Author Topic: Please help me decide !  (Read 3609 times)

urga

Please help me decide !
« on: January 20, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »
Hi
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I am asking a stupid question
I am in the market for a new gravel  and 29plus bike frames. I can see identical frames to the ones I like for sale online via some chinese websites. These look too good to be true, so I've looked about for advice into what constitutes a good frame. Initially I've just assumed that I would be going direct to the manufactures that the bike companies use, thus I would forego the premium prices for the sake of a paint job and decals. I then came across this article, http://www.velonews.com/not-all-frames-are-created-equal-a-look-deep-inside-the-carbon-in-counterfeit-bikes , and it made me stop in my tracks. Is there truth in this ?Are these frames all potentionally dangerous,or is this just the bike industry scaremongering to protect it's profits ?
Hope someone can shed some light on this for me
Regards
Dave

bxcc

Re: Please help me decide !
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:52:42 PM »
Yes there is some truth behind it. But in my opinion, it is also very skewed to the one side.

I currently have 3 frames, 2 forks, 1 flat handlebar, and 3 sets of rims in my house. All have been trouble free. With the frames, the finishing touches aren't as nice as on the name brand bikes but they are far from bad. I had to finish sanding down a resin bump on one integrated headset race and on one rear drop out. I also had to remove a resin bump in the chainstay of my plus bike. If I had no mechanical ability what so ever and I needed someone else to build the bike, I would definitely stay away. But that isn't the case and I have been lucky to be able to fix whatever little nuances that have come up. This does not mean that they are bad, just that they aren't as "nice". In the article they are talking about counterfeit frames. Not all of them are intended to be that way. Most are factory "samples" that are made to showcase a product or ability to bike companies. I personally wouldn't buy a "counterfeit" frame but I have no issues at all buying a generic one. But I also eat store brand cereal if that says anything.