Author Topic: Klaster_1's Dengfu M06 build  (Read 26756 times)

Midwest-MTBer

Re: Klaster_1's Dengfu M06 build
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »
Looks really good! I'm really curious how this frame compares to the 036.
Definitely an upgrade in terms of linkage. The geometry is very different, two different beasts.

When you finish your build and feel like you know the bike, I'd be really interested in a thread comparing them. Not only the geometry, but ride quality too!

steven-iam

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2017, 06:21:14 AM »
BB30 cranks in BB92 - done.
what adapter did you use to fit a BB30 crank?

dementia

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2017, 06:25:11 AM »
I don't know how to have a correct feedback with a Thunder Burt as front tyre ...

charlesrg

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2017, 08:45:02 AM »
Looks really good! I'm really curious how this frame compares to the 036.
Definitely an upgrade in terms of linkage. The geometry is very different, two different beasts.

When you finish your build and feel like you know the bike, I'd be really interested in a thread comparing them. Not only the geometry, but ride quality too!

I already finished the build. Already tried it. I've 057 and a M06 now. I took the parts of the 036 to build the m06. I posted the picture already.

Klaster_1

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2017, 11:20:24 AM »
Well, it works and feels way smoother than 26" hardtail, more stable. Housings in BB area held in place without hot glue trick. Tomorrow I'll to ride in a more hilly area, but TB didn't cause any troubles on relatively flat hardpack, not much of gravel / sand to make opinion on that.

what adapter did you use to fit a BB30 crank?
RaceFace BB92 30mm cinch bottom bracket. From my experience, BSA30 cranks tend to include a wavy washer, at least my Vumaquad did. With no way to source one, I first checked if cranks fit without BB "seals", which it did. Given the seals are actually more of T-shaped plastic washers, no resin like on Rotor BSA30 counterpart, I just sanded them until crank was snug and didn't bind bearings when torqued. You can actually grind non-driveside spacer as much as you need, because nds crankarm collar to spindle interface has similar diameter and will fit into inner race surface nicely. Maybe add some material with hot glue to shorten the gap.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:29:39 AM by Klaster_1 »

Klaster_1

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2017, 10:05:47 AM »
Sorry for abysmal quality, but I figured these were better than nothing. Maybe I'll have a better phone camera next time something changes on the bike.

adbl

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »
Very nice!!!

Klaster_1

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2017, 03:09:15 AM »
Last weekend ride turned out to be super messy: rain, dirt, more rain and clay, which got everywhere. I've been cleaning bike on and off for a whole week. Suspension linkages had to be checked and cleaned too, somewhat scary the first time you do it! Here's some photos other M06 owners might be interested in: rocker arm area without rocker arm
, same from another point, rocker arm scale shot (229g), rocker arm inner side, bottom pivot bearing, chainstay clay scars, bottom bracket clay/chain drop scars, bottom pivot area before cleaning, bottom pivot axle scale shot (25g), bearing washer scale shot, RD hanger, RD hanger bolt.

And some notes:
  • Main pivot axle is solid, you could probably drill it out for minor weight savings.
  • None of bearings had grease for extra protection. It's only a rubber seal and aluminium washer.
  • All pivots use Takino 6901RS bearings. Four in rocker arm, two in bottom pivot. After cleaning, all bearing run smooth.
  • There's a bunch of washer to compress inner bearing races, 6 or 8 in total (forgot how much upper rocker arm pivot has, 2 or 0). Dimensions are 18x12.3x3mm (take this with a grain of salt). Each weights 2.14g. I think you can replace these with polycarbonate ones, but not sure if this is a good idea.
  • Rocker arm looks overbuilt compared to similar design of FRM Anakin or even ICAN S8.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:12:08 AM by Klaster_1 »

carbonazza

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2017, 10:39:50 AM »
Do not worry, in a couple of months, you will not see the scars anymore  ;)
Thank you for the detailed pictures.

Klaster_1

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2017, 08:53:59 AM »
I've got a new phone with a better camera! Today was the first successful ride after the clay incident, even after thorough cleaning and a dose of lube the chain produces annoying grinding noise. I guess I'll have to replace it. Also got a great deal on 1099 cassette, it shifts different compared to 771: snappy and loud.

