Author Topic: My first MTB Build know nothing need advice  (Read 4056 times)

Timbuctoo

My first MTB Build know nothing need advice
« on: September 06, 2016, 01:58:19 AM »
Hi all,
I'm new to MTBs, I've been a road cyclist for many years now and have bought/built up numerous China Road bikes, so I'm familiar with some of the vendors, etc. What I don't know much about is the MTB world, which is way more confusing that the road world. MTBs add all sorts of variants that make my head spin. My goal is to get my 9yo ultra competitive boy outdoors doing something other than playing the xbox. He currenly has a MTB but is rapidly outgrowing it. To do this I'll need a MTB, so I decided on a hardtail 29er XC type build given that it'll probably be better for marathons, easier trails, climbing and more rigid on the bike paths. I've attached a jpg with the parts and prices of my proposed build and was hoping someone on here can let me know if I'm missing anything. Hope to hear back from you. Cheers!!

Carbon_Dude

Re: My first MTB Build know nothing need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 06:26:29 AM »
My only suggestion is maybe go with a 180mm rotor up front, you'll need the 10mm shimano caliper spacer for the larger rotor though.  Other than that it looks like a pretty solid build.

Go with a BSA bottom bracket on the frame, makes things easy to maintain.  You'll need the SHIMANO XT BB-MT800 BOTTOM BRACKET to thread into the frame as part of your groupset.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:31:26 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Timbuctoo

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 06:37:54 AM »
That's good advice, thanks a heap. Hopefully once I have the bike together I'll have the balls to ride it hard. On another note Ill also be looking for the smallest possible frame to build up for my son. He's 9 years old but tall and skinny. Just wonder if anyone knows the smallest China MTB frame out there.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 06:57:07 AM »
There have been one or two others on Chinertown who have built up a bike for their kids.  Just do a search.  Possibly MTB2223 had posted some info.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Timbuctoo

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 07:28:54 AM »
Thanks will look.

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 08:40:59 AM »
I've build a bike for my kid, the CS-136 from Peter.
With all carbon parts from Peter, a full XT set and Stan Crest wheels, you get a crazy bike for a kid at about 1200€ and it weight a bit less than 8kg.

Unfortunately it is a 26" with QR axles.
But it was the only frame available in the 14" size.

He is about 1,40m tall and loves it.

Timbuctoo

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 05:43:10 PM »
Ok mate, sounds good on that small build. Just managed to measure my 9yo and he's 144cm so should work out fine for him. Just need to try and tire him out, to much energy to burn and XC riding might just be the ticket. I think it'd be the best thing for learning bike handling skills as well. My sly plan is that my wife is also short, 151cm, so when she sees her son enjoying it she will want to try as well. Next thing she'll want an MTB so she can participate, later this will make it easier for me to get what I want  ;) . If she has it, then she can't say no to me.

Timbuctoo

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 05:45:42 PM »
Ohh yeah, looking at that MB01 frame from Peter for myself. I don't see many that have built this and I wonder whether that chain stay thing does anything, but guess we'll see.

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »
My sly plan is that my wife...
I had this plan too and it goes in a good direction :)

doubledutch

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 02:24:03 PM »
Hi, many of us order all black parts from china, but you can get your own great design. Just make a sketch and send it to Peter or one of the other manufacturers. they will help you with the design. It looks so much better with some crazy colors and the extra costs is something like $80,-. definitely your kid will appreciate.
Here is a pict from the 29er I build this summer.

Timbuctoo

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 02:42:25 PM »
That looks awesome, might do something similar. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the MTB terminology such as axil types and brake vs shifter compatibility.

Timbuctoo

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 03:48:21 PM »
Has anyone here had any experience with Microshift MTB Components? I'm looking at their XCD11 shifters and derailleur. They also make cassettes now. Seems pretty cheap and might make a cost effective kids build. Problem is here in Australia it's hard to get hold of those components. I hear they're even working on an electronic group for MTB.

Timbuctoo

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 04:26:44 PM »
Attached is the guide to the Microshift parts that look a bit interesting.

Timbuctoo

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 05:40:59 AM »
After some advice on my boys current Giant bike. I'm wondering if its possible to Add some front suspension to this frame and a Shimano Group such as Deore? The frame fits him very well and if I can upgrade this frame it would give me another 12 or 24 months before I need a new bike for him.

gohloum

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 05:26:15 PM »
First off, great choice on your frame. I bought the exact same one, but it won't ship until Peter is back from Interbike on the 27th.

Secondly,  Components.  Nothing wrong with Deore XT, but you might want to check into SRAM. It will cost a little more, but after I had a chance to ride a few SRAM bikes, I was sold on the shifting and craftsmanship.  If you go to the components thread, you will see one I posted asking comparison between Deore XT and SRAM.  Everyone who answered gave great feedback and I have managed to pick out my groupset.

Your fork.  If it's in your budget and you plan to ride hard at all, get the best fork you can get your hands on.  It's hard to justify a $900 upgrade when you already spent close to $500. If you can, just shell it out now. You will be happier in the end if you ride much at all. Fork performance makes so much difference in the ride you don't want to sacrifice here if possible. Keeping your front wheel in contact with the ground is ever so important on a hardtail. As for brands, I'm only familiar with Fox and Rock Shox.  IMO, the Fox Factory 32 series is going to be a little more responsive and supple, but Rock Shox is a little lower maintenance. However, Fox redesigned their air spring system for the 2016 and 2017 models which is supposed to also help reduce maintenance from the previous versions. Either way, go high end here if you can spare the coin.  I did. I ordered the Factory 32 Step Cast for mine this past Wednesday.

Now for the Giant bike.  Looks like a 24" wheel, correct?   If so Suntour has some forks that will fit it. I don't recall the models, but the bottom one is crap.  You will want to go min 1 level up.  I was looking for a bike for my son over the summer at my LBS.  There were 2 used Treks in there. One was a 2014 and another 2015.  The 2015 had the nicer fork. Even nicer than the new 2016.  It wasn't buttery supple, but it was pretty smooth and adjustable.  I think new they are around $200 give or take. 

For his components, def go shimano.  Just make sure that you stay in the same gear setup or you might have freehub body issues.  If you know how to adjust and axle for hub alignment and dish a wheel, then no biggie. It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the BB is possibly a BSA 68/73. This would be a threaded BB. Grab a metric ruler and measure the length of the BB tube from left to right under the bike. If you are exactly 68 or 73mm (not including the cup flanges), chances are that's what you have.  It's one of the most common standards and easy to find parts for. You can probably find a standard Deore (M615 I think) groupset pretty cheap.  However, I think they are 10 speed.  A lot of the Jr bikes are 7 or 8 speed rear.  If his is an 8 or more, you may be able to go with a 10 as the cogs are closer together and 8-10 fit on the same free hub body. 

Have fun with your new ride.  Post pics too.  It will be nice to have a few more riders on the MB01 in here as well.  :-)