Author Topic: Brakes: Hope Tech 3 X2 vs Deore XT M8000  (Read 5224 times)

gohloum

Brakes: Hope Tech 3 X2 vs Deore XT M8000
« on: September 25, 2016, 12:16:16 PM »
As I am getting parts on order and checking my budget, I could potentially squeeze enough for the Hope Tech 3 X2 from Chain Reaction Cycles.  This will be my first set of hydraulics, so I was wondering if it's worth going the extra $120+/- dollars? 

I've watched videos on how to bleed both brakes and it seems the Hope Tech may be easier, and doesn't require any special funnel or other proprietary items.  This would come in handy if I am traveling and don't have that stuff with me. 

Also, they come in colors which is nice.   

Any thoughts on performance and upkeep comparisons?

carbonazza

Re: Brakes: Hope Tech 3 X2 vs Deore XT M8000
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 04:23:27 PM »
I have the Race Evo X2 on my bike for 2+ year.
And my kid and my brother bikes have the MT8000 ones for a few months.

Once you have the seringues kit, Shimano are as easy if not easier than Hope to bleed.

Shimano brake are more of an on/off style, while hope has more range before stopping the wheel.
Both are very good brakes.

gohloum

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 11:23:38 PM »
I did more research and found on a few other forums where it was mentioned if you had never had hydraulics, the XT are wonderful, but once you try the Hope brakes, the XTs feel like a toy.  They are in a whole different league with much better control. 

Gonna do some checks and balances tomorrow to see if I can swing the Hopes. I'm really leaning in that direction.   8)

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 03:20:55 AM »
...the XTs feel like a toy.  They are in a whole different league...

I think it is overrated, the MT8000 are very good brakes, but you'll be definitely happy with the Hope's too :)

gohloum

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 10:37:06 AM »
I'm building the MB01, but was wondering about X2 or E4 brakes.  From what I gather the X2 is more XC geared and weighs a little less.  The E4 is more enduro and has a dual piston caliper at the expense of about 40 grams.  I can afford to go either way and kind of tempted to go E4, but wondering if I just might be over thinking it. Yes, I will be riding mostly in Florida, but on the occasion I am traveling, there might be a few descents. When I was in Kentucky this past summer, some of the road riding to get to the trail had a 2 mile descent.  Again, this will be my first hydraulics, so any advice would be great.

I'm most likely going to order from Merlin.  They have the best prices I could find even though only black.  I wanted Orange since I will have that orange Fox fork and blue accents (grips, and other odds and ends).  But at $80 more for a color from another vendor, I can't justify it. 

SportingGoods

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 10:47:05 AM »
You need more then a long descent to blow XC type brakes. You need to be very aggressive, get fast (>40km/h) and need to slow down in no time to really have a need for Enduro type brakes.
From what I read from you, the X2 won't let you down!
Even here in the Alps I was fine with single piston brake for a long time. It's only when I learned to forget my brakes, ride fast with the flow, that I felt the need for power (SRAM Guide RSC).

Agreed that $80 is a lot to get the color you get... but that's so cool :D

gohloum

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 10:59:42 AM »
Thanks for that input.  X2 with braided hose is what I think I'll do.  Just hope the 5mm hose will route through the frame. I asked Peter about the MB01 and if it would fit, but he didn't know as he has never actually built that model.

Guess I'll be updating you on what happens with that as well.

gohloum

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 09:13:43 PM »
Oops, I never followed up on this thread, but to confirm, the braided hoses routed nicely through the frame of the CS-MB01.  After comparing my brakes to my buddy's bikes, one with XT and the other with XTR, I feel really good about them.  The modulation is far superior and it only took me a few days of tooling around in front of the house to be able to do controlled stoppies (rolling endo on the front wheel while slowing down).  I can easily pull one about 20 feet or so.  I tried it on my buddy's Niner with the XTR brakes... Bad idea and a good thing I was on the grass because I wiped out.  Seems the Shimano brakes have modulation, but not a very smooth curve.  They are more on/off IMO.

I've started working other simple skills, track stands, manuals, etc... Things that need highly controlled brakes.  The Hope Techs are really working well in this department. Oh yeah, and I'm using a set of $20 Snail rotors from aliexpress! 

Ironically, about a dozen people have tried my bike to check it out.  Almost every single one of them have commented about how they like how my brakes feel. 

Hopes will definitely be on my future builds.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 09:18:45 PM by gohloum »