Author Topic: MTB Home trainer Software  (Read 26928 times)

karstenhorn

MTB Home trainer Software
« on: September 28, 2016, 03:28:50 AM »
As the winter period is approaching rapidly here in Scandinavia with prolonged periods where it is no fun to be riding out in the snow/heavy rain/stormy weather, I have decided to invest in a home cycle trainer to cover those periods where actual cycling is not possible. I was wandering if anyone here are using a home smart trainer system and especially the software part for the smart system. I would love to find a software package that support BOTH MTB as well as road riding. Searching the internet I have so far only found  https://www.trainerroad.com/ and that requires me to purchase an ANT+ dongle to my MAC just to check it out as it apparently do not support BT. Any experience with Trainer Road or any other smart software package?

Karsten

Lanz

Re: MTB Home trainer Software
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 10:46:57 AM »
Trainerroad is great, I was using it last fall to spring and quite enjoyed it. There are a lot of structured programs for mtb, so I'd recommend to pick some that fits you most and that stick to it. Occasional sessions will not give such effect except the suffering from indoor riding  ;D

karstenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »
Trainerroad is great, I was using it last fall to spring and quite enjoyed it. There are a lot of structured programs for mtb, so I'd recommend to pick some that fits you most and that stick to it. Occasional sessions will not give such effect except the suffering from indoor riding  ;D

Thanks for the feedback on trainer road and my main goal is just that, follow a realistic training program where I can log my progress(hopefully). Do you happen to know if it is also possible to ride sections via link to a big screen, both MTB and road? It could be fun to ride some longer trails a boring Saturday afternoon and have it presented on a big screen in front of you :D

Karsten

Lanz

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 04:39:21 AM »
You can run their app in a 'compact' mode, so only the panel with intervals will be visible on the down part of the screen an put a video with your favorite race/movie in the same time. I was watching the world cup races this way.

SportingGoods

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »
I'm interested too. Now that I've spend a few week training on my road bike I understand how road-type training will benefit my MTB performance. And indoor trainer is just that. I used to use an elliptical trainer but that's not the same muscles involved.

So, reviewing TrainerRoad, it looks like a good tool. DC Rainmaker blogger likes it, and he's a reference to me! he's got multiple articles on it, here is one:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/02/weekend-wrap-up-trainerroad-cold-dc.html

I found that you can also hook up TrainerRoad together with Sufferfest, which is motivating video.
https://thesufferfest.com/collections/cycling-videos/products/elements-of-style

But then, you need all of that:
- a road bike (I doubt you can use an indoor trainer with a MTB)
- an indoor trainer
- sensors on your bike: speed at the minimum. ANT+ or Smart BT (connects to iPhone)
- TrainerRoad subscription
- Sufferfest subscription

That's a lot for training in the winter! But I consider this  ::)

karstenhorn

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 01:42:09 AM »
I like DC Rainmaker as well - He do have some vice down to earth comments about stuff :D

I have ordered a TACX Bushito smart trainer that I will use together with my Garmin Edge(can control the trainer via BT and ANT+). Clearly Trainer Road is the best trainer sw, however as I use Garmin Connect, I do also have all the sensors readily at hand and initially I will check out if that is sufficiently to keep track of my training programme. For the recreational part I will use the BKOOL simmulator as it is clearly the absolutely best cycle simulator and the fact that you in this simulator can ride 1000s of MTB trails, both in live video as well as in 3D. You can even import your own ridden tracks from Strava or Garmin and convert them into 3D sessions in the BKOOL sw package. Also, if you have camera system like GO-PRO or Contour that stores meta-data from a GPS, you can create live video sessions from your favourite MTB trail and ride it again and again. The BKOOL simulator will control your smart trainer with regards to resistance directly in order to integrate fully with the track you are following in the simulator and all information like power, speed, HR and cadence is fully integrated as well. My Garmin will then record all the same data in parallel and I can then use that for the analysing part of my session.

All the Smart trainers that I have been looking at, can be used with a MTB as well, only challenge is your rear axle system but again, most trainers you can buy adapters for just that. As a matter of fact I will use my old Specialized FSR MTB for my trainer as the primary bicycle.

For the smart trainers, TACX seems to get the best feedback on the internet when it comes to the mid-range trainers. DC Rainmaker as a matter of fact highlighted the TACX Vortex as the best buy in that class. The Bushito I bought is one class up from that and the only reason why I bought that and not the Vortex is the fact that it can simulate steeper climbs for a heavier guy like me.

Karsten

karstenhorn

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 11:53:20 AM »
Another quick update, I got the TACX trainer today and the installation went smooth an no issues connecting to Iphone app or my Edge 1000. I will go for a testride tomorrow :D

There was absolutely no issues fitting my old MTB to the trainer using a real trainer tire also from TACX.

