a pair of road chinese wheels and a rigid fork, so Im not against chinese manufacturers.

RS VR6

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 01:18:26 PM »
Check the 057 also. I think that may be based on a Scale also.

cmh

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »
My wife has a Scale 910 and we got her an 041 as a backup. Although the geometry is a direct copy of the Scale, don't expect it to feel the same. She found the Chiner version to ride harsher, but not accelerate as well. I attribute that to carbon layup, Scott frames are designed with specific carbon orientation to optimize frame stiffness/flexibility, whereas Chiner frames throw carbon in a mold until you've got a frame. That's part of what you get with all that extra cost. (or what you give up to get those savings) None of the Chinese frames are "the same as" a Scott Scale, I can promise you that.

That said, the 057, 256, and 041 are direct copies of the Scale geometry, with only small discrepancies here and there. Out of those, the 057 is probably your best bet, as you'll find a bunch of instances of the 256 having cracking at the rear seat unistay, and my wife's 041 cracked in short order because of a defect in early frames. I know several folks (one of whom is on this board) that have the 057 and have beaten them with zero problems, so if you want a bike with a copy of the Scale geometry, the 057 is your best bet - and is also the least expensive of all those.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 01:34:25 PM »
Thanks to all for the advices !

Maybe Ill go for a 29er Scale 2015-14 frame when 2017 line hits the streets and then prices for the olds drops.

If anyone knows some decent supplier I will be grateful.

cmh

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 02:05:51 PM »
Thanks to all for the advices !

Maybe Ill go for a 29er Scale 2015-14 frame when 2017 line hits the streets and then prices for the olds drops.

If anyone knows some decent supplier I will be grateful.

Peter at xmcarbonspeed is one of the favorites here on the forum if you're talking about suppliers for Chiner frames.

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 02:33:41 PM »
Peter at xmcarbonspeed is one of the favorites here on the forum if you're talking about suppliers for Chiner frames.

I contact him to quote a mtb wheelset but I refer about to buy a Scott Scale frame, I know it is some OFF-TOPIC.

cmh

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »

I contact him to quote a mtb wheelset but I refer about to buy a Scott Scale frame, I know it is some OFF-TOPIC.

Oh, yeah, no idea there beyond finding a local shop.

Patrick C.

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 08:47:22 AM »
Check Ali Express.  I bet they have one.  May be counterfeit, but...  :)

andyfloyd

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 11:51:30 PM »
Besides the 057, you could also look at the 106. i have a ip/fm 106 and its geo is the same as the 057 but with thinner seatstays for compliance. i have 3000 miles on mine and its seen gnar and wrecks...still perfect. i run a 120mm fork on it 68.5 head angle feels nice.