Author Topic: Klaster_1's Dengfu M06 build  (Read 26762 times)

Klaster_1

Klaster_1's Dengfu M06 build
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:42:43 AM »
This is my first 29er and full suspension bike, before that I was riding a meager Merida Matts TFS-100 2011. Not the first chinese frame, though.

Build list. Main goal was to reuse most of components from Merida for now and upgrade some parts later. I also wanted to try wider internal rims and not to save any money on wheels, since these are pain in the ass to rebuild (can't reuse spokes or rims, low local resale chance). The target weight is sub 10kg, which I failed to achieve  :'(

It will take awhile to complete the build, some parts are still en route or not shipped/ordered. I'd especially appreciate your help with shock bushings.

So, the frame. The price was 660USD for frame, 15USD for headset and 185USD for shipment/fees. 845USD in total.

Some notes:
  • Bottom bracket insides look different from this image. One of faces has a tiny bit of extra material, you can see it on pic 6.
  • Front shock pivot bolt was tough to extract. I had to keep the male bolt in place while unscrewing the female one. Front shock pivot inserts look kinda rought.
  • Even without pivot bolts weight doesn't fit into claimed 1900±45g. It's 2018g without bolts for 19.5" size.
  • Without shock arm stroke is about 8.5cm. How do I measure correct stroke? Am I supposed to do that with shock sans air, completely installed with bushings?
  • First attempt to measure shock mount points gave ~21.3mm for front and ~21.6-21.8 for rear. I'll try to measure again later.
  • Tire clearance at widest points, without actual tire: top – 81mm, bottom – 75mm.
  • There are two integrated liners inside made from CF. One of them ends at seat tube bend, I think you can route a dropper seatpost remote housing through it. The other tube exits in front of the shock underneath the top tube.

And a bit about wheels:

Considering I'm not that heavy at about 65kg and no rough trails, I hope 28 spokes will be more than enough. The rims are interesting, Carbonfan Bicycle lists these as designed for AM use. I've contacted them about making a pair at lower range of claimed 400±15g, which they agreed to. Both rims turned out at ~375g. Complete wheelset weights 1280g. With narrower rims you could easily do a sub-1200g combo.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:17:48 AM by Klaster_1 »

adbl

Re: Klaster_1's Dengfu M06 build
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:54:19 AM »
Interesting build! I've been contemplating building one of these for a while now. I'll be interested in how it turns out and what you think of the performance. I'm most curious about the pedaling efficiency.

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 06:37:33 AM »
Both rims turned out at ~375g. Complete wheelset weights 1280g. With narrower rims you could easily do a sub-1200g combo.
Nice light wheels. Some questions :)
What width are your rims?
Is it the first time you use Extralite hubs?
And finally what spokes did you use?

Klaster_1

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 06:45:27 AM »
What width are your rims?
35mm external, 29mm internal, hookless.
Is it the first time you use Extralite hubs?
Yup.
And finally what spokes did you use?
Pillar PSR X-TRA 1420.

You can check out complete build list with weights, prices and notes here.

xcfreak

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 03:15:43 PM »
Awesome, I am also looking at this frame, looking forward to see how this comes together!

Good Luck!

Klaster_1

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:14:06 AM »
Meanwhile, I've decided put rear tire on to see how everything looks together. Thunder Burt 2.2" didn't require levers at all, but was still too loose in order to seat with track pump. After some muscling, I've managed to pull the tire on about half the bead on both sides, which finally allowed to pump air. It measures 54mm on a 29mm inner rim, that's 4mm short of 2.2". Seatstay clearance is about 13mm in every direction, maybe a bit less at chainstays. Claimed 2.3" clearances seems about right, I guess tires up to 60mm should be fine. I'll post tomorrow about air loss without sealant.

I've also ordered more stuff:
  • One RWC needle kit in 22.2mm for rocker arm shock eyelet. Didn't decide about frame one, but probably something Fox-style.
  • A shock bushing tool from local manufacturer, about 15.5USD including tracked shipping.
  • A set of Xpedo M-Force 8 Ti to hit sub-10kg goal.