Karsten

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 05:08:06 PM »
...you can create live video sessions from your favourite MTB trail and ride it again and again...
This is a new dimension in home training... Recording a track without mud, and riding it multiple times during the winter :)
If you can make a video, please let us know how it went, and the app/hardware stack needed.

karstenhorn

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 03:13:39 AM »
...you can create live video sessions from your favourite MTB trail and ride it again and again...
This is a new dimension in home training... Recording a track without mud, and riding it multiple times during the winter :)
If you can make a video, please let us know how it went, and the app/hardware stack needed.

Unfortunately on all the video I have from my resent MTB rides have been with disabled GPS meta data collection as it reduces the the battery time dramatically. However, on my next ride I will experiment with it for sure. Until then I will try to upload all my Garmin TCX files in order for them to be converted into 3D video and after that integrated into the BKOOL simulator.  If I make them public it would be possible to share rides within a community or even ride them together live. During a live session, there will be the possibility to have voice chat during the ride.

Karsten

Lanz

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 03:33:35 AM »
I have ordered a TACX Bushito smart trainer that I will use together with my Garmin Edge(can control the trainer via BT and ANT+).

Congrats! I have a question about Bushido, recently I thought about moving to Bushido smart from my old Satori, but I wasn't able to figure out from the reviews, does the new Bushido have built-in "powermeter"? I mean do they provide at least some power estimations? And the second thing which I was interested in - how realistic is the climb simulation in Bushidos?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:53:49 AM by Lanz »

karstenhorn

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 07:49:29 AM »
I have ordered a TACX Bushito smart trainer that I will use together with my Garmin Edge(can control the trainer via BT and ANT+).

Congrats! I have a question about Bushido, recently I though about moving to Bushido smart from my old Satori, but I wasn't able to figure out from the reviews, does the new Bushido have built-in "powermeters"? I mean do they provide at least some power estimations? And the second thing which I was interested in - how realistic is the climb simulation in Bushidos?

I have only just played around a little during setup yesterday but yes, there is a "power meter" based on your body weight, speed etc and it seems to work ok  maybe a little on the low side. Regarding climb simulation, I can tell you more that after I'm done with Alp D'huez later today :D

Karsten

SportingGoods

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 02:22:51 AM »
As we get deeper into Fall I look more seriously into the Home trainer. I still plan to ride in the rain (I realize that road riding in the rain is actually a lot of fun, slower but still very nice) but there will be days where it will be freezing or be completely dark (and dangerous even with lights).

So, I'm tempted with the Fluid trainers. As simple as can be, no electronics, quiet with resistance simply modulated by your speed. I'd use it with a training plan (TrainerRoad or Zwift). I already get a cadence meter and a speed meter, so I really don't need a fancy trainer.

Am I missing anything? Do you think that a Smart trainer is really a must? Any comparison between TR or Zwift?

Lanz

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 03:35:35 AM »
I have a simplest and non-smart Tacx Satori and it works pretty fine for me in a pack with TrainerRoad. The only thing I'd like to have is the powermeter (but it has nothing related to the trainer). All other trainer options are cool, but you know...whistles and bells, you can still do a lot of work even with a basic functionality.

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 05:08:48 AM »
I tend to go out by any weather, mainly rain and mud here in Belgium.
However filming some of my usual trails ( sunny obviously ) and riding them virtually at any hour could be fun.
I didn't research the hardware/software list needed, but this clearly smells like a new money hole :o

SportingGoods

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 07:57:48 AM »
It's not just about rain and mud. It can, I've seen places looking like a swimming pool (10 m long, as wide as the trail, up to 30-40 cm deep). No fun.

Then, it's about available time too. With 2 young kids it can be handy to get an indoor ride in the evening, when I can't leave them alone at home. Sometimes, specifically in the winter, it's too dark outside apart from lunch rides. Weekends are busy!

Looking at cost, here is my rough estimation:
- A basic but still good quality Home Trainer: 200€
- Accessories (floor mat, front wheel stand, fan, etc...): 50€
- Rear tire (in case you don't have a road type tire): 20€
- Sensors (Speed, cadence. You need it unless you invest in an expensive home trainer): 60€

That's already 330€.

Then, TrainerRoad is 12€/month, Zwift is 10€/month. That's about 50€/year as you don't need it all through the year.

I own an elliptical indoor "bike" (which is not a bike). Using it last winter, I've seen a lot of benefit but this is closer to running then cycling. I can see how a Home Trainer could help me to be in shape 2 month earlier and then enjoy a longer period on the bike as soon as the weather is getting better.

Sounds nice, sounds like a new money hole indeed  ;D