Author Topic: 26" CX/Gravel Tires Needed  (Read 3666 times)

sagebum

26" CX/Gravel Tires Needed
« on: March 12, 2017, 10:44:21 AM »
I am building a 26" gravel bike for my wife.  I could not find a 29/27.5 CX/Gravel frame or bike with a low enough stand over height so settled on a Tideace 26er mtb carbon frame and fork.  Top tube length was a consideration too.  My question is:  Can anyone suggest a suitable 26" tire for light gravel and paved/gravel rails to trails riding.  I am thinking fairly narrow as in 1/14 to 1/38 or 32mm to 35mm widths and fairly light.  I have looked a lot but not sure what to get. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Moderator:  Is it appropriate to post this over on the CX section too?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:47:30 AM by sagebum »

bxcc

Re: 26" CX/Gravel Tires Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »
I put the WTB Bronson Race 2.1's on my kids bike (same frame as your using) and they seem good so far. They might be slightly more aggressive than you are looking for though. I weighed both and the claimed weight of 600g is spot on. They setup tubeless nicely with Stans Crest rims. Also, Nashbar is running a 25% promotion so you can get 3 for $57 shipped (in the US). I know they are bigger than you requested but they are relatively light and really affordable.

What's your plan for wheels? I have some 26" Reynolds carbon mountain bike wheels that I've been debating about selling. Inner width is 17mm and they are on Reynolds hubs, made by Chosen, with DT Revolution spokes. Weight is just over 1500g.

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10052_10053_527325_-1_catNav

sagebum

Re: 26" CX/Gravel Tires Needed
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 05:37:57 PM »
Thanks for the ideas bxcc.  For 2.1s those WTBs are light and very reasonably priced.  Yes, I really want to stick to 1.5 or at most 1.75.  She will ride mostly rail to trails and mostly light gravel and crushed limestone paths with some asphalt.  At 100 lbs. I am looking to set up a light bike for her.  Since posting I have spent a lot of time looking and perhaps the Panaracer Pasela 1.5 or 1.75 tires will be a good match.  Those carbon wheels of yours would be sweet but I have a pair of Mavics that will have to do at about 1800.  I also have a budget.  :(  It will be fun putting this together and I'll post some progress pics.  This website is a great resource.