Author Topic: Changing the pivot bolts on the 036  (Read 2942 times)

carbonazza

Changing the pivot bolts on the 036
« on: December 27, 2016, 05:40:09 PM »
Did someone changed the bolts of the pivots that came with their 036 frame?
If so do you have the references?

I checked my brother's bike today, as he had a very poor shifting with his Eagle drive train.
The surprising reason was the chain was cut just too small.
And when the derailleur was moving to the smaller sprocket, a piece of the derailleur itself was touching just a little the top pulley and prevented it shifting easily.
Now with two links more, the derailleur presents another angle when coming to the smaller sprocket and shifts perfect as expected.

But then I checked the pivot bolts, and they were almost all loose( bad me, I didn't check them after receiving the frame... )
Luckily none of them was lost.
I re-tightened them all, with some Loctite.
However the hex heads are really poor and I would like to change them.

karstenhorn

Re: Changing the pivot bolts on the 036
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 01:18:05 AM »
Did someone changed the bolts of the pivots that came with their 036 frame?
If so do you have the references?

I checked my brother's bike today, as he had a very poor shifting with his Eagle drive train.
The surprising reason was the chain was cut just too small.
And when the derailleur was moving to the smaller sprocket, a piece of the derailleur itself was touching just a little the top pulley and prevented it shifting easily.
Now with two links more, the derailleur presents another angle when coming to the smaller sprocket and shifts perfect as expected.

But then I checked the pivot bolts, and they were almost all loose( bad me, I didn't check them after receiving the frame... )
Luckily none of them was lost.
I re-tightened them all, with some Loctite.
However the hex heads are really poor and I would like to change them.

Hello

I did chance mine as they did not fit, too short and too small in diameter. Long story short, no help at all from Peter so I fixed the issue with buying some bushing bolts mend for mounting rear shocks. They were a bit too long but I shortened them in order to fit. They did reduce my flex issue a bit but it is still far from perfect.

Here is a link to my thread regarding the issue: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,906.0.html

Karsten

DandyAndy

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 02:50:27 PM »
Dear both, after reading Karsten's post more carefully, I understand that the diameter of pivot bolts is the same as shock bolts - 8mm. right? In this case and if you are not against titanium modding the solution for our problems could be those Ti posts like I bought. Look at this post of mine: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,1075.15.html
As for the shock axle - my problem was they are not long enough. But pivots are shorter, and there are shorter bolts made by chinese. The available dimensions are 13,17,21,25,31,35 and 37 mm total length. The difference that aluminum pivot bolts delivered with frame accept M5 screws and those Ti posts  - M6.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:02:38 PM by DandyAndy »

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:15:00 AM »
I finished my build maybe 6 months ago on my 036, at what point do you think I should tear it all apart and re-lube everything? Has anyone done this more than once?

DandyAndy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 04:16:44 PM »
Tear apart - maybe. And still I wouldn't recommend such drastic measures. May be if you have worries - open, and take a look would be enough for the beginning? But why do you want to re-lube everything?

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 07:35:23 AM »
I know I had read previously on here that someone was noticing significant wear on the carbon parts due to rubbing. I probably won't tear it all down just because of the pain go get it all together again. Plus, I haven't heard anything while riding that suggests wear.

DandyAndy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 11:25:08 AM »
We were discussing rear pivot joints. For whatever reasons (there could be few) Karsten's bolts seems to be somewhat too short, so they rested just on one side and started to rub opposite side of the joint. That have little to do with grease of lube though. Bearings are sealed and IMHO you should not put any grease anywhere where it doesn't belong, particularly into joints outside of the bearings. Grease is a dirt magnet and resulting grit will grind carbon parts pretty fast. Though on the other hand I believe that at least accepting part of the joint is alloy. I can post a pic of joint insides if you want.
Carbon is indeed grinded super easy. Coat, paint, finish you have on the frame are actually much harder than carbon in that respect. I grinded a carbon tube - it goes almost as easy as graphite!