Author Topic: XM Carbon Speed Wheels?  (Read 7694 times)

walkerjrz

XM Carbon Speed Wheels?
« on: January 20, 2017, 11:55:39 AM »
Anyone have any feed back or experience using carbon wheels bought from XM Carbon Speed (Peter?) I am looking at picking up the DSS-HR940C 40mm external width rims with DT Swiss 350 hubs. Just wondering what the consensuses is on carbon wheels from Peter or this specific set of wheels. Quality, etc. Thanks!

Additional information: I will be using these on a FS 29er build, 150mm front travel 135mm in the rear. I am a large aggressive rider (240 lbs.)   

Carbon_Dude

Re: XM Carbon Speed Wheels?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »
Mine were very nice carbon wheels.  I've since sold the bike but the rims were top quality.  Definitely get the DT Swiss hubs, the only issue I ever had with my wheels were with cheaper, lower quality hubs.

You should be really happy with the wheels from Peter, don't hesitate, it's a really nice upgrade.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
My brother bought laced wheels(30mm for XC) from Peter and he is happy. No problem after a few months.

I ordered the same rims, the spokes, nipples and DT240 hubs from Peter too. But unmounted.
The rims are the 30mm without holes( you move the nipples with a magnet ).

There was some plastic bag remaining inside the rim preventing the nipples to freely move.
But with some patience, I laced the wheel without problem.
And after a few thousands of km, they didn't move at all. I'm very happy too.

gohloum

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:45:16 PM »
I've also got the 30mm wheels... was running out of $$$ so I went with the Novatec hubs.  The rear hub nut came lose, but I prob should have checked it first before I put it on the bike.  All is good after tightening.   I'm on a hardtail and I beat the living crap out of them and they have held up fine.  Got mine from Peter as well along with my frame.  Hope to get a second set with DT Swiss and better freehub by summer.  I will buy from Peter again.  Very happy with the product.

walkerjrz

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:12:46 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I just placed the order through Peter for the 40mm wide rims with, DT Swiss 350 hubs, Sapim spokes. I'll post pictures and a review when I receive them.

Anyone have any other experience with any other Chinese wheel companies? Light Bicycle, Nextie, Yishun? When I look at the map of Xiamen it looks like they are all within a 5 miles radius. Makes me wonder if they all use the same manufacturing facility. Anyone know anything about this?

Cevan

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 06:28:46 PM »
I just got my 68mm fat bike carbon wheelset from Carbonspeed today.  Literally just unboxed them.  They 'look' beautiful.  Can't see a single flaw.   
Chris

adbl

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 09:07:50 AM »
When I look at the map of Xiamen it looks like they are all within a 5 miles radius. Makes me wonder if they all use the same manufacturing facility. Anyone know anything about this?

That is what happens a lot in China as in any parts supply business. A lot of sellers but only a couple of "manufacturers". I remember reading posts in MTBR Forums a year or so ago where members actually were in China on business and took the time to visit some of the bike manufacturers. If my memory serves me correct, they were impressed to see a real factory with real people producing real bike frames and parts. Can't remember which companies though. I'm sure if you search the forums you can find some info.

We would all feel more comfortable dealing with the actual manufacturer but in all reality, as long as you get good communication and good service and a willingness to stand behind what they sell, you can't get any better than that!

Squashman

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 05:46:01 PM »
What does everyone recommend for XC wheels from XM Carbon Speed?  I still ride an old Gary Fisher SuperFly 100. Model year 2010.  Going to finally upgrade to a 1x SRAM drivetrain so I need new wheels as they don't make a XD driver for those old Bontrager RXL wheels.  Plus it is probably time to retire that old FOX RLC fork.  Still works great though.

gohloum

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 08:03:57 PM »
Squashman, I just replied to your PM. But for other readers, I would say it's a matter of personal preference.  I have been experimenting with wider rims which spreads the tires out a bit more and aids in contact to the ground.  Also the sidewalls become a bit more vertical and it makes them more rigid. I can run a little lower pressure... Only a pound or 2, but I am able to maintain low rolling resistance as if I had higher pressure.  Generally, a wider carbon rim with a narrower tire will weigh in a few grams less. Not much and it's very dependent on the tire carcass design, but it's rotational weight which is expensive to the rider.

Depending on he rider's size, I would go no smaller than 30mm and if running a 2.35, try a 2.25 as an example.  a 36-40mm would allow for a 2.1 and you would still have a very similar contact patch.  Circumference and cushion from the tire reduces a little, but you will get considerably more contact patch with the wider rim.

bxcc

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 09:58:15 PM »
I think this would be a good start. My wife has these rims laced up to Hope Pro4 hubs and they’ve been great for a season and a half. If going for the full wheelset, I would go for DT 350 hubs.

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.cn/29er-am-mtb-carbon-wheels-clincher_p0156.html

Here is another option. A bit narrower though. Peter could build the wheels with these too. T800 would save similar weight as going with CX-Ray spokes and cost the same, but the weight is further out so that might be the better benefit.

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.cn/29er-34mm-wide-mtb-29-carbon-rim-clincher_p0080.html

If you’re staying in the 2.2 to 2.3 tire size, 26mm to 30mm inner width would be my recommendation. I’ve been running 2.25 to 2.35 tires on 30mm inner rims for 4 seasons now. This year I’m going 32mm inner with 2.6” tires.

johnnydamage

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 09:57:56 AM »
just made these sub 1200 gram wheelset 28mm outer width somilar domensions to stans valor. laser sapim spokes. all in was $650 Canadian.

Klaster_1

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 09:24:34 PM »
just made these sub 1200 gram wheelset 28mm outer width somilar domensions to stans valor. laser sapim spokes. all in was $650 Canadian.
It's amazing how open mold rims allow to build light wheels for a reasonable price. If you go all out, even a sub-1kg doesn't sound impossible anymore and the price will be less than 2k.

MTB2223

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 05:08:16 AM »
Please, tell me more. Which type of rims ? And the hubs are Novatec D412SB/D412SB Thru Axle ?
Awesome weight.

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 08:12:32 AM »
... just made these sub 1200 gram wheelset...
Damn! Where did you shave 23g ?  ;)

johnnydamage

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 11:35:51 AM »
thanks ! glad you guys like them. here  are the rims I used       http://s.aliexpress.com/Z7bqIVjq?fromSns
laser sapim spokes 24h front and rear from eBay
hubs  =   http://s.aliexpress.com/2yA7Rryy?fromSns
included bare rim weights
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:43:11 AM by johnnydamage »