Author Topic: Leadville 2015 - Chiner Edition  (Read 12123 times)

carbonazza

Re: Leadville 2015 - Chiner Edition
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 01:30:59 PM »
@seahog, aren't you this furious rider on our Strava group that almost climbs the equivalent of the Everest every week ?
If so, don't worry, you'll be fine :)

seahog32

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 02:16:06 PM »
I wish "being fine" was all I need to be happy. Unfortunately, I am one of those ultracompetitive idiots who tend to push as hard as they can and sometimes harder. Which is what makes me worried. So I just keep telling myself that this is not really a race for me, only a challenge. Well, obviously. I am almost 50 and never was good enough to win a race of this magnitude anyway, even when younger. And I am not worried about the distance nor the climbing. The only thing that makes me wonder is the altitude. I've been higher in my life, significantly higher actually, so I think I know what to expect and how to handle it. But still, the acclimatization process is a rather unpredictable thing in my experience.

Oh, before I'm done with my rant, yes I am that guy with most elevation gain every week. That is mostly by default though. There is not piece af flat land in a 100 mile radius from where I live.

carbonazza

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »
It looks it will be harder than usual: http://www.bicycling.com/training/health-injuries/altitude-101 ( after a quick google search, interesting read )
Maybe you will only be able to do the Mont Blanc then :)
Good luck for the race!

SportingGoods

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 03:11:53 AM »
Good luck Seahog32!

I did a 50 miles/8000ft raid last year. It was tough, very technical. When I finished I told myself I'd never do this again. 4 month later I had registered for the race again :)
Training was key. It went a lot better this year (even though I was so much faster downhill that I crashed twice). I can't picture myself into a raid that is twice mine... impressive. What I found interesting is that Vipassana paused only about 20 minutes over the entire race. How can that be? I paused about 15 minutes every 90 minutes to get some food, stretch.

I knew about Leadville 100 from Scott Jurek (Born to run, Eat and run) but had no clue it was also a bike race.

Reading Vipassana's report it looks like you should pay attention to your pressure (tire and fork) to offset the altitude.

Patrick C.

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 11:03:21 AM »
Absolute air pressure drops about 4.6 psi from sea level to 10,000 feet, so if your tires were at 20 psi gauge pressure they might measure close to 25.  This would definitely affect the feel, but why wouldn't you air up the tires right before you ride?

I'm not convinced it would have any effect on the fork, since the force on the fork depends more on the absolute pressure inside the air chamber as you're compressing it.  It may sag a little bit less, giving you an extra mm or 2 of travel, but I don't know if it would be noticeable. 

seahog32

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »
Absolute air pressure drops about 4.6 psi from sea level to 10,000 feet, so if your tires were at 20 psi gauge pressure they might measure close to 25.  This would definitely affect the feel, but why wouldn't you air up the tires right before you ride?

I'm not convinced it would have any effect on the fork, since the force on the fork depends more on the absolute pressure inside the air chamber as you're compressing it.  It may sag a little bit less, giving you an extra mm or 2 of travel, but I don't know if it would be noticeable.

Frankly, I personally don't believe any of this can have any significant effect on my(!) riding. Especially not on this very non-technical course (even from this roadie's point of view). This is 95% or more dirt road riding even if some of those roads are quite rough. The whole course can be viewed on youtube if any of you have nothing better to do for 10  or so hrs. I myself had spent numerous hours watching those videos while sweating in my basement riding the trainer last winter. Where the atmosperic pressure will really play a role though is when it comes to solubility of oxygen in blood. But it won't botther me too much even if I am wrong in my opinion on the effect of the altitude on the tire pressure. I like them harder than most mtb riders anyway.

Thank you all for the wishes of luck. I am unlikely to write a detailed report here, i am afraid, but anyone interested will be able to see the GPS, barometric altimeter and HR data on Strava. That is, if I live to tell the story  ;)

Now it is time to start packing (that is, when I finally get home from work today) and then bound for Colorado tomorrow on daybreak!

Vipassana

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »
How'd you do?  I hope all went well for you!

seahog32

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 05:21:07 PM »
All went quite well. I mean no crushes, injuries and such. Finished in 10:05 which was just a little bit disappointing as I was aiming for time under 10 hrs. I had one flat. A piece of wire got stuck in my rear tire causing an annoying slow leak. And I had a problem with my drinking system (a kink in the hose). If not those it could have been under 10 hours easily. However, poor downhill riding skills cost me at least 30 minutes I'd say so no reason to bitch about 5 minutes. I just felt like I was too far from home to take any risks that I could possibly avoid. Broken collar bone (or worse) would have made for a damn bad trip. Just for illustration, I was in the 502nd position overall at the Colombine aid station and finished 583rd (or something like that) and only 3 riders passed me on the uphill sections on the way back to the town that I did not catch and pass later on. On the other hand, I've been passed right and left on the downhill sections as if I was standing still. Also, I did carry too much water and food. Should have relied more on the aid stations. And my tires were a little too much on the slick side for the terrain. It looks like it had been quite a rainy summer down there and quite a few riders were saying that they did not remember the trails/roads being that rough. I personally found the Sugarloaf descend to be the harshest, though fatigue probably played some role in that. On the other hand, the feared Powerline descend was quite easy in my opinion, even from a roadie's point of view, although the traffic was still quite heavy there on the way out and the pace quite slow.
To wrap it up, it was quite hard. Not the hardest, physically speaking, day in my life but in the hardest let's say 15%. And those 5 minutes over 10 hours keep bugging me even if I play it cool (OCD, no doubt!) so I may try to go back at some point in the future to rectify that unfortunate situation. Maybe in 2 years when I will be 50 to take the advantage of being at the "young" end of my age group.

SportingGoods

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 02:58:10 AM »
Congratulation! That's a great time. Finishing is an accomplishment on its own.