Author Topic: Do I have to change any parts?  (Read 3121 times)

EPohle15

Do I have to change any parts?
« on: February 06, 2017, 12:40:54 AM »
Hi guys, so I'm going to buy this frame: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FVXAD5C/ref=mh_s9_acsd_topr_b6yNQcF_c_x_8_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-5&pf_rd_r=MBP241TEHWX9TQ1GEHCJ&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_p=10ad2661-de23-55b1-91ed-c18b3d841da6&pf_rd_i=6388961011&th=1&psc=1#mobile-twister_size_name_1486200629007

I'm not very experienced with Changing parts, so I thought I'd come here and ask about it. Right now, I have a Raleigh kodiak 1: http://mikesbikes.com/m/product/raleigh-kodiak-1-220701-1.htm

My question is: Can I just take off all my parts from my Raleigh and put the new frame on? Or do I have to buy a bunch of new parts? I'm fine with buying a new headset or bolts or something so that I can use the frame, but not buying new forks or anything. If you can help, thanks!
                                      ~Erik

carbonazza

Re: Do I have to change any parts?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 03:27:18 AM »
I'm afraid it is not that easy.

The headset does not seem to match.
Your current bike's headset is straight, the new frame is tapered( top and bottom of different diameters).
A new fork would be best.
But there are adapters that exists to reduce the bottom diameter, and reuse your fork, but it may be clunky.

There is no indications of the bottom bracket of your current bike, but chances are it is BSA which is threaded and fairly standard on older bikes.
So you could keep the crankset, and the full transmission(rings, cassette, derailleurs, shifters, chain).

The rear wheel is probably 135mm wide, while this frame use the boost standard of 148mm.
So you'll need at least a new rear wheel.

The seatpost is probably wider on the new frame, and you probably would need a larger one.

EPohle15

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 10:11:19 PM »
Wow thanks, I wish it was as simple as I thought. So I would need a new fork, seatpost, and a new rear wheel? Is that all or is there more?

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 04:58:33 AM »
Reading again, even the crankset could be to narrow for the bottom bracket width of the new frame.
You need to check the headset, seatpost, BB and rear wheel.

Measure your headset and see if it fits. No here.
Measure the width of the rear wheel if it fits. No here.
Check the type of BB, and its width. Not sure anymore.

The new frame is probably designed for another fork than your current.
So probably your front wheel will not fit.

I guess you start to get it, there are many different standards with these contact points, and you need to measure them to see if they fit.
And if they do not change too much the geometry the bike was designed for.

EPohle15

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 09:14:46 AM »
Alright, I'll measure everything. Thanks