Author Topic: CS-MB01 ordered... It has begun!!!!!!!  (Read 7453 times)

gohloum

CS-MB01 ordered... It has begun!!!!!!!
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:16:26 PM »
Well, I pulled the trigger on this frame, wheels, bar, and seat post from Peter @ xmcarbonspeed.com.  Due to the Chinese holiday and the fact that Peter is headed to Interbike in Las Vegas on the 18th,  Some stuff is shipping before, but the wheels have to be built and wont ship until later.  No big deal though... We have had sooooo much rain here all the trails are flooded.

So here is what I have for specs.  Pretty sure I found a SRAM solution I can afford.

Frame CS-MB01 (carbonspeed)
Flat Bar B7 (carbonspeed)
Seat Post SP7 (carbonspeed)
Wheelset (carbonspeed)
Rims: YHR930C rims 32/32H UD matt :  http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com/Productinfo.asp?f=1428
Hubs: Novatec D771/D772 hubs 32/32H for 100x15/142x12
Spokes: Sapim D-Light spokes
Nipples: Sapim self-securing nipples

Fork: Fox Float 32 Factory SC (Step Cast) No remote.
Stem: Origin8 (from amazon)
Pedals: Shimano 737 Vintage (on my current bike).
Saddle: Carbon GUP 1153
Tires: Specialized Ground Control 2.3
Grips: Probably RaceFace Half Nelsons

Crankset: SRAM GX 175mm 34 tooth
Chain: SRAM
Trigger Shifter: SRAM x1 11 speed
Cassette: SRAM GX level
Derailleur: SRAM GX

Normally, I'd be going crazy waiting on everything to come in, but with the excessive rain, it's not that fun to ride now anyway so it's all good.

I'll add pics and send details as components arrive.  ;D

Carbon_Dude

Re: CS-MB01 ordered... It has begun!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »
You'll have to let us know if you think the shock absorption bits seem to do anything, or if they make the frame feel too flexy.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 02:47:25 PM »
You'll have to let us know if you think the shock absorption bits seem to do anything, or if they make the frame feel too flexy.

Definitely interested in how these inserts perform and if they compromise the frame in any way.

gohloum

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 03:25:24 PM »
Absolutely!  I did a search in the forum about this frame.  All you guys talking and speculating, but no one gave any feedback.  Peter sent me that same pic of the rigid bike built up. He even sent me the owner's email, but I didn't get any response. 

I figured I'd do all you guys a good solid and be the the test pilot for this one.  8)

The more feedback each of us can give on our frames, but better we can help others on making a good purchase decision.

I read this article about hard tails and one of the topics was the BMC Teamlite which has a removable insert in the seat stays.  However theirs gives about 15mm of rear wheel travel and the inserts can be changed out for different stiffness settings.

Seeing how this bike only comes built with XTR currently an is WAAAAAAY beyond my budget, I found the idea of modified seat stays interesting.  I'm sure it's not going to work anything like the BMC, but if it takes a little bit of jar out of the ride, I'm all good.

Article: http://marathonmtb.com/2015/08/10/why-the-hardtail-isnt-dead/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:31:47 PM by gohloum »

cmh

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 09:39:10 PM »
I'd have to take a look back at the races to confirm, but pretty sure Julien used that softtail BMC for only one race before he went to - and stuck with - a full suspension bike.

Not that what the pros ride translates directly into what we should ride, of course, but I thought that was interesting.

The Trek softtails I believe are being used more extensively, and their 'cross bikes also have the same technology. Sven Nys finished his career on one of those last year.

gohloum

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 10:11:49 PM »
I'm in Southwest Florida, so I really don't need full suspension for 90% of my riding.

I do see them on the trails, but most of the time its super old dudes with grey hair with super high-end name brand bikes, lycra 2 sizes too small, riding slow, and GoPro cameras stuck all over them and their bikes like leeches.   I don't qualify for that club just yet...  ;D

... Although a GoPro might be kinda fun...

gohloum

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 10:21:09 PM »
So I heard back from the guy who owns the bike in the pic that Peter sent out to a few of us (facing to the right with a rigid fork and those funky laced wheels).