Klaster_1

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2017, 10:08:07 PM »
This weekend ti shock binding posts from titaniumplant were delivered, here's a photo. Too bad things didn't proceed as smooth as I hoped for: rear binding post had to be shortened like the previous one, but works fine as far as I can tell; the front binding post didn't seem to cause any trouble during installation, but right before test ride I noticed that Fox polymer shock bushing clicks against it when move the bike vertically a bit. 10 minutes swap back to original binding post fixed the issue, but this kept annoying me through entire ride :-\ Any ideas? My only guess would be a bad case of tolerances mismatch between fox bushing sleeve and new binding post sleeve, the RWC bearing works fine.

ArAddict

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2017, 05:59:00 AM »
Im thinking of putting a 120-130mm front fork on mine instead of the 100mm SID im running now since im riding way more techinal trails at the moment, and tend to use my CX/Gravelbike for anything else. How do you find the handling/change of geometry with your 120mm fork or does it just feel as great as it looks :) I asked Deng Fu and they replied the frame is specs for 100-110mm travel so Im abit concerd how a longer fork would affect geometry but also headset stress even though the headset angle wouldnt be affected much according to my calculations.

Doing some research the current Rockshox SID XX 100mm 29 has an AC (axel to crown) measurement of 526mm and the Fox 32 130mm 29" has 530.8mm, so the difference is in reality only 4 mm between the forks AC. I checked the Manitou Mattoc Pro 120mm and it has 531mm AC, so just abit more then the Fox.

I cant see how more travel without a much longer AC measurement would put more stress on the frame then running a 100/110mm of any brand, or do I miss something here with the longer stroke etc ?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:01:35 AM by ArAddict »

Klaster_1

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2017, 11:08:26 PM »
How do you find the handling/change of geometry with your 120mm fork or does it just feel as great as it looks :)
No complaints from me about handling, with 530 axle to crown, 2cm of spacers and flat bar the bike feels very stable. During several rides with slammed stem it became more responsive, akin to my previous 26" hardtail (almost same reach/stack) which I liked too. In case you want more saddle to bar drop, there's a lot of places to shave stack off left (reversed riser bar, -17/20 degree stem, reducing travel). Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I'm not that experienced of rider to notice small handling or geometry changes.

I asked Deng Fu and they replied the frame is specs for 100-110mm travel so Im abit concerd how a longer fork would affect geometry but also headset stress even though the headset angle wouldnt be affected much according to my calculations.
Given my previous experience with open mold dealers, support personell (Melodies, Jennies and so on) know shit about actual frames sans what instructions say. Several centimeters are nothing to bother about, just like you said even same travel forks from different manufacturers can vary that much, add travel adjustment to equation and you pretty much get into very vague limits of what frame can handle.

If you want to try more travel, I'd get my hands on adjustable fork in desired travel range and try out what's best for you by riding it in different setups.

ArAddict

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2017, 01:31:13 AM »
How do you find the handling/change of geometry with your 120mm fork or does it just feel as great as it looks :)
No complaints from me about handling, with 530 axle to crown, 2cm of spacers and flat bar the bike feels very stable. During several rides with slammed stem it became more responsive, akin to my previous 26" hardtail (almost same reach/stack) which I liked too. In case you want more saddle to bar drop, there's a lot of places to shave stack off left (reversed riser bar, -17/20 degree stem, reducing travel). Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I'm not that experienced of rider to notice small handling or geometry changes.

I asked Deng Fu and they replied the frame is specs for 100-110mm travel so Im abit concerd how a longer fork would affect geometry but also headset stress even though the headset angle wouldnt be affected much according to my calculations.
Given my previous experience with open mold dealers, support personell (Melodies, Jennies and so on) know shit about actual frames sans what instructions say. Several centimeters are nothing to bother about, just like you said even same travel forks from different manufacturers can vary that much, add travel adjustment to equation and you pretty much get into very vague limits of what frame can handle.

If you want to try more travel, I'd get my hands on adjustable fork in desired travel range and try out what's best for you by riding it in different setups.

Great info! And just my thought about the frame durability. Getting a 2nd hand Fox 130mm travel next week that I will try on the bike.

sclyde2

« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2017, 05:30:07 AM »

Doing some research the current Rockshox SID XX 100mm 29 has an AC (axel to crown) measurement of 526mm

I'm not sure where you are getting 526mm for that fork.  From what I've read, it is closer to 506mm.