Author Topic: CS 197?  (Read 17394 times)

Akchugacher

CS 197?
« on: September 29, 2016, 11:45:27 PM »
Looks like Peter, with carbon speed, has a new rig out.  Appears to meet all the latest "standards" for what folks want out of a fat bike:  Suspension corrected geometry, fits 4.8/5" tires, 100mm BSA.  Anyone know of anyone building one yet?

OilcanRacer

Re: CS 197?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 10:38:06 PM »
I have a 15.5 on the way.  Building up a super light weight 100mm wheelset for the 2xl snowshoes.

Akchugacher

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 07:15:09 PM »
Keep me posted, I'm likely ordering one for a friend this week. 

roaringfork

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:04:20 PM »
Super interested in this bike and anyone's experiences with it. Thanks!

Cevan

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
Anyone know what size crank spindle is required to clear the chainstays if you are using a 1x setup?  I know its a 100mm BB shell but I'm not sure what will clear 190mm stays.  I'd prefer not to have to run a crank with a huge Q factor.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:22:05 PM by Cevan »
Chris

tybiker25

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »
I've got a 19.5" built and have ridden it many times. I love this frame and geometry. I also have a matching pair of the Fatclub 80mm wheelset that Peter offers. Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding the build and/or frame.

I built mine with a Race Face Aeffect cinch fat bike crank, spec'd for 190mm rear axle spacing. I'd recommend getting something that is meant for the 190mm rear axle so that the chain line is correct for the rear cassette. I'm running a 1x11 setup, Shimano Deore shifters with a 28T up front on the Raceface crank. Maybe there is a crankset that allows the chainring to come closer to the crankarms and have a narrower Q factor??? Not sure on that...

The pictures I snapped aren't the greatest from a photography point of view, but I hope they help depict the build clearances. I'm running a Surly Bud/Lou combo 4.8" with the rear wheel in the front dropout. As you can see there is a lot of clearance between the chain and the tire still, when the chain is in the largest ring in the cassette. I tried to take a picture of the chainline. With the chain in the middle of the cassette in the rear.

As a side note, I originally had the rear wheel in the rear dropout position and had a ton of clearance with the 4.8 Bud/Lou tires. So it should fit the Snowshoe XXL 5" tires great.

And the picture that Peter sent a link to is my bike!  :)

Fatclub 80mm Wheelset
CS-197 Frameset, CarbonSpeedbikes.com
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:48:40 PM by tybiker25 »

Cevan

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 11:56:21 AM »
Tybiker, I'm looking for info on running the rear derailleur and rear brake lines.  Are there sleeves?  Any difficulties?  Do they rattle?
Chris

tybiker25

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 12:40:44 PM »
Tybiker, I'm looking for info on running the rear derailleur and rear brake lines.  Are there sleeves?  Any difficulties?  Do they rattle?

Sleeves? Do you mean internal guide sleeves? There aren't any of those, but there are plastic removable caps where the routing goes, which makes it easier to find the loose end when pushing through the frame. Mine have never rattled.

Cevan

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 06:15:20 PM »

Sleeves? Do you mean internal guide sleeves? There aren't any of those, but there are plastic removable caps where the routing goes, which makes it easier to find the loose end when pushing through the frame. Mine have never rattled.

Yes, guide sleeves. 
My 197 is in transit.

How did you get the brake and cable lines through the holes in the frame?
Is there access on the underside of the BB?
Chris

tybiker25

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 06:25:30 PM »

Yes, guide sleeves. 
My 197 is in transit.

There isn't access, but there is a lot of room on the inside of the frame near the bottom bracket. I just used a small metal hook and helped it through with the bottom bracket uninstalled. Takes a minute, but it's really not that bad. I started from the bottom of the chainstay and worked up towards the head tube.

Cevan

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 07:17:05 PM »

Yes, guide sleeves. 
My 197 is in transit.

There isn't access, but there is a lot of room on the inside of the frame near the bottom bracket. I just used a small metal hook and helped it through with the bottom bracket uninstalled. Takes a minute, but it's really not that bad. I started from the bottom of the chainstay and worked up towards the head tube.

Cool. 
How long did shipping take once it got to the shipper?
Chris

tybiker25

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »

Yes, guide sleeves. 
My 197 is in transit.

Cool. 
How long did shipping take once it got to the shipper?

Once it shipped it took about 5-7 business days to arrive.

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
what did you run for a front and rear hub ? size and brand ? 190mm rear but front? starting my first build soon..

tybiker25

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 09:12:25 PM »
what did you run for a front and rear hub ? size and brand ? 190mm rear but front? starting my first build soon..

I got a pair of Peter's already built wheelsets.

Chosen hubs, 15x150 front, 12x197mm rear.