Author Topic: Red Chiner: IP-057, Rockshox SID, XT  (Read 14866 times)

Vipassana

Re: Red Chiner: IP-057, Rockshox SID, XT
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 09:24:03 PM »
That's a right trail in some spots. I've never had to think twice about handle bar width, but it would seem it's very important on a trail like that.  Looks fun.

Patrick C.

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »
Do you even have trails with trees out there?  :)

Izzy

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »
I agree. Looks really good! Now you just have to get those carbon rims on there, and you'll be good.

Patrick C.

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »
Here's some more from the end of the ride.  I had ridden around this rock before, but decided to give it a try this time. 

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
Ouch!  Did you figure out what you did wrong Patrick?
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 01:10:48 PM »
 I basically stalled out at the top- I didn't realize that the rock was 'pointy' enough that I couldn't roll over it until it was too late.    Not sure if my pedal hit the rock too, but if I had given it more power on the way up I should have been able to wheelie off the other side.  In this case, lack of speed kills.

Edit- probably had my weight too far forward too

Oolak

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 10:30:55 PM »
Hahaha.. Well props to you for going for it! Be careful man, wouldn't want to see you posting pics with a cast on!

I always make it a habit to never try an obstacle if it's my first ride on the trail. Of course, I may be a bit overly cautious but it sure helps my confidence if I know exactly what the other side of that obstacle looks like!

Edit: Just seen where you said you'e ridden around that rock before. Guess it didn't help knowing what the other side of looked like! But yeah, more speed and weight low and back prob would've helped. Of course, there's more than one way to get over a rock like that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:33:06 PM by Oolak »

brmeyer135

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »
Watching the first video, I was thinking he may need to keep some speed going on some of those.
Otherwise, interesting trail...heck, I couldn't discern/see the trail very well in the video.
One area that looked dangerous(to me), the thin 'board bridge'? that had a turn in it...just looks like a place to fall because front tire slips out...you made it look easy...but I could see with a little more speed and possibly a dewey morning...off ya go.
A topic should be created where folks can post rides of trails..or special parts of trails or whatever...could be useful for those that may go to another's area(damn interesting to watch some anyways).

Patrick C.

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2016, 03:29:40 PM »
Bit of an update- no real changes to the bike (since the two sets of carbon wheels- been a long time since this was updated!), but I snapped my chain last night.  It was still the original one, 2.5 years old though I have no idea how many miles it had on it.  I was doing a night ride with a local group, and was leading when I went off the trail on a sweeping curve.  Everything is covered in loose leaves so it's hard enough to follow the trail in daylight :)  No danger of crashing, I just followed the wrong line.  Grabbed the brakes hard then tried to get back on the trail, but stalled out and wound up with all my weight on one pedal at a dead stop.  Then Snap!  My eggbeater popped out immediately and I would up just standing there.  The worst part was that everyone got cold waiting on me to fix it- it was about 45°F/7°C at the time.  Hopefully the rest of the drivetrain is not too worn and the new chain won't skip.  If it does, I guess it is time to go to a 1X.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 05:35:41 PM »
1x = Good.

Did you have a temporary power link to fix the chain?  We had a guy on a single speed break his chain on a night ride 2 weeks ago, unfortunately his chain was 9-spd and my power link was 11-spd so I was not able to help him.  He ended up coasting the bike back to the parking lot which lucky for him was more down hill than up hill.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2016, 08:40:25 AM »
Yes, I keep a pack of them in my Camelback.  One of the other guys in the group is apparently much more organized than me though- as I was fumbling through the contents trying to remember where I put them, he hands me his chain tool and a link.  It was near the end of the ride so I considered walking, but it would have been mostly uphill (no coasting).