Author Topic: 29er Frame sizing question  (Read 2553 times)

gohloum

29er Frame sizing question
« on: September 10, 2016, 04:44:44 PM »
So my current bike is a 26er 19" frame. Fits OK, but I'm 5'10" and I feel like I'm on the cusp between a 17" and 19".  Going up to the larger size wheel, I am thinking some of the advantages for me on a 17" would be a slightly better standover height, and a slightly shorter reach, which would be good since I have back problems.  Also, a 400mm seat post should get my saddle more than high enough.  Right now my current one is just over 1/3 out of the seat tube.

Anyone see any flaws in this logic?

Carbon_Dude

Re: 29er Frame sizing question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 06:05:18 PM »
Sounds like you have it all figured out.  I think if you want the perfect fit, you need to look at frame geometry and ride a few bikes to learn what numbers you like for Reach, Stack, ETT, etc.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

gohloum

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 01:11:44 PM »
So I went checked out a few bikes.   a 19" Specialized RockHopper comp 29er is too big.  I'll smash my jiblets for sure on the top tube.   On a Trek Procaliber, the 18.5 fit and I had good clearance, maybe a little stretched out, but hard to tell because I was higher off the ground... Definitely a 'Bigger' sensation.  The 19.5" was too big. I'd be afraid to hit anything very technical with it. 

A Trek Marlin is what I could find in a 17.5".  I could ride this one as well, but it had a short stem and riser bars which made it feel a little more compact.  Also the Marlin is a trail bike like the Rockhopper vs XC like the Procaliber.

So I am thinking a 17" is going to better, especially comparing stack with some of these bikes.  Trek's were pretty low, and I think that was one of the major problems with the Rockhopper. 

It's just sucks that I can't ride a CS-MB01 from xmCarbonSpeed before I buy.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 03:14:51 PM »
The bikes you are looking at are more entry level and I would not say a Rockhopper is any more or less trail or XC oriented than the Marlin.  It sounds like you have settled on a medium, 17" frame, even though is sounds like you are not 100% sure.  I would remind you that the standover height has much to do with the angle of the top tube, you will notice that frames which have better standover also have a steep top tube angle and usually have a gusset on the seat tube, for example look at the CS-041.

My suggestion is to look at a few more bikes at your LBS, figure out what fits you, and learn more about why you like the way the bike fits you.  For me I look at the ETT, Stack, and Reach mostly for fit.  Then I look at the HTA, chainstay length, and wheelbase to give me an idea of how the bike might ride.

Ordering a Chinese frame that you've never ridden can cause you to be hesitant.  However, you can adjust the bars, stem, seat height, and seat rails which will adjust your Stack and Reach to give you a better fit.  Compare that to the HTA, chainstay, and wheelbase, those are things that are not changing much.

I've gone from Trek and Specialized bikes to custom Chinese builds and back again.  I like the ideal of building my own bike but I also like to demo bikes on local trails, not in a parking lot, to get a better feel for what I like in a bike.  My tastes have really changed over the years, at first l liked a XC bike with a short wheelbase, and 70+ deg HTA.  Now I'm liking more trail oriented bikes with short chainstays and slacker <70 deg HTA.  The trails in my area are fairly rough compared to a lot of what I see people posting on this forum or on MTBR.  So for me, it was more about smoothing out the ride, increasing grip, and getting a bike that felt like it had a lower CG.  My previous bikes, a -057 and -037, were too XC-ish feeling.  Once I demoed the Trek Stache, a light clicked on for me, the Stache was the type of bike I didn't even know I was looking for until I rode it.  You may have noticed that Peter sells the CS-496 which is very similar to the Stache.  If I were to build a hardtail today, that's where I'd be starting. 

I'm no longer concerned much about weight, yes it's nice to have a 19 lb 29er hardtail, but what I think is even better is a 26 lb 29+ hardtail.  I'm a bigger guy, 5'-11", 195 lbs, and for me I like the solid feel of a bike that digs in and grabs hold of the trial.  Not a lightweight bike that bounces around a lot on the trail.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Pack66

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 07:28:21 PM »
I believe Workswell has an 18.5" frame if that interests you.

gohloum

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 12:50:13 AM »
Yeah,  I was looking at the 062, which has 18.5 size.  I kinda got all into the idea of the vibration relief of the other frame... Then I decided to get a price from WW.  Geesh! The frame is more than $120 cheaper!  Also a set of wheels speced with same hubs is $100 cheaper.  Shipping, $30 cheaper.

So if it wasn't the sizing issue, now my wallet just got involved. :o

Decisions, decisions....