Author Topic: 057 Cable and hose routing question  (Read 1896 times)

gohloum

057 Cable and hose routing question
« on: March 08, 2017, 10:39:39 AM »
Quick question,  I just received an 057 for a build and as I am looking at the cable routing, I assume the housing for the shifter butts up to the frame, and the steel cable runs through the teflon tubing.

However, for the brakes, they will be brake line hose, not cables.  I am wondering how to get the hose run through the frame.  Any suggestions?

Carbon_Dude

Re: 057 Cable and hose routing question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »
When I built my -057 I ran bare cable through the frame and had cable housing outside the frame on either end.  I believe this is the way the cable was intended to be run, and it was very easy to install the shifter this way.  In the 3 or so years that I had the bike, it always shifted well.

However, I have read from a few people who drilled out the entry and exit points in the frame, and removed the inner tubing to be able to run full housing through the frame.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

MTB2223

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 06:02:51 AM »
However, I have read from a few people who drilled out the entry and exit points in the frame, and removed the inner tubing to be able to run full housing through the frame.
That's what I did on my IP-256SL. Still running smooth after 2,5 years.

adbl

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:08:15 AM »
However, for the brakes, they will be brake line hose, not cables.  I am wondering how to get the hose run through the frame.  Any suggestions?

When i built my -057 i thought about the brake hose as well. I took the fittings off the handle end and fed the hose through the frame using the nylon tubing in the frame. It was that easy  :). The hose had to be cut to length so i knew i was going to have to bleed the brakes anyway. Very easy to bleed Shimano XT brakes! I had no issues running anything through my frame. All the nylon tubes are in place, cables and hoses slid right through and nothing rattles when i ride the bike. Could not be any happier  ;D ;D ;D