Turns out he is happy with the frame. However he feels it could be a little bit stiffer, but he said he is running the 135mm QR instead of a 142 Through Axle.  Also he is almost 200lbs.  I'm only 160, and I ordered the Through Axle, so it will be interesting to see what I find when it arrives.

From the owner of the bike in the pic:
"The frame is good and the ride is soft-ish, I would like it  little stiffer or less comfortable, can`t really tell if those kevlar inserts are making a big difference. With a QR at the rear instead of the thru axel and my weight is 190 pounds so that doesn't do much good for the frame.
This also makes it a bit wobbly in the corners, still much better then my specialized hard rock fully 26”
Im riding it with crank brothers wheels cobalt 2 and a fixed front fork.
The quality of the frame and all other parts is good so is the finishing.
All-in all I`m happy with the bike."

More to come...

final forum

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 07:09:06 AM »
What did you pay for the step cast fox? Interested in why you choose the best fork possible but went with GX? Not that anything is wrong with GX.

I believe the more travel the bike has the more budget % is taken up by suspension.

Pumped to see this frame built up. Looking forward for the review.

Cheers

gohloum

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 09:38:29 AM »
I wen't with Gx because of $$$ available at this time.  Upgrading drive train components is less of a hit at once than upgrading a fork.  Also, as I upgrade, I can use the Gx stuff as backup repair parts or move them to other bikes and bike builds.

I'm probably going to build a plus bike or fat bike next time, and if I had started with say a Reba RL, I'd be stuck with a $400+ fork that I can't use on another bike. 

gohloum

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 10:45:34 AM »
Just got my tracking numbers from Peter!  He said about a week.  8)

Sram Group set will be here tomorrow.  Fork, early next week.  Other accessories are in transit.  Since I work from home, I will get right on the build so I can get it up and running asap.  Now the rain just needs to stop. Every place to ride around here is completely flooded!  :o

Carbonazza, I took your advice and ordered the smooth smp style saddle you suggested along with the other one that is not bent down, I think the 1158.  I'll likely order the 1153 anyway and give them all a test ride.  I have a few friends that are interested in them so selling what I don't keep or want to should be a snap. 

carbonazza

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »
...along with the other one that is not bent down, I think the 1158.  I'll likely order the 1153 anyway and give them all a test ride

Great! Let us know how do they compare.

boneshaker

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 07:41:17 AM »
Really excited to see how this turns out. I'm still collecting the cash for my build. Thanks for the info and continued story.

gohloum

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 10:49:17 PM »
For those of you following this thread, I went with Hope Tech 3 XC brakes.  Again great advice and info from you guys over in the components area.  I think everything is in transit to me except the fork, but it's coming domestically once the shop receives it, so probably 2-3 days I am thinking.

.... The waiting is the hardest part.... Right Tom Petty?  ;)

gohloum

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 09:35:29 PM »
A quick update: 

The frame and wheels arrived from Peter as expected this past Saturday.  I've had company in town so I didn't do much until today.

When installing the crankset (SRAM GX 1400), I found there to be a little play in it.  I took it to a local bike shop and they added another washer to the non-drive side around the collar of the bb where it screws in (I have BSA for GXP).  I had already used the 2 included black collars.  There still seems to be a little play. Not much, but enough that the tech felt like it would end up chewing up the bearings.  He's gonna call SRAM in the morning and find out what the fix is for this issue. 

I do have my suspicion that the BB casing in the frame is actually a bit less than 68mm.  From what I understand, the BB has the included 2 collars to make up the space difference between 68 and 73 mm BB casings.

I will know more tomorrow and give you an update.  Also, my fork and tires should be delivered as well (Wednesday 10/12/2016), and my Hope Tech brakes came today.  I was concerned about the 5mm braided hose being too big to route through the frame, but I found some old 5MM Shimano brake cable housing in my toolbox and was able to push it through all the openings.  So I should be able to get it through without too much fuss.

More to come...

Alex

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 04:51:08 PM »
Thank you for the updates gohloum, one more waiting for your posts to close a deal with Pete if everything goes well with your bike, it`s been very helpfull