Author Topic: Singlespeed rigid/rigid frame advice  (Read 5186 times)

Cevan

Singlespeed rigid/rigid frame advice
« on: November 27, 2016, 06:45:41 AM »
First post here and looking to get some advice. 

I am going to build up a very light 29er singlespeed with a rigid fork this winter.  My buddy has an 18 lb Foundry and that thing is so much fun to ride.   Unfortunately that frame is no longer available so I'm looking at these Chinese frames.  His Foundry had a 71.5 headtube angle.  The frame that is the closest is the IP-01.  Not sure about its reliability. The 057/Yoeleo M-91 seem well sorted but have a  comparatively slack headtube angle. 

I don't want a heavy frame but a100-200gram difference isn't going to make or break my decision.

One more thing.  OnCarbonspeed's website, there are no prices I could find.  Is this info available somewhere?

Thanks for you input.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:43:06 AM by Cevan »

Chris

tripleDot

Re: Singlespeed rigid/rigid frame advice
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 10:06:49 AM »
Can't suggest which frame as I'm personally looking at a Ti frame for my SS project.  But as for Carbon Speed prices, just look for Peter's email address on CS website, and shoot him an inquiry.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

Cevan

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 08:42:50 PM »
I emailed Peter and he was very responsive in answering my questions regarding pricing and ordering. 

Any singlespeeders here?
Chris

bxcc

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 06:47:27 AM »
Yup! I'm running my Workswell 062 as a singlespeed. I do wish I would have went with a BB30 instead of the BSA so I could have used and EBB instead of the chainguide as a tensioner but it works. And I wasn't planning on using it as a SS when I ordered the frame. It's at 20.4 pounds with XT trail pedals and a RS Sid front fork. I'm thinking of putting the rigid fork back on for the winter months and that should put it right at 18 pounds or so.

Cevan

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 07:54:31 PM »
I saw your build in another thread.  I had never ridden such a light ss until recently.  Gotta have one now.

I was leaning towards a BSA.  Going to use a Next SL crankset.   
Chris

bxcc

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 06:12:51 AM »
I was leaning towards a BSA.  Going to use a Next SL crankset.   

What is your plan for keeping tension on the chain?

I have been very pleased with my WW-062 frame. The head angle is 70.5 with the 100mm Sid that's currently installed. It's based around a 71 degree head angle with a 90mm (497mm A2C) fork which is pretty much spot on with the Specialized Stumpjumper. With the rigid fork that came with it, it's somewhere between 71.5 and 72.

Cevan

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 06:48:09 AM »
My buddy's been using a surly and has no issues. Raced the Vermont 50 without skipping a beat.   The bike will always have a rigid fork on it.
Chris

bxcc

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 04:01:37 PM »
18.3 pounds. That is what mine weights ready to ride with the rigid fork back on. Just in case you were wondering.  ;)

rrrrxx

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 01:01:08 AM »
 ;D

rrrrxx

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 01:02:04 AM »
 8)

carbonazza

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 03:54:44 AM »
Nice bike rrrrxx ! It must be light.
What kind of mono-speed "derailleur" is this?

gohloum

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »
SS thread! Nice.  There is this guy, Brian, who rides with us from time to time on a single speed, and quite honestly, I think he is faster than most of my group and many of them have podium placed in the Florida Circuit races. 

Anyway, since you guys are talking about SS drive systems, he has a custom TI bike with a belt drive system. I believe it is this one: https://www.sevencycles.com/spotlight/belt-drive.php

I got a chance to take it for a quick spin and I have to say that belt drive is pretty slick!  Lighter, and smoother.  You don't realize you can feel your chain until you dig into a belt drive. The sensation is so fluid!

They aren't cheap by any means, but definitely worth looking into.  I do know he said something about a tensioner wheel he added to the system as he was having problems with the belt coming off.  Since he installed it, it's been perfect.... The guy rides heavy 1 to 2 times a day.... He's an animal, LOL!

Anyway, if you have questions about it, I can get in touch with him and get you more info from his first hand experience.

carbonazza

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 04:49:15 PM »
I always wondered how many teeth front/back you choose to put on a SS when you start.
And does he change the ring or sprocket depending on the planned route?

Cevan

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 09:11:30 AM »
I'll be using a 32/20, which is good for our New England terrain.
Chris

byrt

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 07:39:24 PM »
8)

Beautiful, Can you please tell us more about your choosing components, is that 29" wheels? which hub did you use for a single speed?