Author Topic: Thoughts on a more aggressive build on a 057?  (Read 2586 times)

kepper

Thoughts on a more aggressive build on a 057?
« on: December 31, 2016, 04:14:50 PM »
So i've never had a carbon bike, but after some research on this site I'm intrigued!  Im looking to build a HT 29er to compliment my bigger FS more all mountain bike (kona process 153).  I'd like this HT to be a bit of a do it all (bikepacking/big trail days/more mellow trails) as I'm a traveling physical therapist and sometimes wind up on trails that arent as technical as the Colorado/Utah/Arizona area where I normally ride and the 6 inches of travel is a bit overkill most of the time.  I dont race (def not XC) and def like to descend more....so i have a few questions from you experts out there!

I as looking at frame options like the canfield yeli, kona honzo, ect (more progressive geo type HT's) but cant convince myself to build a HT that weighs close to 30 lbs (kinda defeats the point)...but I also cant convince myself to drop 4-5K on the honzo carbon or canfield epo either

My thoughts are that the 057 is the frame that seems to be a pretty good sweet spot, and I as thinking of specing it with a 120mm fork and likely a dropper with a bit of a burlier overall build.  Im thinking that it would probably slack out to around 67.5-68 deg in riding position and I'm hoping to land under 25lbs for under $2K. 

Does this seem reasonable?  Would this leave me with something that pedals and climbs like a goat but can still get a little rowdie on the descents (small jumps and drops but nothing crazy).  Do you guys use any frame protection?  Has anyone built something similar to this and have insight?  Any other frames I should be considering? Any frames with internal routing for a dropper?  and most importantly, is this just a dumb idea haha?! Thanks in advance!

Patrick C.

Re: Thoughts on a more aggressive build on a 057?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 07:02:52 PM »
Definitely can do it, there's another thread about making a Workswell 062 (very similar frame) more "trail".  Get some wide carbon rims (~30 mm internal width) and 2.4 tires (the fattest that will fit) for the rear, and get the fattest tire that will fit in your fork.  With a dropper that's about all you can do, but that bike would handle any trail I'd be comfortable riding at speed.

adbl

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 06:31:32 PM »
I have an 057 bike and built it as an XC bike. I've been riding it hard and have had no issues! However, i 'm doing a similar thing as you, that is, making it more "trail worthy". I'm ordering a set of carbon wheels 33mm inside width to go along with 2.35 Maxxis Ardent Race rubber. This will make the frame as "trail worthy" as possible. I'm not going to make a fork change though. I'm running an X-Fusion Trace that has a 34mm forks and 100mm travel. For where i live and ride there is no need for any more travel. I can make 2-3 foot drops with no worries and that's about all you'll get here in NC!

If you'd like to go to a 120mm travel fork i think that would be fine. Yes, it will slack up the geometry a bit but not like a true trail bike. With a 120mm fork and a 29er wheel the downhill handling will be good for a hardtail. I believe you'll find it adequate!

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 09:18:55 PM »
Well I can't say that I've built or used my 057 as "burlier" trail bike bc I mostly just ride cross country.. but I can tell you that I weigh about 230 pounds all geared up and have not babied the frame or taken it easy on it or really even thought about it at all. I've ridden it hard for almost 3 years now and I went from being weary of carbon fiber in general and really cautious of Chinese carbon to having complete confidence in this frame. It doesn't creak or flex or show any signs of weakness that I have noticed. Also, after reading the forums all this time I haven't seen a single failure reported with this frame. Of course this is all anecdotal but I feel pretty confident this frame will meet your needs. That said, it technically is a cross country frame. That's my disclaimer.

Here's a pic that I found before I built mine that I really liked, and it looks as if it's perhaps built up close to what you have in mind, not sure what size fork that is though:

Good luck and post pics!

kepper

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 03:06:54 PM »
thanks for all the input!  I must say that picture is pretty much what I have in mind, with maybe a little more bling haha.  Glad to hear the 57 holds up well!  Ive heard the carbonspeed site is the main place people get these, any other options? 

gohloum

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 09:12:11 PM »
I did a CS MB01 that weighs in at 20.3 lbs.  Went with carbon wheels from Peter and running tubeless.  The most expensive part on my bike is the Fox Step Cast fork.  You could probably go with something cheaper to keep the cost down and still be sub 22 lbs.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 09:28:26 PM »
thanks for all the input!  I must say that picture is pretty much what I have in mind, with maybe a little more bling haha.  Glad to hear the 57 holds up well!  Ive heard the carbonspeed site is the main place people get these, any other options?

Peter at carbonspeed is pretty much the go to around here. I went through him to get my frame and can confidently recommend him. I think most people have had a good experiences with Workswell, as well.