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 03:26:15 AM »
Next time, you can try this less muscular trick: inflate a tube inside the tire (not mounted) for a few hours or the night before.
The tire takes a better, more rounded shape.
Then put it on, and hear this nice double pop come much more easily.

Another advice is to use a removable-core valve.
Once the tire is inflated and beaded, unscrew the core and inject the fluid with a 60ml syringe.
It helps too, when refilling every couple of months or so.
It is clean and keep the fluid inside the tire only :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:24:02 AM by carbonazza »

MTB2223

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 09:25:38 AM »
Then put it on, and hear this nice double pop come much easier.
And to hear this nice double pop a little bit quicker, spray your tire sides with soapy water. It will pops quicker and with less tire pressure.

Polo7

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 01:10:19 PM »
Hey Klaster_1,

"...One RWC needle kit in 22.2mm for rocker arm shock eyelet. Didn't decide about frame one, but probably something Fox-style."

Very interested in the rear shock you select/purchase for this frame. 

xcfreak

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »

• One RWC needle kit in 22.2mm for rocker arm shock eyelet. Didn't decide about frame one, but probably something Fox-style.

Would it be possible to see a picture of these bearings when you install the shock, I am a little confused about what is included in the frame purchase, and what additional hardware is required for mounting the rear shock.

RS VR6

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 04:25:09 PM »
That's some good stretch on those tires. :o

Klaster_1

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 08:05:31 PM »
Next time, you can try this less muscular trick: inflate a tube inside the tire (not mounted) for a few hours or the night before.
Interesting advice, never heard this one before. Will a 26 tube fit? I didn't buy any 29 tubes yet.

Another advice is to use a removable-core valve.
And to hear this nice double pop a little bit quicker, spray your tire sides with soapy water. It will pops quicker and with less tire pressure.
Yeah, that's what I usually do, but decided to try everything dry to save time. Btw, the tire did stay inflated first night, then at 20h mark it lost the pressure. I hope there aren't any leaks sealant won't fix.

Very interested in the rear shock you select/purchase for this frame. 
Nothing special, I went with a reasonably priced Manitou Radium Pro. It came with two DU bushings preinstalled.

Would it be possible to see a picture of these bearings when you install the shock, I am a little confused about what is included in the frame purchase, and what additional hardware is required for mounting the rear shock.
Sure, I'll post more updates when new items arrive. It will take at least several weeks for RWC bearings. The frame includes only two binding posts (see photo in OP), you have to get two shock mounting kits, exact items depend on what your shock of choice comes with.

Charly42

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 08:11:03 AM »
hi klaster

i'm french and, on a french forum, a men have the same frame(19"), but he have a problem with this frame :
on big jump, or if the rear shock have 0 air the little  reinforcement on the rear come to touch the seat tube!!!!! if big jump, it's possible bracke the frame...

more information on this forum(french) http://light-bikes.fr/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1020 (16 post).

do you have same problem? maybe look that (with 0 bar on your rear shock).

thanks for help

charly

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 12:10:19 PM »
Interesting advice, never heard this one before. Will a 26 tube fit? I didn't buy any 29 tubes yet.

Not sure a 26" tube will be big enough, but it is easy to try.
The over-inflated tube will look ugly for sure :)

MickeF

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
hi klaster

i'm french and, on a french forum, a men have the same frame(19"), but he have a problem with this frame :
on big jump, or if the rear shock have 0 air the little  reinforcement on the rear come to touch the seat tube!!!!! if big jump, it's possible bracke the frame...

more information on this forum(french) http://light-bikes.fr/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1020 (16 post).

do you have same problem? maybe look that (with 0 bar on your rear shock).

thanks for help

charly

Hi,
is it possible that he's using a shorter shock?, e.g. 152 mm instead of the required 165/38mm?
/Micke