Author Topic: Other Steeds: A Thread To Show Our Non-Chinese Bikes!  (Read 9948 times)

Midwest-MTBer

Other Steeds: A Thread To Show Our Non-Chinese Bikes!
« on: November 05, 2016, 11:40:07 PM »
Haven't stumbled across an organized thread on this forum yet of other (non-Chinese) bikes people have purchased or have laying around. I guess I'm curious to see what everyone else rides when their Chiner is at home!

To start things off... Bought this bike a few weeks ago from a guy who is selling all his stuff to move to Alaska. I've wanted a road bike for awhile because their easier to get out and ride where I live and go to school. Obviously, I didn't get a road bike.. I went to a shop to find my fit for some different frames, but was attracted to the aerodynamic qualities of the tri bikes. I didn't mind the more forward geometry and since I would primarily be riding alone so I didn't need to worry about drafting and quick braking. Going from the road bike to the tri bike was a huge difference. I could rip on the tri bike. So I started pricing things out... Wow. Pretty expensive!! So I went the chinese route, got some quotes, but the tri frames were even more expensive than the CS-036 I bought. Plus, these frames are largely unreviewed, so I would've been taking a chance with components and probably have suffered from some massive headaches. Anyways, this deal popped up on craigslist locally so I sprung on it! I don't regret it at all. Really love how fast it is and how comfortable it is. I'm now going to swim and run during the winter to try and get in shape for some triathlons this summer.

Here's a handy link to people interested in a chinese tri bike...
http://www.championunited.com/home/content/how-build-your-own-time-trial-bike

And here she is! (Please forgive me for the cheap pedals.. Upgrading soon)

Midwest-MTBer

Re: Other Steeds: A Thread To Show Our Non-Chinese Bikes!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:07:25 AM »
Not sure what you mean..

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 04:11:28 AM »
What are these hubs?

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 05:56:51 AM »
In that image that's a Roval wheel set with stock Roval hubs. I've since upgraded to a deeper dish rim with speedplay hubs. The wheels are actually half Chinese themselves, so I'll post more pictures and information soon.

bxcc

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »
I'll play. The 5010.2 is mine and I'm currently waiting on the new crop of Bontrager 27.5x2.55 tires to become available. The Tallboy 3 is my wife's bike. Luckily I am only an inch taller than her so we both ride large framed bikes. It's a win win. 8)

The rims on the 5010 are from Nextie which I got in the fall of 2013, before I knew about Peter.
The rims on the TB are from Peter which he had painted to match the turquoise in the frame. The CX-Ray spokes came from him too.
Super happy with both sets of rims.

Sorry for the extra large pictures...

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:29:39 AM by bxcc »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 12:53:40 PM »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 07:37:32 PM »
Here's the Transition as it stands now. I put a new saddle (Adamo Breakaway) and have a new set of bars from Aliexpress ready to be installed tonight! The wheels are actually more interesting.. They're from a really small company called C7 concepts. The founder was a cyclist and highway patrol officer before he was hit by a car and paralyzed. He went on to get into hand cycling and even has become a member of the US Paralympic cycling team! He founded this company to build hand cycles and wheels. I actually got the wheels locally from a guy on craigslist, but I emailed C7 since there wasn't to much information out there on his wheels. He told me they're made in China, but his manufacturers have given him Skype tours of the factories so he can see the QC and process. I thought it was a pretty neat company. So far the wheels have been incredible. The bike feels so much faster now.

tripleDot

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 09:34:08 PM »
Here's my non-chiner bike... a Haro Projekt fixed gear. Although I run it on free-wheel.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 10:23:34 AM »
Not yet a bike, but a frame arrived today!
It is dirt jumper Kona Shonky AL

As I came late to cycling, I wanted a better tool to improve my technical skills.
Learning them on my high-saddle-clipless-29er is quickly dicey.
And when I saw this frame for a bargain I jumped on it :)

The first impression: the frames coming from China are much... much better wrapped!

bxcc

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 07:27:50 AM »
I finally got the rubbers installed and put on 12 miles last night.

lRaphl

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 09:35:10 AM »
This is my latest acquisition, RSD Mayor fat bike. Got it last september and put over 2000Km of snow riding on it last winter. This is the best bike geometry I ever rode so far in my life.