Author Topic: veld bashing, riding down stairs, or similar activities  (Read 2831 times)

stout_to_carbon

veld bashing, riding down stairs, or similar activities
« on: October 05, 2016, 01:11:02 AM »
I have a IP-056.   http://www.xmiplay.com/ProductDetails1572

It's a rigid singlespeed with a FK029 fork. 

Both from XMIPLAY.

I built it up, and road it a few times over 4 months.  On day, on a trail, the fork snapped of during braking.   Bert at XMLIPLAY sent me a replacement.   

I bought the frame late Dec, 2014.  Replacement fork shipped in early, April, 2015.   Just roughly 4 months.

I love my nerve with it.   I put the frame on the shelf and went back to my heavy steel bike, which is very reliable, but heavy!   Now, at 1.5 years later, I'm building it up again, with the replacement fork.   Am I nuts?

I'm nervous about the FRAME and the FORK.     I ride in bumpy places that friends ride full suspension bikes.   Looking at the link above for the frame, you'll see a quote seen on quite a few other frames.

This warranty does not cover:
    * Normal wear and tear, any damage caused by accident, misuse, neglect, abuse, or stunt riding (veld bashing, riding down stairs, or similar activities).

This really worries me, as I ride down rutty, rooty, rocky stuff that could be thought of as stairs, or bashing.   I don't want to worry about this bike if I ride it hard, hammer pedal it, or go flying down a bumpy trails at top speed. 

So, what is the word about this frame?  And reviews?  Ride reports?

SportingGoods

Re: veld bashing, riding down stairs, or similar activities
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 03:11:15 AM »
OK, so you tell us that you ride places with a full rigid singlespeed (frame and fork) where people use full-sus. Then you tell us that you go that fast and hard that you already broke a fork.

And you ask us what we think about it?

I'd say, buy a full-sus :D
At least install a proper suspension fork, this will take you long way.

stout_to_carbon

Thanks for the suggestion.   I don't want a full suspension bike, nor to do I think I need one.

The point is, there are plenty of people showing pics and vids of ip-056/7 frame build ups on this forum, and elsewhere on the net.   I'm wondering how they are holding up?  If anyone riding 056/7 has some feedback, please share.

final forum

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 03:24:15 PM »
057 is the most overbuilt carbon frame. It's the frame I would suggest for you
. That said I would suggest at least a front fork.  If your trying to be the SS fixie rigid hipster on the trail then ride on.

karstenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 11:09:01 PM »
057 is the most overbuilt carbon frame. It's the frame I would suggest for you
. That said I would suggest at least a front fork.  If your trying to be the SS fixie rigid hipster on the trail then ride on.

Yo cannot compare only the frame model without also taking into account who sold it. Most Chinese frames are based on so-called open molds and there are more than 1 factory producing the same frame type. Quality can vary quite a bit from producer to producer. If you look at other MTB forums you will see that you are not the only one braking carbon forks and if you indeed ride as hard as you explain, I would say that you are just waiting for a disaster to happen. Will it be nice going down a steep rough decent with big drops thinking about if/when my fork breaks the next time ?

Karsten

Jerryno

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:20:34 AM »
You come to us that you ride an enduro trail on rigid single-speed with a problem that you already broke your fork. You were asking for it. Be glad you are alive.

I don't want a full suspension bike, nor to do I think I need one.

If you don't want to change your equipment, you need to change the trail or change the pace and ride the trail slowly and carefully not to damage your equipment that is not fit for the trail. That is no fun, isn't it.

If you do want to have fun on such trail and also ride safely and with ease of mind then you need a full-sus bike that is fit for the job.

There is no other way. Don't be stupid and don't risk your health. If all your friends ride full-sus on that trail they are doing it right and you are doing it wrong.

The least you can do is to get a suspension fork.

Riding that trail on a rigid single-speed is like eating a soup with a fork - it's the wrong tool. It's even worst, because a fork will not kill you..or will it?(pun intended)

Patrick C.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 08:50:23 AM »
I have an -056/-057, also from iPlay.  I've ridden it now for 2 years on rough trails- rocks, roots, erosion.  I have a 100 mm RockShox SID fork that regularly uses the full travel and occasionally bottoms out.  I don't do any big drops, and I am not the hardest rider but I am not taking it easy either.  I weigh 205 lbs/93 kg.  I've had no issue with the frame, and I don't worry that it will snap unless I hit something that will also probably break me. 

I've never ridden a carbon fork on a MTB, so can't really comment other than to say that the suspension fork would give me reassurance that it will be less likely to snap when I bottom out on the granite. (or at least it will absorb more energy before folding up :) )  For regularly bashing through stuff at high speed, I would also go with front suspension at least.